aberdeen-music

New Shows at The Lemon Tree for August and September

New Shows at The Lemon Tree for August and September from jazz to ska

There's some great shows coming up at The Lemon Tree in august and September, and here they are:

for info on the gigs please click here

Terne Chave

Friday 5th August

Doors Open 8.30pm/Onstage 9.30pm

7.50 (5 concessions and Regulars)

From the Czech Republic, Terne Chave have their roots in traditional Gypsy music. They play and sing old Roma songs, learned from their grandparents, and their own songs of love, sadness, joy, poverty, women and children, all sung in the Roma language.

MacFloyd

Saturday 6th August

Doors Open 9pm/Onstage 10pm

12 (8 concessions and Regulars)

Mac Floyd is quite simply the best Pink Floyd band in the UK. No other band can touch them for the accuracy and atmosphere of a PF concert.

Gwyneth Herbert

Monday 8th August

Doors Open 8pm/Onstage 9pm

Following in the footsteps of her former collaborator, Jamie Cullum, by signing to the massive Universal label, jazz singer Gwyneth Herbert is on the verge of major stardom. Doing things very much her own way, Herbert's setlist contains classics such as Fever and Everytime We Say Goodbye, her own excellent songs and tracks by Tom Waits, Janis Ian, Neil Young and Portishead.

Dexter Ardoin and the Creole Ramblers

Saturday 13th August

9 (6 concessions and Regulars)

Born into a family with a tradition that is one of the most influential in the recorded history of Louisiana music, Dexter Ardoin has been playing Creole and Zydeco music virtually all of his life. (Zydeco is the more uptempo, bluesier big sister of cajun and great music for the dancefloor.)

Hem

Thursday 18th August

In 1999, Hem was just three guys with an idea and no singer. But once Sally Ellyson had sung a lullaby as her audition into the answering machine of main songwriter Dan Mess, Hem had found not only its singer but also its voice.

Elvisness, featuring:

The Boy Lacks Patience, The Creoles, Dave Dixon, The Epics

Dayle, Emma and Zara - The Fallen Angels, Karloff, King Voodoo,

Kevin Smith

Saturday 20th August

Doors Open 8.30pm/Onstage 9pm

10/6.75 concessions and Regulars

Our annual tribute to the King just gets better and better every year. 2005 ups the ante once again featuring the ghoul rockin' Karloff, the cool rockin' Creoles, the smooth rockin' Epics, the good rockin' King Voodoo, the piano balladry of The Boy Lacks Patience, soundalike wonderboy Kevin Smith, the fresh sounds of the Fallen Angels and compered by the ravin' Reverend Dave Dixon. Long live The King!

Bert Jansch

Sunday 28th August

Doors Open 7pm/Onstage 8pm

Bert Jansch's ground-breaking guitar playing, deeply affecting songwriting and dark, passionate voice have held audiences spellbound since the mid-sixties. Famously admired by Jimmy Page, Neil Young and Nick Drake, more recently young luminaries Noel Gallagher, Jarvis Cocker, Bernard Butler and Johnny Marr have paid homage to this unassuming but intensely revered master.

"As much of a great guitar player as Jimi (Hendrix) was, Bert Jansch is the same thing for acoustic guitar my favourite." Neil Young

"At one point, I was absolutely obsessed with Bert Jansch. When I first heard that LP [1965], I couldn't believe it. It was so far ahead of what everyone else was doing. No one in America could touch that." Jimmy Page

Benny Gallagher

Friday 2nd September

13.50 (9 concessions and Regulars)

For a songwriter of sheer quality and distinction you need look no further than Benny Gallagher. He began his career as a staff writer with the Beatles publishing company writing songs for Apple Records' biggest artist Mary Hopkin with the encouragement of Paul McCartney.

In 1970 his and Graham Lyle's astute composing ability propelled the band McGuinness-Flint to the top of the charts with When I'm Dead and Gone and Malt and Barley Blues. Then came the duo's own hits including Heart on my Sleeve and I Wanna Stay With You . Their Breakaway album was a huge success, even more so when the title track was covered by Art Garfunkel.

On record he has worked with Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend and Ronnie Wood while his songs have been covered by Bryan Ferry, Don Williams, Garth Brooks, Status Quo, Phil Everly and Simon and Garfunkel.

This 'R' 2-Tone

Saturday 3rd September

A massive hit on their debut in January, This 'R' 2-Tone are a dedicated nine piece ska band, delivering a high energy, moonstomping show, incorporating the sounds of The Specials, Madness, The Beat and Bad Manners.

These Edinburgh rude boys convey ska at it

's very best, pushing the legacy of 2-Tone further with the introduction of lighting, video visuals, and DJs to fuel their vision that will be . . .s k a d a n c e c r a z e !

