aberdeen-music

Revenge of the sith is fucking ace!

I'm fed up with people going on about 'the holy trilogy', the orignal 3 Star Wars films were by no means perfect, they're just a fairly diverting way to spend a few hours.

People just take it so seriously, just go, enjoy yourself and have a giggle, maybe notice the more subtle bits. Yes, the last scene with Vader was cheesy, but it's exactly like an old Hammer Horror film, down to the lighting and everything whichj I thought was pretty cute. Lucas was enjoying himself, why can't you*?

*you being a general to everyone who is moaning

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are expecting the wrong things from this film. The film is intended to be a hammed up, cheesy, cliched fest of science fiction! It's (for the most part) light hearted entertainment. It's not intended to be a deeply moving love story, or pollitically poignant. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and will be going to see it again as soon as I can afford it (skint)! As for the comment about adults being sucked into a childrens' market, aren't us "adults" alowed to let out hair down and have a little fun now and then?

oh my lord' date=' and they say sexism is fading.. i happen to like star wars as a concept, and i thouroughly enjoyed the previous films.. however, i am allowed to make the statement that the film was produced with the outcome of a bit of a mish-mash effect..

you cannot say that i am unworthy of a comment due to me being a 'girl', i happen to have been studyin film studies, and textual analysis for the past year, and i can honestly say that what i viewed on 'revenge of the sith' was entirely disappointing.

put that in your pipe n smoke it.[/quote']

Moan, moan, moan. That's all wimmin ever bloody do... ;)

My point was this: Take a census of people who are Star Wars fans, I doubt very, very, very highly that there'd be an equal proportion of men and women. Men are geekier than women, about just about everything.

Well done on getting into Film Studies. I work in a video store and watch about 15-20 films a week; I'm half-way through reading 'Film: A Critical Introduction', a textbook for the film studies course I believe. You're more than entitled to your opinion, but it's no more valid than mine.

As for Gridlock, he's never posted anything positive about anything.

Guest haigyman
oh my lord' date=' and they say sexism is fading.. i happen to like star wars as a concept, and i thouroughly enjoyed the previous films.. however, i am allowed to make the statement that the film was produced with the outcome of a bit of a mish-mash effect..

you cannot say that i am unworthy of a comment due to me being a 'girl', i happen to have been studyin film studies, and textual analysis for the past year, and i can honestly say that what i viewed on 'revenge of the sith' was entirely disappointing.

*points* get BACK in the kitchen

let me smoke your ass honey. where was it you were studying textual analysis? glasgow? that oh so prestigious, world respected film school, right. studying film studies in glasgow does not make you the almighty great and powerful decider of what makes a film good. as an alumnus of USC film school, I can honestly say that Sith is one of the better Star Wars films. It's certainly up there with Empire Strikes Back. I can say that because having gone to the best film school in the world DOES make me the almighty great and powerful decider of what makes a film good. ;)

let me smoke your ass honey. where was it you were studying textual analysis? glasgow? that oh so prestigious' date=' world respected film school, right. studying film studies in glasgow does not make you the almighty great and powerful decider of what makes a film good. as an alumnus of USC film school, I can honestly say that Sith is one of the better Star Wars films. It's certainly up there with Empire Strikes Back. I can say that because having gone to the best film school in the world DOES make me the almighty great and powerful decider of what makes a film good. ;)[/quote']

Even if you DO so say yourself! :D

I also study film studies and I can safely say that you are talking poo. you sound like all the faux new wave film studies students (which you probably aren't!) who analyse non-western films and call them magnificent because:

(a) no one else has ever heard of it before

(b) it has no famous actors anyone has heard of before

© it's shite, so no one has seen it before

(d) it's the current trend to slag off anything western as being against art (although a lot of it is shite, admittedly)

(e) it's the in thing to slag off any new star wars films

(f) you are a guy and have those thick black spectacles they all have and emo hair as well

(g) i can't even remember what i'm talking about

(no offense is meant to be caused. just a rant at film studies students in general. i'm sure you come across them in your lectures)

Sith is a very entertaining film, and if you read in to the mise-en-scene (see, i do study film!) there is a lot to take in and a lot of it is actually quite clever. On the other hand, Anaking sitting opposite Yoda in a room with black and white light from the window shade things is pretty obvious and over stated, but hey.

say what you will, but as a star wars film this is ace. as a normal film, this is ace! the special effects are amazing! Apart from Yoda, who in my opinion, should only be seen on screen as a puppet. except for the fight scenes.

sorry

Film studies students are probably the LAST people in the world that this film is aimed for. Star Wars is a legend... a fairytale. It doesn't even need to tie up loose ends for me, because with every telling George obviously changes his mind and the story with it. Just think of it as modern day version of folklore.

Odds on bets that George NOW goes back and starts to "tie it all together" in a definitive "Star Wars Ultimate Digital Re-telling Re-mastered Director's Cut Edition".

IN CINEMAS SOON!

(I just hope he cuts out that midi-chloreans shite.)

oh man it was so awesome. i even loved the "NOOOOOOOOO!" bit! yea it was cheesy but it was so much fun seeing the moment that vader became the most hateful evil bastard in the galaxy. "in your anger you killed her". the emperor really is a manipulative evil swine.

i wish people would stop analysing it though, it's fucking star wars! it's a sci-fi opera about space wizards! it's not meant to be going for palm d'or at cannes(is it the palm d'or? am i thinking of the right thing? do i care?), it's meant to be THE blockbuster film. it's a cinematic experience, you go watch it on the biggest screen you can and stuff your face with popcorn and have FUN! you cheer R2-D2 on, you marvel at how evil the emperor is and you wish you were mace windu.

i thought the pacing of the love story in this film was much better, you actually cared about the relationship rather than laughing at it and there was some genuinely sad scenes. ewan macgregor was ace, particularly doing his panto hero pose at the top of the ramp before his final fight with vader. and the bit when greivous is sending the seperatist away and he jumps down among them witha simple "hello". that general kenobi, he is a bold one.

the whole thing ruled, my only complaint was the unneccesary cameo of chewbacca and the lame deaths of so many jedi(mace windu's companions would have been as well holding ice lollys rather than lightsabers they were so rubbish with them). i also felt they didn't need to show the baby's being delivered to their new homes as that was a given and should've ended with vader and sidius standing side by side.

you'll all be doing the NOOOOOOO thing in the pub later, admit it. it'll stand the test of time even if it is cheesy and hammy.

