aberdeen-music

Ok, where should we record?

Hog

Excuse me, But I do actually have quite a large, considerable body of work behind me. I'd like to hear these " High Professional Standard " recordings that you've heard from these studios?

The one clip that you've posted a link to seems perfectly adequate, but it's not full WAV audio and I'm listening to it on a laptop with shitty little speakers, so it's not really possible to discern how good it really is. These days it's possible to accomplish something fit for that purpose at home, which is what more and more musicians are now doing. The MP3 and Internet are slowly but surely negating the need for smaller studios. Most local places survive on selling rehearsal space (and that's been the case since long before the inception of this thread).

I'm not an expert on recording or recording studios but I do know a little bit about business economics. Your business model went the way of the blacksmith some time ago.

Before this gets out of hand, I did not slate, slag off, or belittle anyone, or any of the studios I mentioned. All I did was point out facts that have came about through my own, and other peoples experiences in some of these facilities. I was merely expressing my opinions. Saying someone uses drum samples, and that a live room sounds boxy isn't exactly slagging them off???

You also claimed that one of your competitors ears were fried... amongst other things. That's not very nice now is it?

Yes, and I've known him for many years, and have actually told him that to his face!!

So? It's still not nice. If I called someone a dickhead to their face, it wouldn't really make it much more acceptable would it?

That song seemed ok but you need to post a bigger body of work. Also, I will go out of my way to avoid your studio like the plague after this barrage of insults to local recording studios. I feel that lots of other people will do the same. To quote someone above, you really need a course in marketing, as well as just general etiquette.

So? It's still not nice. If I called someone a dickhead to their face, it wouldn't really make it much more acceptable would it?

That song seemed ok but you need to post a bigger body of work. Also, I will go out of my way to avoid your studio like the plague after this barrage of insults to local recording studios. I feel that lots of other people will do the same. To quote someone above, you really need a course in marketing, as well as just general etiquette.

Well thanks for that !! I've already had two phone calls about the studio this evening since I joined in this thread. :up:

Excuse me, But I do actually have quite a large, considerable body of work behind me. I'd like to hear these " High Professional Standard " recordings that you've heard from these studios?

You could start with the newest Pallas album for starters... 1 might even prove my point!

You could start with the newest Pallas album for starters... 1 might even prove my point!

Mate that's not proving a point !! I'm not doubting the fact that the new Pallas album sounds great, but what you've got to remember is that " DUH!! " Nial owns the studio, and they spent months on that album, NOT A COUPLE OF DAYS!!

Wow. Just... wow! haha

It amazes me when people do this.

You've basically committed marketing suicide on the very forum (and in the very thread) people will look for when trying to find a place to record. Coming onto a forum and saying that you offer a high quality service is quite acceptable, hell, it's intriguing and breeds confidence. Especially if you've got the work behind you to back it up. However, coming on and saying you'll offer a good service and saying why you'll give a better service than any other place in Aberdeen, then stating your "facts" as to how your competition is so bad... well... mind.blown!

I don't get why people get like that. Admittedly, I can be a cock, but I'd much rather help other engineers than slate them. I know a couple of guys in Aberdeen who do really good stuff. Dan Goldsworthy and Nick Scholey do good work. I've learnt a lot from those guys and we've talked about mixing/production at great length. People in the same line of work should be friendly. It's all about lining up contacts and finding work. I know if I was super busy doing stuff (which is unlikely up here) I'd recommend another guy who could do the work and get good results. You'd never be on that list because of your stinky "holier than thou" attitude.

And no, I'm not in any Aberdeen clique!

What is it that makes certain musicians from Aberdeen so small minded? Anything new that comes along and upset's the little clique's apple cart is always frowned upon!

You've got a dreadful attitude. You may have the best studio for miles around, but you've pretty much just guaranteed that I'll never use it. But hey, what do I know? I'm only a paying customer after all, so obviously I'm a total idiot who doesn't know anything about recording.

Mate that's not proving a point !! I'm not doubting the fact that the new Pallas album sounds great, but what you've got to remember is that " DUH!! " Nial owns the studio, and they spent months on that album, NOT A COUPLE OF DAYS!!