There's some great shows coming up at The Lemon Tree in august and September' date=' and here they are:

for info on the gigs please click here

Terne Chave

Friday 5th August

From the Czech Republic, Terne Chave have their roots in traditional Gypsy music. They play and sing old Roma songs, learned from their grandparents, and their own songs of love, sadness, joy, poverty, women and children, all sung in the Roma language.

MacFloyd

Saturday 6th August

Mac Floyd is quite simply the best Pink Floyd band in the UK. No other band can touch them for the accuracy and atmosphere of a PF concert.

Gwyneth Herbert

Monday 8th August

Doors Open 8pm/Onstage 9pm

Following in the footsteps of her former collaborator, Jamie Cullum, by signing to the massive Universal label, jazz singer Gwyneth Herbert is on the verge of major stardom. Doing things very much her own way, Herbert's setlist contains classics such as Fever and Everytime We Say Goodbye, her own excellent songs and tracks by Tom Waits, Janis Ian, Neil Young and Portishead.

Dexter Ardoin and the Creole Ramblers

Saturday 13th August

9 (6 concessions and Regulars)

Born into a family with a tradition that is one of the most influential in the recorded history of Louisiana music, Dexter Ardoin has been playing Creole and Zydeco music virtually all of his life. (Zydeco is the more uptempo, bluesier big sister of cajun and great music for the dancefloor.)

Hem

Thursday 18th August

In 1999, Hem was just three guys with an idea and no singer. But once Sally Ellyson had sung a lullaby as her audition into the answering machine of main songwriter Dan Mess, Hem had found not only its singer but also its voice.

Elvisness, featuring:

The Boy Lacks Patience, The Creoles, Dave Dixon, The Epics

Dayle, Emma and Zara - The Fallen Angels, Karloff, King Voodoo,

Kevin Smith

Saturday 20th August

Doors Open 8.30pm/Onstage 9pm

10/6.75 concessions and Regulars

Our annual tribute to the King just gets better and better every year. 2005 ups the ante once again featuring the ghoul rockin' Karloff, the cool rockin' Creoles, the smooth rockin' Epics, the good rockin' King Voodoo, the piano balladry of The Boy Lacks Patience, soundalike wonderboy Kevin Smith, the fresh sounds of the Fallen Angels and compered by the ravin' Reverend Dave Dixon. Long live The King!

Bert Jansch

Sunday 28th August

Doors Open 7pm/Onstage 8pm

Bert Jansch's ground-breaking guitar playing, deeply affecting songwriting and dark, passionate voice have held audiences spellbound since the mid-sixties. Famously admired by Jimmy Page, Neil Young and Nick Drake, more recently young luminaries Noel Gallagher, Jarvis Cocker, Bernard Butler and Johnny Marr have paid homage to this unassuming but intensely revered master.

"As much of a great guitar player as Jimi (Hendrix) was, Bert Jansch is the same thing for acoustic guitar my favourite." Neil Young

"At one point, I was absolutely obsessed with Bert Jansch. When I first heard that LP [1965], I couldn't believe it. It was so far ahead of what everyone else was doing. No one in America could touch that." Jimmy Page

Benny Gallagher

Friday 2nd September

13.50 (9 concessions and Regulars)

For a songwriter of sheer quality and distinction you need look no further than Benny Gallagher. He began his career as a staff writer with the Beatles publishing company writing songs for Apple Records' biggest artist Mary Hopkin with the encouragement of Paul McCartney.

In 1970 his and Graham Lyle's astute composing ability propelled the band McGuinness-Flint to the top of the charts with When I'm Dead and Gone and Malt and Barley Blues. Then came the duo's own hits including Heart on my Sleeve and I Wanna Stay With You . Their Breakaway album was a huge success, even more so when the title track was covered by Art Garfunkel.

On record he has worked with Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend and Ronnie Wood while his songs have been covered by Bryan Ferry, Don Williams, Garth Brooks, Status Quo, Phil Everly and Simon and Garfunkel.

This 'R' 2-Tone

Saturday 3rd September

A massive hit on their debut in January, This 'R' 2-Tone are a dedicated nine piece ska band, delivering a high energy, moonstomping show, incorporating the sounds of The Specials, Madness, The Beat and Bad Manners.

These Edinburgh rude boys convey ska at it

's very best, pushing the legacy of 2-Tone further with the introduction of lighting, video visuals, and DJs to fuel their vision that will be . . .s k a d a n c e c r a z e !

12 for Hem, sorry but thats way over the odds...............Somebody told ne your were going to be charging a massive rip off 15 for LCD Soundthingy, sorry but please

do not rip gig goers off.

