aberdeen-music

Depeche Mode

Hog

yep. Not so much their early stuff but "Songs of Faith and Devotion" and "Ultra" have some great songs. My friend sent me a song by her fave band (cant remember their name) not realising that their best song was a note perfect cover of "Walking in my shoes"

Guest Scorge Spike

I saw them on the Exciter tour at the SECC three/four years back - didn't like the album in question, but the live show they have is very impressive. I'd recommend Dave Gahan's solo album to any DM devouts.

I prefer MFTM/Violator era material.....

Guest bluesxman

Don't own much except the later 'Best Of' (I forget which years it covers) but they have done some awesome tunes - Never Let Me Down, Personal Jesus, I Feel You, Stripped, Dave Gahan's solo album isn't too bad either!

"Walking in my shoes" is totally epic! ace tune. I dont have Ultra' date=' is it as good as "Songs of Faith and Devotion"? :cheers:[/quote']

It certainly is. In fact it's a bona fide classic! One of my favourite Depeche albums. It's a corny choice, but "Violator" is just so fucking perfect I think it's their best. There is not one second of that album I don't like. The production is perfect. the songs are immense. The music itself is spot on. And Gahan's voice is haunting - amazing!

You just can't go wrong with Depeche Mode. They are one of the bands I really like I've never seen and would love so much to! I hope they regroup soon and go on tour. As one of my mates says "I'd travel onywhere to see them!"

Guest Lisa

Basically most of the darker stuff is awesome.

Construction Time Again onwards is awesome.

Songs of Faith And Devotion is my fave as well but Ultra is a jaw dropping record.

My fave song is In Your Room...the lyrics are incredible.

Anyone noticed how scarily similar Gahan and Gore sound when they sing?

Exciter isnt that great really though is it...a bit too coffee table-ish. Shame considering thats their last record.

I have the official biography and its simply amazing reading. From the bands formation up until the tour for the hits 86 to 98. What a read. I have it on hardback because i didnt want to wait for the paper back version.

The section between songs of faith and ultra is incredble regarding Gahan's drug hell he created and the true Rock god he became whils alienating the rest of the band...its crazy.

If you love the Mode...buy it!

Ultra is very good and my fave depeche mode album to date. Anyone wanting to sample Depeche mode could do worse than get the second best of (86-98 I think, but it's not at hand!), or the live 101 double album which was kicking around hmv for a not unreasonable 8.99 not so long ago.

There are tons of depeche mode albums doing the rounds, and only having been listning to them for a few years I yet have to pick them all up.

Exciter was a bit dissapointing for me at first, but it soon grew on me, and it's a great album, as is Dave Gahan's solo one, as someone mentioned earlier.

Lastly, virgin were selling both best of cd's cheaply, and fopp are doing most of the older albums for a fiver at the moment.

Think I'm off to Fopp tomorrow to pick up songs of fatih and devotion to replace my old taping of it!!