Well DUH!! no he doesnt but thats another matter... regardless of the time scale he and his fried ears produced a superb sounding album so lets not get into splitting hairs...

And you are aware that the longer you drag this out the more of a dick you will appear...

Let sattisfied customers do your bragging for you.

G...

Wow. Just... wow! haha

It amazes me when people do this.

You've basically committed marketing suicide on the very forum (and in the very thread) people will look for when trying to find a place to record. Coming onto a forum and saying that you offer a high quality service is quite acceptable, hell, it's intriguing and breeds confidence. Especially if you've got the work behind you to back it up. However, coming on and saying you'll offer a good service and saying why you'll give a better service than any other place in Aberdeen, then stating your "facts" as to how your competition is so bad... well... mind.blown!

I don't get why people get like that. Admittedly, I can be a cock, but I'd much rather help other engineers than slate them. I know a couple of guys in Aberdeen who do really good stuff. Dan Goldsworthy and Nick Scholey do good work. I've learnt a lot from those guys and we've talked about mixing/production at great length. People in the same line of work should be friendly. It's all about lining up contacts and finding work. I know if I was super busy doing stuff (which is unlikely up here) I'd recommend another guy who could do the work and get good results. You'd never be on that list because of your stinky "holier than thou" attitude.

And no, I'm not in any Aberdeen clique!

Yes people in the same line of work should be friendly, but that has never been the case in Aberdeen. I don't actually have a " Holier Than Thou " attitude. The guy from Oceanrock studios got the same reaction when he started the thread about his facility. Someone new comes along, and straight away he was slated about his studio and his gear etc by the usual so called Big Cheese's on here. So what if I've listed facts about other studios, at the end of the day these facts are true!!

What is it that makes certain musicians from Aberdeen so small minded? Anything new that comes along and upset's the little clique's apple cart is always frowned upon!

I was waiting to see how long it would take till this little chestnut made an appearance.

Yes people in the same line of work should be friendly, but that has never been the case in Aberdeen. I don't actually have a " Holier Than Thou " attitude. The guy from Oceanrock studios got the same reaction when he started the thread about his facility. Someone new comes along, and straight away he was slated about his studio and his gear etc by the usual so called Big Cheese's on here. So what if I've listed facts about other studios, at the end of the day these facts are true!!

With all due respect Nathan from Oceanrock was making what some of us considered to be unrealistic claims. You on the other hand came on here, effected the attitude of an omnipotent being, blew your own trumpet, slandered the vast majority of your local competition, quoted some prices (without first providing any positive information whatsoever), offered some reasonable advice, then posted a link to a mediocre website.

What were you expecting? A bunch of ^5's, your 'User CP' to light up with positive rep points, your phone to ring off the hook, and your order book to fill up for the rest of your life?

Hardly...

Well DUH!! no he doesnt but thats another matter... regardless of the time scale he and his fried ears produced a superb sounding album so lets not get into splitting hairs...

And you are aware that the longer you drag this out the more of a dick you will appear...

Let sattisfied customers do your bragging for you.

G...

Well Mate, your the one being the dick. In your opinion it's a superb sounding album, regardless of the timescale? That's what some of the posts on this thread were about? Recording over a short timescale! If you have months to spend in the studio, with semi decent gear working on an album, then of course it's going to sound 100 times better that Joe Blogg's demo that he recorded and mixed in 4 hours?

Last I heard Nial was co-owner of the studio?

With all due respect Nathan from Oceanrock was making what some of us considered to be unrealistic claims. You on the other hand came on here, effected the attitude of an omnipotent being, blew your own trumpet, slandered the vast majority of your local competition, quoted some prices (without first providing any positive information whatsoever), offered some reasonable advice, then posted a link to a mediocre website.

What were you expecting? A bunch of ^5's, your 'User CP' to light up with positive rep points, your phone to ring off the hook, and your order book to fill up for the rest of your life?

Hardly...

Let's be honest here! There are certain individuals on here who will always slate anything new that comes along if they don't like it. I could have a 2,000,000 recording studio, charging 10 an hour, and still the small minded bunch would continue to pay 25 an hour elsewhere. It's always been like that in Aberdeen, and it will never change.