Guest Logan

The one thing I REALLY like about the movie is the whole Prophecy angle.

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!"

See, Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the force. Wipe out the sith. And Yoda says what if the prophecy was misread?

Well, it's actually true anyway you look at it. If the prophecy was misread, then yes, Anakin did wipe out the Jedi on the side of evil. BUT, he is the one who ultimately destroys the sith by killing Emperor Palpatine at the end of Episode VI. And with his death, there are only Jedi left (we're going by the movies, not the expanded universe). So perhaps yes, he was the chosen one to bring balance to the force and wipe out the sith, it just took him 20 years to realise it and after killing all the other Jedi.

Now, we all know that Darth Plageus was Palpatines master (it is actually explained in the book, but on film it's just easy to read his body langauge). And he tells the story of how Plageus can manipulate the Midi-Chloreans, well, in some people's minds, Darth Plageus created Anakin! Anakin of couse having no father and his mother not nowing how she got him! If you believe in fate, then perhaps Plagues knew that Anakin would be found on this planet and taken in by the Jedi. Who knows. Interesting tho.

The one thing I REALLY like about the movie is the whole Prophecy angle.

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!"

See' date=' Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the force. Wipe out the sith. And Yoda says what if the prophecy was misread?

[/quote']

I read somewhere recently that the 'balance to the force' prophecy could be interpreted thus: There are loads of Jedi at the start of TPM, and very few Sith, hardly what you'd call 'balance', when Anakin comes along, Yoda and Windu know this, and start thinking their time is up. Anakin wipes the Jedi, leaving only two (and two potential) Jedi, and two Sith (more like a balance!), eventually they're whittled down to just Luke, who represents a balance between the dark and light (he has his father's anger, a robot hand, he's uses dark Jedi powers like choking the Gamorean guards in RotJ). This reading is furthered in 'Dark Empire' when look finally defeats the cloned Emperor by mastering the dark side. It's probably reading WAY too much into the story, but an interesting interpretation nonetheless....

my only complaint was the unneccesary cameo of chewbacca

Yeah' date=' that did just seem stuck in for the sake of it. The Wookies were cool (i'd have liked to have seen more of the Kashyyk battle, perhaps with some arm-ripping-off!), but Chewie's appearance was kinda pointless.

and the lame deaths of so many jedi(mace windu's companions would have been as well holding ice lollys rather than lightsabers they were so rubbish with them).

Yeah! 'specially Kit Fisto. He's ace. And has a slightly rude name.

I read somewhere recently that the 'balance to the force' prophecy could be interpreted thus: There are loads of Jedi at the start of TPM' date=' and very few Sith, hardly what you'd call 'balance', when Anakin comes along, Yoda and Windu know this, and start thinking their time is up. Anakin wipes the Jedi, leaving only two (and two potential) Jedi, and two Sith (more like a balance!), eventually they're whittled down to just Luke, who represents a balance between the dark and light (he has his father's anger, a robot hand, he's uses dark Jedi powers like choking the Gamorean guards in RotJ). This reading is furthered in 'Dark Empire' when look finally defeats the cloned Emperor by mastering the dark side. It's probably reading WAY too much into the story, but an interesting interpretation nonetheless....[/quote']

i read that too(playstation 2 magazine was it?) and thought it made a lot of sense.

Man, I thought that was absolutely ace! I tried to go with low expectations, but when the camera pans down after the introduction and goes through the battle, I just grinned from ear to ear... I loved the way the 1st word of the intro was just: 'War!' Just like: 'This is what you've been waiting for...'

But there were so many ace scenes, and I was actually moved a lot more than I expected. I loved the sadness of the scene when the Jedi are getting killed, and MacGregor really pulls off that scene with Anakin at the end about him being the chosen one, just great. And you have to admire Lucas for showing the scenes of Vader getting burned, and that Frankenstein-esque scene of the electronic limbs being put on and him screaming, then the helmet coming on... just an amazingly dark scene (even for a 12), children's film my ass. If you'd read any fan reviews beforehand you know the first 50 minutes are lighter, to walk out at that point and make a judgement on the tone of the film is pretty moronic.

But goddam right, I'm going to see that in the cinema as many times as possible, it's the perfect movie for seeing in a huge multiplex, thank goodness for the UGC card...

Guest Logan

Yeah! 'specially Kit Fisto. He's ace. And has a slightly rude name.

Kit Fisto was wasted in this movie. For starters, he wasn't even played by the same actor! So no cheeky grin! And his death was just pants. I thought he would go out in a blaze of glory. At least Plo Koon had a cool death. Pity we didn't get to see his yellow lightsaber! :(

The worst Jedi death was probably Aayla Secura (the blue twi'ilek). She just, fell over.

Did anyone notice the younger Mon Motma? (the ginger lady that describes the plan to destroy the 2nd death star in RotJ).

And I failed to spot Baron Papanoida (George Lucas' only cameo in the Star Wars Saga). Apparently he's in the Opera scene, but I've watched it 3 times now and I can't see him. He's a big blue thing as I remember. Maybe I have seen him and just can't make him out for the make up.