He has a point!

You go see some pish in red run around a fotball pitch for more money than this!!!

they are not worthy of anyrthing pre 1980's up to (square ball Porterfield)

a bunch of overpaid premadonnas.

As the FA Cup Final proved football is a very overrated sport (or is that business).

A devils's advocate says....relative to other things in life eg going to the football these prices aren't that bad are they? These things cost money!

I'd rather go & see two QUALITY shows by lesser names than gamble this kind of money

on virgin overpriced & overhyped bands. Sorry asking a student to fork out this kind of money is not on. hope somebody takes this onboard.

I'm sure that LCD Soundsystem only need paid about 400 and a case of beer as well...

Oh those damn Lemon Tree people! Always raking in the profits!

when i used to check the board before i recently joined, i remember somebody else

getting annoyed about the lemon tree pricing on LCD soundsystem, well belatedly

i agree its a RIP OFF.

back to studies

Lowball' date=' if you are a student then it appears to be 8. Saving you 4 to spend on a vastly overpriced pint instead![/quote']

Thats is true, the point i am making is that a lot of gigs where the same artist is playing

at the Lemon Tree they are playing dates where i live, the charge there is LESS than the student/concession entrance charge for full payers. Sorry but their is something not right about this.

when i used to check the board before i recently joined' date=' i remember somebody else

i agree its a RIP OFF.

back to studies[/quote']

I think the pricing for LCD Soundsystem is set by an external promoter and not the Lemon Tree, so it may be a bit unfair concentrating on that gig as an example.

I've always found the Lemon Tree gigs to be reasonably priced for what you get, but in comparison to other gigs in Aberdeen they may be priced a little higher - However, given the attendence record of Aberdeen gigs and the financial risk I know a lot of people take to put on bands in Aberdeen I think it's remarkable we don't pay a lot more for gigs all the time.

when i used to check the board before i recently joined' date=' i remember somebody else

i agree its a RIP OFF.

back to studies[/quote']

I was the one who complained about the price for lcd sound system

I think the pricing for LCD Soundsystem is set by an external promoter and not the Lemon Tree' date=' so it may be a bit unfair concentrating on that gig as an example.

I've always found the Lemon Tree gigs to be reasonably priced for what you get, but in comparison to other gigs in Aberdeen they may be priced a little higher - However, given the attendence record of Aberdeen gigs and the financial risk I know a lot of people take to put on bands in Aberdeen I think it's remarkable we don't pay a lot more for gigs all the time.[/quote']

something doesn't really add up here, do the people putting on these bands & gigs get the same subsidy as the lemon tree???

Thats is true' date=' the point i am making is that a lot of gigs where the same artist is playing

at the Lemon Tree they are playing dates where i live, the charge there is LESS than the student/concession entrance charge for full payers. Sorry but their is something not right about this.[/quote']

And sometimes it works in the opposite direction, too - For example, Sons And Daughters costs 5 for students in Aberdeen, or a flat fee of 9 to see them in Glasgow.

I'm sure that LCD Soundsystem only need paid about 400 and a case of beer as well...

Oh those damn Lemon Tree people! Always raking in the profits!

LCD is a Tryptich show, and therefore we have no control over the pricing of that. Do you really think James Murphy would come to Aberdeen for 400 quid? I also can spy irony.

i agree its a RIP OFF.

back to studies[/quote']

as misterdale said.........pricing is not always controlled by the venue depending or whether the venue is hired out for an event etc.........it can also cost more to get acts this far north the Lemon Tree is also an Arts Venue.........non profit making and largely sustained by the Arts Council and Aberdeen City Council........which we should be very happy about because this is why we can still get an eclectic and varied mix of damn good events in Aberdeen (not to say that some smaller venues are not also doing a good job)....only the other day someone was complaining about lack of variety in Moshulu's gig line ups and poor Ross had to explain that it wasn't for lack of wanting that.......but sustaining the venue relies on booking acts which make money.............you can't have it all ways.......so think a little about how things are run and be grateful for what you get.......these kinds of companies aren't trying to rip you off..........large corporations ...yes.....these guys and the musicians........no

LCD is a Tryptich show' date=' and therefore we have no control over the pricing of that. Do you really think James Murphy would come to Aberdeen for 400 quid? I also can spy irony.[/quote']

See if he didn't come up then people would moan that you weren't booking good bands.

And when you do book him people don't want to pay to see him.

So therefore you can never win!

Of course you know this already ;)

See if he didn't come up then people would moan that you weren't booking good bands.

And when you do book him people don't want to pay to see him.

So therefore you can never win!

Of course you know this already ;)

yep

and i spied your irony.......but i don't think everyone noticed so i went for the blatent