aberdeen-music

New Shows at The Lemon Tree for August and September

as misterdale said.........pricing is not always controlled by the venue depending or whether the venue is hired out for an event etc.........it can also cost more to get acts this far north the Lemon Tree is also an Arts Venue.........non profit making and largely sustained by the Arts Council and Aberdeen City Council........which we should be very happy about because this is why we can still get an eclectic and varied mix of damn good events in Aberdeen (not to say that some smaller venues are not also doing a good job)....only the other day someone was complaining about lack of variety in Moshulu's gig line ups and poor Ross had to explain that it wasn't for lack of wanting that.......but sustaining the venue relies on booking acts which make money.............you can't have it all ways.......so think a little about how things are run and be grateful for what you get.......these kinds of companies aren't trying to rip you off..........large corporations ...yes.....these guys and the musicians........no

It was myself that was commenting on Moshulu's lack of variety. I'm fully aware of costs & logistics involved in getting bands up.

However, you simply seem to be saying "here's what's on - just be f*cking grateful, eh?" which I find a little scary - surely Ross (& The Lemon Tree for that matter) are open to suggestion from their customers & take criticism or comments on board accordingly? You seem to view watching a band live as simply an act of commerce which I find a little surprising.

And I don't think I should necessarily be happy about the "eclectic" mix we have - why should I be happy that 80s novelty trash like Europe or Vanilla Ice are here rather than, say, SUNN o))) or Four Tet or Anthony & The Johnsons?

Don't get me wrong - i'm not calling for financial lunacy on the part of venues. I am, however, looking for variety & enlightment when I view a band. Putting on a band is surely for the punters & not for the accountants?

I'm not slagging Moshulu or anyone else off here, I just feel blind acceptance isn't an option - and I'm sure that Ross feels the same.

One last thing, I've sort of been waiting for someone to jump to "poor" Ross's defence in a sycophantic or matey manner - looks like I wasn't disappointed there......

It was myself that was commenting on Moshulu's lack of variety. I'm fully aware of costs & logistics involved in getting bands up.

However' date=' you simply seem to be saying "here's what's on - just be f*cking grateful, eh?" which I find a little scary - surely Ross (& The Lemon Tree for that matter) are open to suggestion from their customers & take criticism or comments on board accordingly? You seem to view watching a band live as simply an act of commerce which I find a little surprising.

And I don't think I should necessarily be happy about the "eclectic" mix we have - why should I be happy that 80s novelty trash like Europe or Vanilla Ice are here rather than, say, SUNN o))) or Four Tet or Anthony & The Johnsons?

Don't get me wrong - i'm not calling for financial lunacy on the part of venues. I am, however, looking for variety & enlightment when I view a band. Putting on a band is surely for the punters & not for the accountants?

I'm not slagging Moshulu or anyone else off here, I just feel blind acceptance isn't an option - and I'm sure that Ross feels the same.

One last thing, I've sort of been waiting for someone to jump to "poor" Ross's defence in a sycophantic or matey manner - looks like I wasn't disappointed there......[/quote']

I think its very strange that a publically funded arts venue, SHOULD without doubt be attracting artists like those named above, however it should be covering a BROAD musical remit all the time, like it does with its upstairs shows in theatre & dance (so to retain its funding & sponsorship). A good friend told me, that the BLANDING out of its music policy makes the Lemon Tree a bit of a laughing stock with the people who used to care about it.

I think its very strange that a publically funded arts venue' date=' SHOULD without doubt be attracting artists like those named above, however it should be covering a BROAD musical remit all the time, like it does with its upstairs shows in theatre & dance (so to retain its funding & sponsorship). A good friend told me, that the BLANDING out of its music policy makes the Lemon Tree a bit of a laughing stock with the people who used to care about it.[/quote']

I'm all for a broad remit of dance, theatre, etc - anything creative, basically.

The real bug bear I have with the Lemon Tree is the amount of tribute acts, though - I'm fed up of these glorified pub covers bands. It's lazy, uninspiring & insulting to their clientle.

However' date=' you simply seem to be saying "here's what's on - just be f*cking grateful, eh?" which I find a little scary - surely Ross (& The Lemon Tree for that matter) are open to suggestion from their customers & take criticism or comments on board accordingly? You seem to view watching a band live as simply an act of commerce which I find a little surprising.

One last thing, I've sort of been waiting for someone to jump to "poor" Ross's defence in a sycophantic or matey manner - looks like I wasn't disappointed there......[/quote']

i didn't mean that quite as you seem to have taken it.........i was trying to be concise and to the point is all

of course they need this space to find out what the people want .........it's just that some of the people are repeatedly using the term 'rip-off' which just isn't what it's about

hell........of course i'd like to see Anthony and the Johnsons....

