aberdeen-music

METALLICA and BOB ROCK part ways.

Nah its about time. The Black Album was a masterpiece of production but everything after that was a letdown or just shit. 'Load'' date=' 'Reload', 'Garage Inc.' and especially 'St Anger' were all very very poor. Out of five consecutivealbums only one was good. Now as much as this is Metallica's fault, the producer will definitely have had a lot to do with it. Compare that to the trio of 'Ride The Lightning', 'Master of Puppets' and '...And Justice For All'. All far better than the most recent four. Bring in Mutt Lange or the original 'Tallica producer (Ramussen or whatever hes called) and lets get back to the fucking rock!

Mike :rockon:[/quote']

Mutt Lange??!!???

Do you actually know what youre talking about....as in really...do you?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lars is apparently going back to his Load kit for the new album' date=' so at least he'll have a decent sounding snare.[/quote']

Even if he had the greatest sounding drums of all time, you're not going get away from the fact that Metallica are now a load of mass-produced, radio-friendly wank.

Personally, even if Bob Rock did part company, I doubt it would make any fucking difference. A bunch of arrogant clowns like Metallica are not going to bow to ever whim of their producer. The post-Black Album sell-out was as much to do with the band as anyone.

Lets just fondly remember Metallica for the way they once were.....the old Metallica are never coming back.

Guest loco chavez

i think ur all missing the point bob rock is a producer that makes a band big and makes them very commercial so they make lots of money. He has done his job in Mettalica and they are big so now once again they can care about the music

St. Anger should have been titled "Bob Rock and Metallica present ST. ANGER!"

If you've seen "Some Kind of Monster" you'll know what I mean! He had as much input as the then three memebers of Metallica did into the album! In fact, for a fair bit of the recording (you're given dates of events in the movie) it's Bob Rock, Lars and Kirk sitting in the studio writing songs - Hetfield's in rehab, apparantley left the band and Bob Rock is encouraging them to work! He played bass on the album, titled it, came up with lyrics and totally shaped the sound of the record. I think it was his idea to ban the solos as well (If you can show me a more gutted man than Kirk Hamment is when he is told this I'll be surprised!)

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, if you want to blame someone for what St. Anger sounds like, blame B. Rock. I'm assuming the previous albums (Black, Load etc.) followed a similar pattern, if you know what I mean.

On the other hand, I think "Frantic" is a fucking beast of a song and it always gets the air drums going when I'm in my motor. Fran - tic - tic - tic TIC TIC TIC TOCK! But I dinnae really like Metallica - I can pick and choose. "Kill 'Em All" is pretty good, innit? That gets a blast every now and again.

And I would reccomend the movie to anyone - fan of the band or not. It's great viewing.

i think ur all missing the point bob rock is a producer that makes a band big and makes them very commercial so they make lots of money. He has done his job in Mettalica and they are big so now once again they can care about the music

When Metallica make another metal epic of Master of Puppets proportions, I'll admit I got it wrong. Although knowing that James and Lars are a pair of arrogant feckwits who seem to lust after fame above all else these days, I dont think I need worry too much....

St. Anger should have been titled "Bob Rock and Metallica present ST. ANGER!"

If you've seen "Some Kind of Monster" you'll know what I mean! He had as much input as the then three memebers of Metallica did into the album! In fact' date=' for a fair bit of the recording (you're given dates of events in the movie) it's Bob Rock, Lars and Kirk sitting in the studio writing songs - Hetfield's in rehab, apparantley left the band and Bob Rock is encouraging them to work! He played bass on the album, titled it, came up with lyrics and totally shaped the sound of the record. I think it was his idea to ban the solos as well (If you can show me a more gutted man than Kirk Hamment is when he is told this I'll be surprised!)

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, if you want to blame someone for what St. Anger sounds like, blame B. Rock. I'm assuming the previous albums (Black, Load etc.) followed a similar pattern, if you know what I mean.

On the other hand, I think "Frantic" is a fucking beast of a song and it always gets the air drums going when I'm in my motor. Fran - tic - tic - tic TIC TIC TIC TOCK! But I dinnae really like Metallica - I can pick and choose. "Kill 'Em All" is pretty good, innit? That gets a blast every now and again.

And I would reccomend the movie to anyone - fan of the band or not. It's great viewing.[/quote']

Its true Bob Rock had a 1/4 part in the making of St Anger, for that album he was, and treated as a fourth member but in the end its a group decision what goes on the album and how it sounds.

Look how the band members reacted when they were told to do radio jingles and how it would effect them if they didn't do it - radio stations wouldn't play there music.

They didn't do the jingles - they went with what they wanted to do.

There big boys now they do what they want, not what anyone else wants, they play what they want to hear not necessarily what we want to hear.

For the record i would prefer them to be like they were pre Black album but it ain't gonna happen. I got over that years ago :moody:

It is...St Anger tunes all came from jams in the studio any way. Just because a metal band you like is doing something different you don't have to find someone else to blame...it's Metallica "fault" if you want to call it that. It's a totally pointless argument because people will always look back to the "glory days" and try to blame Rock.

Marsh says: "I'm assuming the previous albums (Black, Load etc.) followed a similar pattern, if you know what I mean." ehhh no!

Mutt Lange??!!???

Do you actually know what youre talking about....as in really...do you?

Do you, like, watch, like, too much Saved By The Bell, or, like Beverley Hills 90210....'cause that shit is like soooooo 1991, and, like wasn't Mr Belding just rad?! Whatever!!

Marsh says: "I'm assuming the previous albums (Black' date=' Load etc.) followed a similar pattern, if you know what I mean." ehhh no![/quote']

if you want to blame someone for what St. Anger sounds like' date=' blame B. Rock.[/quote']

I meant before Bob Rock joined the ship the albums were less commercial, but since he's joined they have become more radio - friendly. Since folk are looking for a reason Metallica have become more, er, shite in the last decade or so, I thought I'd try and point out that Bob Rock seems to have a big input into what goes into the albums. Since i'm nae really a fan I don't know all their albums inside out, so I mean I assume the albums inbetween Black & St. Anger follow a similar pattern of commercial sounding blandness.

Sorry, my original statement was clumsy.

Do you' date=' like, watch, like, too much Saved By The Bell, or, like Beverley Hills 90210....'cause that shit is like soooooo 1991, and, like wasn't Mr Belding just rad?! Whatever!![/quote']

Oh totally dude!!!!

Like...for sure...im super stoked!

Anyway. You answered my question. Thanks.

Mutt Lange...ahahahahahahaha!!!

Guest Scorge Spike

There's no chance of Metallica making a good album ever again - being honest, I think they lost their edge as soon as a) Cliff Burton was forced off this mortal coil, and b) when Slayer released Reign In Blood, single handedly battering anything Metallica had put out until that point.

Just shut up.

Well screw you by the way, but they are 2 of my favourite albums by the band and being a big fan of the band I think that would be a really good thing for them to do.

Seeing them in Dublin in 2003 and then Download in 2004 @ Glasgow Green, I think they still have it in them to make another master piece, like the Master and Jusitce albums, and lets not forget that they were producing this kind of quality without the help of Bob Rock.

Well screw you by the way' date=' but they are 2 of my favourite albums by the band and being a big fan of the band I think that would be a really good thing for them to do.

Seeing them in Dublin in 2003 and then Download in 2004 @ Glasgow Green, I think they still have it in them to make another master piece, like the Master and Jusitce albums, and lets not forget that they were producing this kind of quality without the help of Bob Rock.[/quote']

Fair enough, but check this out first.