aberdeen-music

Go North

Darth Elvis

Jo is far bigger than almost every act out in Aberdeen at the moment' date=' what cloud is trying to say is why do they advertise this as a showcase event for the best acts in this part of britain only for them to put on bands who they are friends with instead.[/quote']

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you here. Did you ever stop to think that perhaps Gone 2 Far are playing because their demo happened to be really fucking blisteringly good?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry' date=' but I have to disagree with you here. Did you ever stop to think that perhaps Gone 2 Far are playing because their demo happened to be really fucking blisteringly good?[/quote']

oh yeah totally i bet it wiped the floor with jo's full length album that was recorded in cava.

See Jo there is your problem you didnt record your album at the Foyer ;)

oh yeah totally i bet it wiped the floor with jo's full length album that was recorded in cava.

Ouch.

:laughing:

But remeber Milner, Foyer Music has 24 tracks now, can Cava boast that? I think not ;)

i don't see what all the fuss is about. i bet that jo is less than concerned about not being asked to participate in go north.

aberdeen bands wanting to be in go north and hoping to get record label interest is like princess leia encoding a help message in r2d2 and hoping to be saved. it only actually happens in fiction.

i don't see what all the fuss is about. i bet that jo is less than concerned about not being asked to participate in go north.

aberdeen bands wanting to be in go north and hoping to get record label interest is like princess leia encoding a help message in r2d2 and hoping to be saved. it only actually happens in fiction.

yeh your so right no aberdeen bands wants any interest from any kind of lable we are far to important for that.......

But again i think your missing the point, they claim this event is the showcase off all the north east of scotlands best acts and yet there are bands on there who have barely played a handful of gigs between them.

yeh your so right no aberdeen bands wants any interest from any kind of lable we are far to important for that.......

But again i think your missing the point' date=' they claim this event is the showcase off all the north east of scotlands best acts and yet there are bands on there who have barely played a handful of gigs between them.[/quote']

i'm sure plenty of aberdeen bands would like record label interest, my point was that playing go north is probably not the most effective way of getting such interest.

ah wait they know dave from the foyer pretty well and they practise there all the time......hmmm basically them being included has made GoNorth look like an even bigger joke than it already is. As ive stated i dont hate gone too far or really have a problem with them but for fucks sake if they are the best aberdeen has to offer well.....

edit: how did they get into the young catagory anyway when they are over age?

Milner, you're wrong.

G2F never practice at the Foyer and they certainly didn't get the gig through Dave. This I know for a fact as two out of three of them are mates of mine, all of them go to my school.

You're right though, they are overage for the category. There is no age limit as such though, but the idea is that the bands in said category are those whose members are too young -therefore under 14- to play at proper venues. You may also be interested to know that they didn't submit a demo, they were just asked out of the blue. But don't bother saying it's through Dave , it's not. It's someone else. ;)

You may also be interested to know that they didn't submit a demo' date=' they were just asked out of the blue.[/quote']

I'm sure it will interest absolutely everyone that the whole "submit a demo" procedure is just a lot of pish.

so bascially what you are telling me is that this is a showcase for the best bands in the north east and you dont even have to submit a demo infact you have more chance in plaing in this event if you dont???!!!

I mean come on this is pathetic i thought this was a properly run kinda event but its clearly just a fucking sham i would advise all people to stay away from this farce.

Milner' date=' you're wrong.

G2F never practice at the Foyer and they certainly didn't get the gig through Dave. This I know for a fact as two out of three of them are mates of mine, all of them go to my school.

You're right though, they are overage for the category. There is no age limit as such though, but the idea is that the bands in said category are those whose members are too young -therefore under 14- to play at proper venues. You may also be interested to know that they didn't submit a demo, they were just asked out of the blue. But don't bother saying it's through Dave , it's not. It's someone else. ;)[/quote']

Well whoever it is it's made a complete mockery of the whole event. Why bother going to the effort of a press pack etc if it is just through contacts ? To be honest it's just strengthened the resolve not to get involved in the whole circus next year. The point of something like this is that bands who make the effort get the chance. It seems ludicrous to me that Jo's submission is ignored and then bands are approached to take part, not just that they're then allowed to participate in part of the even they're not even eligible for. Even if Gone 2 Far had achieved more, and were better than Jo, then the simple fact they hadnt submitted means they shouldnt be taking part otherwise its just an even bigger kick in the face for the bands that submitted. and were ignored. I'm disappointed that what could have been a great showcase for Aberdeen has been reduced to giving your mates gigs.

