aberdeen-music

AKA The Fox

psydoll

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Went great, , even though we were on first, but it did mean we got a soundcheck. The place filled up well quickly, so there was plenty atmosphere, and the whole night was good banter.Yet to play a bad gig in the weej (yes there is some timber at hand), heres hoping it stays that way! Carnage factor; relatively low.

Went great' date=' , even though we were on first, but it did mean we got a soundcheck. The place filled up well quickly, so there was plenty atmosphere, and the whole night was good banter.Yet to play a bad gig in the weej (yes there is some timber at hand), heres hoping it stays that way! Carnage factor; relatively low.[/quote']

I enjoyed the Snafu gig, I was the audience! Where the fuck was everyone? Twas good anyhoo....like a private gig!

Good point Betamax. I was kind of wondering how I missed you there, coz I was one of the ten or so who were there too - thought I would recoginise you as i'm sure we spoke briefly when you guys played at the Lemon Tree with AKA the Fox.

When's the next Videos gig anyway?

I just listened to an AKA the Fox mp3 at last and this is my opinion on it:

The singer is really good and has a very distinctive voice, definately the strongest element of the whole track. Something about this reminds me of simple minds! It's definately very poppy, and a little retro, well structured, and certainly a lot more interesting than the average aberdeen band.

On the downside, the vocals sound digitally clipped and harsh and the drums are pathetic. The bog standard 909 kick in the intro says it all, the drum sounds used are bland default drum machine samples, the closed hat is far too high in the mix and the end result is that it sounds like an otherwise good tune has been ruined by some untalented producer sticking a shitty half-arsed drum track over it. Bin the drum machine and get a human drummer and producer with a degree of competence that matches the vocal and guitar parts.

Good effort though all in all compared to the usual aberdeen fare, plenty of potential, just needs tightening up.

I just listened to an AKA the Fox mp3 at last and this is my opinion on it:

The singer is really good and has a very distinctive voice' date=' definately the strongest element of the whole track. Something about this reminds me of simple minds! It's definately very poppy, and a little retro, well structured, and certainly a lot more interesting than the average aberdeen band.

On the downside, the vocals sound digitally clipped and harsh and the drums are pathetic. The bog standard 909 kick in the intro says it all, the drum sounds used are bland default drum machine samples, the closed hat is far too high in the mix and the end result is that it sounds like an otherwise good tune has been ruined by some untalented producer sticking a shitty half-arsed drum track over it. Bin the drum machine and get a human drummer and producer with a degree of competence that matches the vocal and guitar parts.

Good effort though all in all compared to the usual aberdeen fare, plenty of potential, just needs tightening up.[/quote']

dont agree bout the drums since I love robot drums it makes the whole band sounds like a machine live (a good thing)

Good point Betamax. I was kind of wondering how I missed you there' date=' coz I was one of the ten or so who were there too - thought I would recoginise you as i'm sure we spoke briefly when you guys played at the Lemon Tree with AKA the Fox.

When's the next Videos gig anyway?[/quote']

well at the end of I wanna be your Dog there was only me and me chick stood holding our our empty beer glasses on the dancefloor so we woulda been hard to miss! Ive got a skinheed hairdoo at the mo so maybe you didnt recognise me, plus Im sure you think Im our bass player anyway (the wierd albino guy in the kilt), cos hes the one who generally talks to everone at gigs

i thought there would lotsa people there to chat to to be honest.... part time scenesters! :D

anyhoo next up for TV is

Zapatista solidarity benefit 26th June (Sunday) at the Tunnels beingb organised by the Sidca chaps

Featuring>>>>>>>

The showing of a documentary, and a talk from the Edinchiapas group.

Alan Cynic

Sidca or Saint Maybe

Some stuff from Rory & Lea's Kovorox roster

Spike Pile Driver

The Sultans of Cripple

The Videos

Hmmm, am curious to know what vintage of mp3 you heard, basically if its last years I agree that it sounds a bit dodge, and if its this years I don't, whats the song & describe any distinguishing features please. The thing is that the electronic tech element is what I love about it, the more we sound like a rock band the less interested I am. We ave started working with a drummer recently, and he is a full-on member of the band now, even though not YET live. But the crucial factor is that he is (I THINK) the best techno/house/electro etc DJ in toon, so that remains a huge influence on the sound & riddims. That said, I just don't buy the orthodoxy that 'real' drums are better than 'fake'. Ta for comment anyway, always handy.

its a fact that drum machines have better personalities than human drummers

i would be much more comfortable introducing my Roland TR606 to family or friends than the drummer out of TV

and for some reason drummers seem proud of their social disfunctionality

TR606...retro garbage :D Sounds as cheap and nasty as it looks...

Pick up an SR16 and a DM PRO module....slightest bit more flexible than 16 beats per bar... :D

dont need no modern shite!

when a nice cheapo cliche boof tsh boof boof tsh does the the trick!

Ive also got a Roland presets beatbox CR2000? which is even more unflexible than the 606 and therefor its even better.......the bossanova preset being my favorite...no human interference with the genius of the machines see!

got a fully programmable drum sampler too for modern shit if I need to go there, but to be honest I prefer the simple cheapo sounds and me sampler just gets filled with 606 stuff anyway

the SR16 sounds like a rock drummer in an 80s studio with his soul removed > its not a proper machine

bleep