aberdeen-music

Revenge of the sith is fucking ace!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada

Yep, great film, the "I love you because you are beautiful" "No I love you because you are beautiful" romantic lines were cringeworthy, but that's nitpicking.

Oh, and Hayden is indeed crappy in the Star Wars films, but having seen him in Shattered Glass there's no way he's the worst actor on the planet.

I know.... I was exaggerating ;)

He's still rubbish though.

I still can't believe what I saw when Darth Vader proper finally emerged. What should have been the most awe-ful and horrifyingly powerful moment of the film if not the entire series turned out to be awful, horrible and limp- The idea of having someone shout "Noooooooo!!!!" to express anguish and anger is pretty lame and moronic to begin with, and the way it was handled and the fact that it was DARTH VADER just made it laughable. I didn't even believe it was James Earl Jones doing the voice- he just sounded like someone doing an unconvincing impression of him.

Apart from that (and all the other rubbish elements) it was pretty good. I'd watch it again. And it makes me want to watch episodes IV-VI again.

Guest DustyDeviada

I know what you're saying, although I suspect that Lucas was deliberately trying to make it hammy and Frankenstein-esque.

Fairly certain it was JEJ doing the voice, after all peoples voices change with time. Have a listen to an Elton John record from the 70s and then listen to a modern one, you'll see what I mean.

Actually on second thoughts just take my word for it. ;)

it was fully ace! my only real gripe was that the fight with general grievous could have been so much more than it was and his death was a little bit lame.

lucas has always been known for being a rubbish director and that's why the majority of the actors come across as wooden. look at episodes 1 and 2 to see how bad ewan macgregor is, and he's one of the finest actors of our times. i actually thought hayden christiansen did really well this time around. he really carried the film.

It was indeed fucking awesome. Not much i can say which hasn't already be said. I thought the Obi Wan/Anakin lightsaber dual was awesome, combining the impressive visuals of the Ep1 fight with the emotion in the dialogue of the ROTJ fight, despite there being very little dialogue in this dual. My only gripe is how it's annoying the way the fighters look like Tie-fighters but aren't quite the same. Same thing goes for other vehicles and the clone troopers as well.

Um' date=' Episode IV, American Graffitti? ?([/quote']

a rubbish actor's director is what i mean. he's never been known to get a good performance out of an actor. so in all of his films, the acting seems wooden and overdone. in a new hope, that's part of its charm because it was the first, and the budget was lower. in the prequels, it lets it down because every other aspect (apart from screenplay) was really heavily invested in. lucas is successful because he is a very creative and inventive storyteller. but without star wars, his directing career would have faded into obscurity.

Um' date=' Episode IV, American Graffitti? ?([/quote']

Lucas himself admits that he can't direct actors. Portman, Macgregor, MacDiarmid, Christiansen et al are NOT bad actors (spot on about Shattered Glass), Lucas just can't get a performance ut of them.

I disagree about Christiansen in RotS, I thought he was brilliant, 'specially the end, which was pretty upsetting really, him screaming "I hate you!" was fucked up. The whole film was amazing. More Wookies and Grevious would have been nice, but overall, it was triumph. Going to see it again tommorow.

My only gripe is how it's annoying the way the fighters look like Tie-fighters but aren't quite the same. Same thing goes for other vehicles and the clone troopers as well.

The story occurs over decades, it's safe to assume the fighter techonolgy and military uniforms might change over a long period n'est pas?

I know what you're saying' date=' although I suspect that Lucas was deliberately trying to make it hammy and Frankenstein-esque.

Fairly certain it was JEJ doing the voice, after all peoples voices change with time. Have a listen to an Elton John record from the 70s and then listen to a modern one, you'll see what I mean.

Actually on second thoughts just take my word for it. ;)[/quote']

It certainly is JEJ, he's not credited but it's listed in his IMDB entry. The Frankenstein aspects are obviously deliberate and a good idea, but the hamminess was absolutely not. Darth Vader should inspire fear and apprehension, which the rather pathetic performance (from Christensen, JEJ and George Lucas) failed to do.

Plus it was next to what is probably the most unconvincing childbirth scene in the whole of cinema. I'm not saying that there should have been graphic detail and extended scenes of pushing, but this was supposed to be a woman giving birth to twins in a dreadful situation undergoing profound emotional turmoil. There was no drama conveyed at all, I thought. And then she goes and dies of a broken heart, for fuck's sake...

But again, it was good apart from these complaints. The emergence of the Emperor and the sinister machinations he orchestrates were great.

I wanted more Wookies too, but seeing Yoda ride on Chewie's (?) back was enough to make up for it. It was actually a really tragic film, much sadder than I expected it to be but i liked it muchly, including the cheesy ending. I actually went home and watched A New Hope afterwards, my boyfriend was so proud :D

haha! i was speechless! i thought it was so magic. christensen was actually really, really, really good in this film. I dunno if i conveyed my opinion the right way in my original post. i also think that Lucas deliberately directs the film in such a way that it is 'hammed' up. His best films were the ones that he didn't direct though (Empire, Jedi) so that has to be taken into consideration when casting opinion on his talents. Think about it - 'a new hope' would be a lot different if it wasn't so over the top. Plus, in Episode 2, Anakin was supposed to be a moody, annoying character and Christensen played that quite well. The love story bits were a bit blurgh in 'clones' but after seeing 'sith' i can completely understand why it was overdone! it all makes sense now

and in other news' date=' does Yoda telling Obi Wan that Qui-gon has the secret of immortality have something to do with how ol' ben disappears in his light sabre fight with Darth Vader? I still haven't completely worked that out yet.[/quote']

Erm, yup! A lot of loose ends were tied up in that final 10 mintues (Threepio's memory wipe too). It was cool to see Alderaan also.

Do you think that the Darth Plaguus (sp?) that Palpatine alluded to was his Master? It would explain Palpatine's longevity. Were Luke and Leia born on Bail Organa's Corellian Corvette or on Alderaan?

I'm gonna go see this film as much as possible before its theatrical run ends.....

aye me as well. im just waiting till after tuesday afternoon when i have officially finished first year and then its beer and star wars and pro evo and footbal manager for the next 4 months. I would have said that Plaguus was probably his master, as he also told the story of how his apprentice killed him in his sleep. How would anyone else have known ('it's not a story that a Jedi would tell you'). I thought that implied it was he who did the deed...

were the bairns not born on the ship? because the others leave to go other places to drop them off.

but wait, if obi wan knows immortality, does that mean he can choose when to die? which is why he disappears?

no wait....so by being immortal he is just sort of like a ghost? so does that mean that anakin must learn from the emperor how to live forever, and yoda must know it as well, as they all wave hello to luke in Jedi? is that right?

Guest Logan

I did think the last talk between Obi Wan and Anakin were SO emotional and really well played.

I like the fact that they tied up pretty much every loose end. The only thing that doesn't make that much sense is the fact that this movie is set 17 years prior to Episode IV. Does Darth Vader get that reputation in such short time, and how come Princess Leia knows Darth and Grand Moff Tarkin so well as they know her? (okay, so her mother was what, 14 in the first movie. Maybe I'll let them off).

Did anyone else notice that that was a younger Grand Moff Tarkin at the end of the movie? I'm sure his face was CG tho, to look like a younger Peter Cushing, but apparently he's some guy from Farscape.

The only thing that disappointed me with this movie is the lack of Qui Gon. I read ages ago that Liam Neeson had filmed a small cameo for the movie, so when Yoda mentioned his name I got all excited. Guess I'll just have to see him in Batman Begins! Which reminds me, I'll have to book my tickets for the 16th of June! ^_^