aberdeen-music

Observations about the scene

Hog

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah that ruled :)

Then those cock suckers destroyed it all.

Actually had the chance of claiming the half pipe but was too late :|

i seem to remember it going out to george crook's house in banchory. was around the same time the bowl got built in banchory too, where i lived at the time. or maybe that was another one. i think the one from stoneywood went out to alford to some guy's house.

Why target the metal genre? I am way more open minded than that........

If you knew what you were talking about that statement would never of came out.

Obscure?? Haha yet another opinion in the aberdeen music forum. I don't care for your opinion either. If you had read my earlier posts you would know that i listen to a wide range of genres. I guess that makes you look really silly ;)

Next time do your homework boy and don't try to do a real mans game :)

Idiot. People who run venues are in it TO MAKE MONEY.

Work the rest out for yourself.

Guest Bob Double Jack

i do laugh at people who take things too seriously. All people do things to make money, from making music, to selling pies, to cleaning toilets. And i never mentioned the "scene" once. Cos i dont get the bizarre direction this post has taken anyway. and soundian makes some typically brilliant sarky posts. Tres humereux

People who run venues are in it TO MAKE MONEY.

We were already making good money prior to running a venue. We bought The Moorings because we loved the place. We've since discovered that venues are an excellent means of getting rid of money.

A venue will at best earn someone a decent living, but in order to do so they'd have to work a LOT of hours. This also assumes that the venue is in good working order and that there's no rent or mortgage to pay. Occasionally circumstances do conspire whereby someone ends up in the fabled "right place at the right time", but the chances of that are on par with scoring a platinum disc :)

In order to earn serious money it would be necessary to acquire a chain of venues... and that in itself would require a big investment to start with.

In my experience people run venues for the same reason that people play in bands, or work as sound engineers, or roadies... because that's what they want to do for a living. It's a lifestyle choice.

If you want proof of this then just look around town. Many venues have sprung up over the years but hardly any of them survive and most of the owners gave up a long time ago. The only three that I can think of who managed to last the course were Sandy at the Blue Lamp, Ian at Radars/Kef etc, and my predecessor at The Moorings John Porter. Of those only Ian would qualify as 'wealthy' and that weath was accumulated by other means.

In my experience people run venues for the same reason that people play in bands' date=' or work as sound engineers, or roadies... because that's what they want to do for a living. It's a lifestyle choice.

[/quote']

exacto

any trying to get rich by running a venue (or being in a band etc) should fuck off and work in a bank

The AECC wasn't strictly built for the benifit of the oil industry' date=' deary.... although saying that... just to have a small stand at the Offshore Europe you're talking about forking out 10k minimal... some of the larger companies shell out as much as half a million for their stands... plus staff... plus catering... plus modifications to the kit itself so that it spurts neon pink gunk... not to mention the more unusual sites such as ... I think oit was one of the american companies that paid a girl to basically roll around in a giant tank for a day dressed as a mermaid.

The AECC also hosts large dog shows, craft fairs... carboot sales... and the odd random exhibition... all of which get attended by thousands every year. So no... after the oil industry dies it will still hae a purpose.[/quote']

I was at that oil show trying to sell people shit they really dont need, but they had lap-top dancers and free vodka, so i sold fuck all, i saw you there too i think, then i was put on a bus and taken somewhere else by someone I didnt know for more vodka and more lap top dancers in a massive tent with a melted dead pig being ripped apart by fat blokes in suits and braces from Holland and lots of coke (a cola)

when the oil stops most of aberdeen dies - not just the AECC, but since the oil price is projected to reach 104 dollars a barrel this year its not gonna be for a while the break even figure for the north sea is approx 15 dollars per barrel....this is all thanks to the war on terror :down: and was probably part of the plan all along....only problem is that bus fares might go up

spunk

The aberdeen scene to me is non existent' date=' i only really want to go see a few bands every year in aberdeen. Too many bands that do play aberdeen don't challenge me enough to go and see. If only the bands that i go to see in glasgow came to aberdeen then i would be happy. The aberdeen community isn't diverse enough and is far too shallow.[/quote']

didnt want to say anything (stupid topic really tbh) but this post is the reason the "scene" (such a crap word) does not exist properly. people like you who will only go to see a few bands every year........then where the fuk do all the local bands get their audience from if you are going to be such a snob and not go check them out and support, nae, help MAKE a scene.

if you (and this isnt personal to you, there are many others out there just the same) cant be arsed going to watch local acts play wherever. then stop posting your opinions of the local scene...

ps. i have scene (ha ha) most, not all, local acts. i have a list i am working my way through. and some i dont like i will still go watch again cause they are bothering to get off their arse and do something.

I was at that oil show trying to sell people shit they really dont need' date=' but they had lap-top dancers and free vodka, so i sold fuck all, i saw you there too i think, then i was put on a bus and taken somewhere else by someone I didnt know for more vodka and more lap top dancers in a massive tent with a melted dead pig being ripped apart by fat blokes in suits and braces from Holland and lots of coke (a cola)

when the oil stops most of aberdeen dies - not just the AECC, but since the oil price is projected to reach 104 dollars a barrel this year its not gonna be for a while the break even figure for the north sea is approx 15 dollars per barrel....this is all thanks to the war on terror :down: and was probably part of the plan all along....only problem is that bus fares might go up

spunk[/quote']

I saw you too.... we realised there was a similarity in cases for pieces of minikit looked like funky colourful versions of good synth cases...

there was also a simulator game... and free food at the woodgroup stand... I ate cakes and spoke to striking blonde german men that day... I also got given a free sponge... and a bouncy ball.

God bless the oil industry.

dont think so

no aliens' date=' just a screaming nutter, a dodgy maze of corrugated iron and a very real looking chainsaw

fucking genius

it was prob called ''terror'' or ''you will all shite your pants''

or something[/quote']

I remember both....Alien War was fantastic...damn real looking costumes....the other one was pure fucking scary....but for the love of me i cant remember the name of it....all i remember was holding onto my sisters hand for dear life at the start and being very relieved at the end....and of course i wanted to go again!

i do laugh at people who take things too seriously. All people do things to make money' date=' from making music, to selling pies, to cleaning toilets. And i never mentioned the "scene" once. Cos i dont get the bizarre direction this post has taken anyway. and soundian makes some typically brilliant sarky posts. Tres humereux[/quote']

There are alot of grindcore bands out there that do it for the love of the genre, because they believe in what they do in, also this style of music has no real profit as alot of the bands have to tour 52 weeks a year

didnt want to say anything (stupid topic really tbh) but this post is the reason the "scene" (such a crap word) does not exist properly. people like you who will only go to see a few bands every year........then where the fuk do all the local bands get their audience from if you are going to be such a snob and not go check them out and support' date=' nae, help MAKE a scene.

if you (and this isnt personal to you, there are many others out there just the same) cant be arsed going to watch local acts play wherever. then stop posting your opinions of the local scene...

ps. i have scene (ha ha) most, not all, local acts. i have a list i am working my way through. and some i dont like i will still go watch again cause they are bothering to get off their arse and do something.[/quote']

I guess that's why i have seen various local bands