aberdeen-music

Dedalus: Official Announcement

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

Today at work, Steven asked me to post the following:

"As of the 1st June 2005, the performing band Dedalus will cease to exist. The show on the 31st May will be our last public appearance. The band will be augmented by Niall Slater of Reasons Are Red on guitar for a number of songs. There will also be a final recording session for the band, including recently departed guitarist Dave Officer, to document the recent songs completed by the band. If public interest demands it, these recordings may be released.

In place of the band as it exists currently, vocalist Steven Rainey, guitarist Robert Smith and drummer Alan Bain, will continue to write and record with the goal of putting together a new line-up and a new recording. With God on our side, we will hopefully return in 2006 with new material and a new approach. This is not the end, it is merely the close of the first chapter."

Guest idol_wild

They will re-incarnated, it's been promised.

With an expanded line-up and a new take on what they already do. Trust me, it'll excite you.

Today at work' date=' Steven asked me to post the following:

"As of the 1st June 2005, the performing band Dedalus will cease to exist. The show on the 31st May will be our last public appearance. The band will be augmented by Niall Slater of Reasons Are Red on guitar for a number of songs. There will also be a final recording session for the band, including recently departed guitarist Dave Officer, to document the recent songs completed by the band. If public interest demands it, these recordings may be released.

In place of the band as it exists currently, vocalist Steven Rainey, guitarist Robert Smith and drummer Alan Bain, will continue to write and record with the goal of putting together a new line-up and a new recording. With God on our side, we will hopefully return in 2006 with new material and a new approach. This is not the end, it is merely the close of the first chapter."[/quote']

A typically melodramatic act. I heartily approve

Guest Lisa

why is it so many bands just dont have any staying power.

sorry, i know dedalus are one of those "sacred cows" you just dont say anything bad about but you know...werent they doing pretty well?

This happens quite often to bands if they dont get where they want in very little time.

Guest Zeenat Aman

sorry' date=' i know dedalus are one of those "sacred cows" you just dont say anything bad about but you know...werent they doing pretty well?

This happens quite often to bands if they dont get where they want in very little time.[/quote']

Members come and go, the original reasons and inspirations for doing it change, life matters demand more attention etc.

sorry' date=' i know dedalus are one of those "sacred cows" you just dont say anything bad about but you know...werent they doing pretty well?

This happens quite often to bands if they dont get where they want in very little time.[/quote']

Rubbish post alert! Rubbish post alert!

Guest idol_wild

The thing about Dedalus is that they are now frequently bracketed with the whole Interpol/Bloc Party thing...despite the fact they were doing their thing long before either of these bands came into anyone's focus. So they just feel they'll be pigeon-holed if they made it beyond Aberdeen. Given how talented a guitarist Rob is and how good a song-writer Steven is, they could do without being pigeon-holed.

They did consider getting another guitarist in to replace the recently departed Dave Officer, but they favour a new approach entirely and a fresh start.

This happens quite often to bands if they dont get where they want in very little time.

That has nothing to do with the split whatsoever. All they're doing is taking time to write a new set, regroup and come back as something slightly different.

The band themselves were very happy with the way things were going. They have a strong local following and had released an EP which got fantastic reviews across the country.

And by all means criticise them, there are no sacred cows in local music.

Guest idol_wild
That has nothing to do with the split whatsoever. All they're doing is taking time to write a new set' date=' regroup and come back as something slightly different.

[/quote']

That is the size of it. Well said, young man.

That's just the way it should be. I'm 19 now, and if I haven't had a hit single by the time I'm 21, I'm giving up, rather than slogging away until I'm no longer relevant, and too old to pose in leather trousers anyway

Guest Lisa
The thing about Dedalus is that they are now frequently bracketed with the whole Interpol/Bloc Party thing...despite the fact they were doing their thing long before either of these bands came into anyone's focus. So they just feel they'll be pigeon-holed if they made it beyond Aberdeen. Given how talented a guitarist Rob is and how good a song-writer Steven is' date=' they could do without being pigeon-holed.

They did consider getting another guitarist in to replace the recently departed Dave Officer, but they favour a new approach entirely and a fresh start.[/quote']

Chris's post was very informative, thanks.

However the above one kinda reeks of elitism in a way.

So youre saying that a band doing what they believe in should move on once it gets popular...oh come on?

Thats like the biggest elitist move there is! Is it not more credible to stick to what you enjoy and love and what comes naturally and go in and out of fashion rather than try and run from whatever is "blowing up" at the time.

The thing about Dedalus is that they are now frequently bracketed with the whole Interpol/Bloc Party thing...despite the fact they were doing their thing long before either of these bands came into anyone's focus. So they just feel they'll be pigeon-holed if they made it beyond Aberdeen. Given how talented a guitarist Rob is and how good a song-writer Steven is' date=' they could do without being pigeon-holed.

They did consider getting another guitarist in to replace the recently departed Dave Officer, but they favour a new approach entirely and a fresh start.[/quote']

I saw them as an Explosions in the sky (esque) band, mainly through the excessive delay in the guitars and progressive ideas in their songs. I never really liked the bass playing or the vocals as both (in my opinion) were very bland, but generally enjoyed the band none-the-less

though that whole "pigeon holed" excuse is pretty lame, to be honest every band gets pigeon holed early on in their career, its only once you take your music to new levels that you can escape it. Think about all these post-rock bands that get pigeon holed as Mogwai ripp offs, bands like red sparrows, grails, the mercury program are good enough to escape this initial critique and move on.