Cheers

Stuart

I get everyone's point in this but does Jo Macafferty really need label interest? Yes I know it's a showcase and all that but why bother when the likes of Midge Ure hand pick you to support him on tour?Personally, I think Jo has more than enough interest from labels etc and bands like Gone2Far or Stayover or MMW etc need the exposure more than Jo does.

Out of interest, has Driveblind ever played in GONorth before?

Out of interest' date=' has Driveblind ever played in GONorth before?[/quote']

They played GoNewYork which is a similar event, except it's all year round and produces actual results.

I get everyone's point in this but does Jo Macafferty really need label interest? Yes I know it's a showcase and all that but why bother when the likes of Midge Ure hand pick you to support him on tour?Personally' date=' I think Jo has more than enough interest from labels etc and bands like Gone2Far or Stayover or MMW etc need the exposure more than Jo does.

Out of interest, has Driveblind ever played in GONorth before?[/quote']

Until Jo signs a deal she hasnt had enough interest from a label, what you're saying is that the further along you are and the harder you work the less worthy you are to get a place on the showcase. Jo has had interest from labels but she's worked hard to get that, her albums are all self released and self financed, she's done it herself. Going out and touring with Midge etc is great experience and fun, and helps her sell albums, but it doesnt get you a lot of label interest, bearing in mind despite writing last years top selling song and playing to 1000 people a night Midge himself is currently without a label. Jo needs the chance to get signed as much as any other act, yes she's had interest through the years but that shouldnt mean she cant get and doesnt need more, she's working hard and should be rewarded for that. It's like saying, because you get record company interest you shouldnt get more. If you're good enough whether you're Stayover, MMw and Gone 2 Far, or Jo you will get record company interest, that shoul;dnt be a stumbling block. This is about bands trying to get a deal so they can release albums nationally on a label and to make contacts, Jo needs that and deserves it as much as anyone else does.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest RockMonkey

As far as Go North is concerned, to be honest, I am not exactly losing sleep over it. But thanks for your concern! However, i am a bit concerned that bands were asked to play without submitting. It;s up to the organisers at the end of the day and as with all events like this there is always an agenda of some sort. BTW Jo Mango is originally from Aberdeen and used to play at the old Drakes, she moved to Glasgow to go to uni and is very good.

Bands can and have been signed from Go North, but whether they were decent deals or not is up for debate. (you can sign to a label, have your album recorded and then the label are well within their rights to shelve it while they promote someone else's album, and you are stuck in a deal with an album you can't release) There is no point in signing yourself away to a label for the sake of it. I know lots of bands who've been stung, out of sheer deperation to get signed.

That;s not to say that I wouldn't play Go North, after all I did submit a cd. It's just that you have to roll with the punches so to speak.

The best bit of Go North is going to see bands from outside Aberdeen (2 years ago the Ruffness, last year Hoboken), watching A and R guys swank around like they're the bees knees and then getting lost round the harbour trying to find Drakes...

At the end of the day, if I spend the rest of my life releasing independently then so be it, it's not all about getting your mug on TOTP or MTV.

And seeing as you won't be seeing me at Go North, please all come to the Moorings, watch me drink tequila and try to remember my songs and buy the Moorings Live album with bonus tracks...shameless plug...

jo

x

Until Jo signs a deal she hasnt had enough interest from a label' date=' what you're saying is that the further along you are and the harder you work the less worthy you are to get a place on the showcase. Jo has had interest from labels but she's worked hard to get that, her albums are all self released and self financed, she's done it herself. Going out and touring with Midge etc is great experience and fun, and helps her sell albums, but it doesnt get you a lot of label interest, bearing in mind despite writing last years top selling song and playing to 1000 people a night Midge himself is currently without a label. Jo needs the chance to get signed as much as any other act, yes she's had interest through the years but that shouldnt mean she cant get and doesnt need more, she's working hard and should be rewarded for that. It's like saying, because you get record company interest you shouldnt get more. If you're good enough whether you're Stayover, MMw and Gone 2 Far, or Jo you will get record company interest, that shoul;dnt be a stumbling block. This is about bands trying to get a deal so they can release albums nationally on a label and to make contacts, Jo needs that and deserves it as much as anyone else does.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Thanks for that, it was very informative.

Oh and on what Jo said, when is the gig at the moorings? I haven't seen you play since about 2yrs ago at Drakes :(