aberdeen-music

The Tunnels

I do really love it in there, I think i like it more and more every time i go.

I dunno what it is but even when empty there is an atmosphere there which i really like.

When i was there on Friday night the sound was awesome, only problem was that the guitars for Open Air were a bit too quiet

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sitting on my own for a while before the other bands arrived and I really liked it. I think it has the potential to be one of Aberdeens best venues. I would love to go to a gig that had a big turn out there and see what it was like.

• 3 weeks later...

I go pretty regularly for gigs and I do like the atmosphere - but at the Gun Club last Friday it was slightly surreal to be there at 9pm with no music and few people! The quality and diversity of acts that play there also makes me rarely consider going to other venues to be honest. As for the drinks, I have been to Unions so much that I don't mind paying a bit more for a better tasting pint, and getting served is pretty easy. Only gripe is that the DJing equipment seems a bit rubbish, at least pre and during gigs, when there is many a skip. However playing "Antics" continuously got my vote...

It's something like a 50 fee and you have to sort the bands etc yourself I think.

As for sound... the stage sound is difficult to work with but that's purely due to the shape of the room... to be honest it's no worse than the Lemon Tree which has always been a bit muddy on stage.

Asides that, I've never found a band too loud... and don't usually talk through a set...

I do admit that I got into trouble for doing so once by that mad bat who was on that band... I forget the name of them... last act at the last Martha dump truck massacre gig... she went on an ego trip and told everyone off. I, personally wasn't talking loudly and was well away from the stage and it really pissed me off so much that I left immediately.

I think I wondered off the point there.

To an extent it's the band's responcibility to entertain the audience... if they are utter pish you can't expect the entire audience to be silient and captivated.

here's the tour dates

Live 2005 Shows:

July 24th - Madison House, Ann Arbor

(w/Greg McIntosh of Great Lakes Myth Society)

August 14th - The Old Town, Ann Arbor

August 26th - Crazy Wisdom, Ann Arbor

Jim Roll (solo) and Mike Ferrio (solo) - U.K. Dates:

sat 9/24 - The Arches, Ullapool

sun9/25 - The Lighthouse

mon9/26 - The Tunnels, Aberdeen

tues9/27 - TBA

wed9/28 - TBA

thu 9/29 - The Maze, Nottingham

fri 9/30 - Katie Fitzgerald's, Stourbridge

sat 10/1 - The Briton's Protection, Manchester

sun 10/2 - Golden Lion, London

mon10/3 - The Borderline, London

tue 10/4 - OFF

wed10/5 - The Musician, Leicester

thu 10/6 - The Bridge, Newcastle

fri 10/7 - Laurie's Bar, Glasgow

sat 10/8 - The Village, Edinburgh

sun 10/9 - The Scotia Bar, Glasgow

There's no hard and fast rule, it depends on the promoter - as the vast majority of nights there are ran by external promoters who might not want kids in there. It depends on the bands really - for instance, you'll find that GFN nights are generally aimed at a younger crowd than the interesting music crowd, so any GFN night is likely to be 14+, whereas interesting music might be over 18's.

Depends how young you are really, I doubt anyone's gonna care if you're 16/17 and there for the gig, but the club nights there are a different matter, i've been thrown out before for not having ID, despite putting gigs there on myself in the past...so i grinned and told the bouncer that i'd be back regardless of what he said ;)

i've been thrown out before for not having ID... so i grinned and told the bouncer that i'd be back regardless of what he said ;)

No! The truth is you've been thrown out for looking like a retard, and as you ran away crying we heard you muttering over your shoulder that you'd be back later... with your parents. Da dah daaaaaaah!

o_O

Hmmm' date=' interesting.[/quote']

I said usually and i've never talked through and entire set...constantly... I don't talk loudly through an accoustic set for example...infact for quieter bands I tend to keep my mouth firmly shut. Noiser bands... I talk... but if I'm there for a chat I'll chuck myself to the back of the room.

you cheeky shit.

Yeah, I ended up leaving after the batty woman's ego trip and went and saw AKA the fox instead.

She wasn't even good! She was like some middle aged hippy - with an absolutely whipped guitarist - who basically just kept making high pitched wailing noises with reverb.

• 2 weeks later...