aberdeen-music

The Byrds

delboy

Guest DustyDeviada

I love The Byrds. This thread has made me realise that I forgot to listen to that radio show that was on about them, arse.

Chris Hillman, bass player with the Byrds and then founding member of the Flying Burritto Brothers is playing at the Lemon Tree on Wednesday. I can't go sadly, but I saw him the last time he was here and it was a great show. A couple of Byrds classics, but done in a folk/country style.

Aye, sorry for the shamless plug, not really in the spirit of this thread i know, but i can't help myself....

Chris Hillman with Herb Pedersen

special guest Michael Weston King

Wednesday 01 June

The Lemon Tree

Tickets 15 (10 concessions & regulars)

Doors Open: 7.30pm

Show Starts: 8pm

Singer-songwriter, bassist,

mandolinist and guitarist, Chris was a founder member of The Byrds, The Flying

Burrito Brothers, The Desert Rose Band, Manassas, Souther-Hillman-Furay and

McGuinn-Clark-Hillman. He is arguably the pioneer of California country rock and

his massive influence has been perhaps unfairly overshadowed by his partnerin-

crime in the Byrds and Burritos, one Gram Parsons.

As with his sellout show two years ago, he is joined on this tour by Herb

Pedersen, whose crystal clear tenor has graced the works of artists such as

Vince Gill and Linda Ronstadt, not to mention his own experience in the

Dillards, the Desert Rose Band, and the Laurel Canyon Ramblers.

www.chrishillman.com

Hmmm...The Byrds have always been a mixed bag for me. I never rated David Crosby as a singer or a songwriter. Roger/Jim McGuinn was a good frontman' date=' but his best work has always been adaptations of other people's songs. He smothered the real talents in the band to an extent. Gene Clark was the real star, an absolutely phenomenal songwriter who never got the breaks he deserved. Gram Parsons should have been their salvation, and the catalyst for the band's evolution towards true greatness, but music industry bullshit got in the way.

Basically, they were a good singles band with a mean line in Dylan cover versions. The first album and "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" are the only real standouts for me album-wise.[/quote']

I agree with that little summary. I tried to get into them but found the albums a tad samey but superb singles.