0_o man you make me sound scary...i didn't even say 'fucking'........largely what i meant was that the Lemon Tree is amazingly still going after the troubles it has had........and maybe it is just me........but i want to be happy that we still have it especially because that's due to the efforts of people who care about it's survival.....i was trying to be positive.... not lecture people like bad children

''sycophantic or matey'' :rolleyes: great....man........i wish these things weren't taken so literally.......i don't think i was even trying to defend him specifically........i think i'd just become generally irritated that no-one seemed to register how things are run and kept together.......whether it be the Lemon Tree or Moshulu.....i should have just said i just agreed with what he said in the other thread which referenced the Lemon Tree

and i certainly don't see it as an act of commerce.....but it is about survival which was my main concern......although we want enlightening acts........to sustain that which we want sometimes means hosting shows which make money.........this also happens when you are answerable to a funder

i understand that you have an awareness of how things are run........and i'm sorry that you seem to have taken what i have said the wrong way ......i'm just finishing my degree and have tonsilitus and generally dyslexic and lazy with articulation at the best of times....so i probably just said it wrong

all i was really trying to was get a balance of understanding between everyone because the criticism and comments i saw didn't seem very constructive or fair.........but maybe i've just seen too much from the other side and not so much as a customer anymore....anyway.........i didn't want to provoke that kind of response so i'm hoping i've been more understandable this time 0_o i wish i could convey tone better in text

I think its very strange that a publically funded arts venue' date=' SHOULD without doubt be attracting artists like those named above, however it should be covering a BROAD musical remit all the time, like it does with its upstairs shows in theatre & dance (so to retain its funding & sponsorship). A good friend told me, that the BLANDING out of its music policy makes the Lemon Tree a bit of a laughing stock with the people who used to care about it.[/quote']
I'm all for a broad remit of dance' date=' theatre, etc - anything creative, basically.

The real bug bear I have with the Lemon Tree is the amount of tribute acts, though - I'm fed up of these glorified pub covers bands. It's lazy, uninspiring & insulting to their clientle.[/quote']

Aberdeen City Council Funds the Lemon Tree........it wants it to put on mostly music as it has other Arts Venues............it wants it to put on music which makes money to help with financial difficulties

he's where the problem comes

the Scottish Arts Council also funds the Lemon Tree...........it wants great theatre and eclection and interesting projects.........it see's the Lemon Tree as an Arts Venue which clashes with the view of the City Council

it needs both of those funders to survive as well as the public........so keeping all of them happy is quite a task which may not be achievable

ps.........i can't stand the tribute bands either

ha ha, common ground!

sorry if I came across as getting at you or a bit harsh in places. I think at heart we all want the same thing which is eclectic, interesting music in town rather than the safe, bland tours that seem to be well attended. I do accept this isn't always the venues or the staff at these venue's blame.

You are right about a balance of understanding. I think constructive criticism & comments to the people concerned is the way to get what everyone wants - which means less bands like Maiden Scotland, The Complete Stone Roses and MacFloyd!!

ha ha' date=' common ground!

sorry if I came across as getting at you or a bit harsh in places. I think at heart we all want the same thing which is eclectic, interesting music in town rather than the safe, bland tours that seem to be well attended. I do accept this isn't always the venues or the staff at these venue's blame.

You are right about a balance of understanding. I think constructive criticism & comments to the people concerned is the way to get what everyone wants - which means less bands like Maiden Scotland, The Complete Stone Roses and MacFloyd!![/quote']

heh...... ^_^ cool.......i'm glad you get where i'm coming from now.......and it's pretty much the same place.....we do all want the same thing really yes :)

ha ha' date=' common ground!

You are right about a balance of understanding. I think constructive criticism & comments to the people concerned is the way to get what everyone wants - which means less bands like Maiden Scotland, The Complete Stone Roses and MacFloyd!![/quote']

The public purse should not be used to subsidise shite middle of the road crap, these profit making events should be used to repay debt. Is this subsidy available to ALL to put on events, of course not, level playing field????????

The subsidy should be used to attact esoteric music styles to meet its public qualification

to provide arts/music for ALL the community, or passed to those who can oblige, if there is anybody there.

ps hope you feel better & your exams go well

Thats is true' date=' the point i am making is that a lot of gigs where the same artist is playing

at the Lemon Tree they are playing dates where i live, the charge there is LESS than the student/concession entrance charge for full payers. Sorry but their is something not right about this.[/quote']

Which gigs?

The public purse should not be used to subsidise shite middle of the road crap' date=' these profit making events should be used to repay debt. Is this subsidy available to ALL to put on events, of course not, level playing field????????

The subsidy should be used to attact esoteric music styles to meet its public qualification

to provide arts/music for ALL the community, or passed to those who can oblige, if there is anybody there.

ps hope you feel better & your exams go well[/quote']

These shows also help to subsidise the more esoteric end of our programme and it's worth pointing out that most of the subsidy the venue receives goes towards drama, dance and community activity. Plus there are a section of the community that enjoy seeing these shows and we're here to serve them too. I fail to see the conflict between us doing safer acts and more experimental, to be honest. We've always more than fulfilled our remit in subsidised fields of music - jazz, traditional and world - and that's largely because we can cross-subsidise between events.

As for ticket prices, when you take our very generous conecssions into account and the fact that no-one pays any additional booking fees, service charges etc, accusations of over-pricing don't hold much water. Hem are a proven, world-class act and well worth 12 of anyone's money and will be charging similar prices on the rest of their tour.