aberdeen-music

Kitchen Cynics News & Reviews

Alan Cynic

This is the first review of my new 2 CD set, 'Flies'

The Kitchen Cynics Flies One / Flies Two (Perhaps Transparent) 2CD-R -

I still have fond memories of watching Alan Davidson, who basically is The Kitchen Cynics, having an intense discussion about Mississippi blues with Jack Rose in the basement of a taqueria in Providence, RI. That kind of passion isn't fabricated. And as a songwriter Davidson is all passion and aching emotion with his sepia toned visitations of moments passed but not forgotten. From his home base in Aberdeen, Scotland, he's labored in relative obscurity through the years, releasing 20-plus fuzz tinged trad psych folk collections for the faithful in various formats, showcasing his soft croon and slightly outsider perspective on life, love and the passing of time. His songs are centered around his trusty acoustic and voice, both doused in reverb, along with some effects, flute, piano and bells woven in.

Flies plays like a greatest hits 2CD, only it's entirely new material recorded over the past two years specifically for this release, and I'd say its as fine a summation of what Davidson's been up to as any I've heard so far. He's operating at the peak of his abilities here. Flies One finds sleepy folk melodies draped in reverb and effects with fingerpicked melodies which reach an emotional crescendo on "Green Grows the Laurel 2," a long lost meeting of psych folk Donovan and the Incredible String Band. It's a masterpiece that takes its time telling a story of youthful longing refracted through the prism of age over a meticulously crafted musical backdrop. Davidson's playing and singing here are destined to leave a lump in the throat of even the most die-hard rationalist. Also remarkable from One is the 16 min "Conversation Pieces" which unites a renaissance air with exploratory prog and improv in a way that should appeal to lovers of spaced out MV/EE. Two is just as good with a combination of delicate instrumentals and even some banjo in the case of the haunting "Miss Tiptoe." Fans of Roy Harper, Incredible String Band, COB (whose "Music of the Ages" is covered here) really need this one, me thinks.

Lee Jackson (Womblife)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've another one just finished.....it's called 'The gleam in the heron's eye'. Here's what broadcaster John Cavanagh says about it...

The Gleam in the Heron's Eye cdr (self-released) 5

It has oft been said here at the Melodybar that every (and we do mean every) Kitchen Cynics release will reward the listener with gems, even those who already have a few of Alan Davidson's records on their shelves. His ability to turn out songs galore makes it hard to write about his abundant output without sounding as though we're saying the same thing over and over. The Gleam In The Heron's Eye has wistful beauties, a poignant thing which A.D. treats with self-deprecating humour by calling it "Overly sentimental song", a lesson on nature's laws ("Pecking order"), some music hall sass ("Beryl, won't you shave your legs tonight) and much more. New Kitchen Cynics record: need I say more? (JC)

There's also a new matricarians one just completed, called 'The Circumbendibus Railway' (this was a planned 'inner-city' railway from 1862 which never actually got built).

It hasn't been reviewed yet, but here's a review for the last one, 'Chewart Croft'...

Chewart Croft cdr (self-released) 5

One of Kitchen Cynics' Alan Davidson's other projects. This is like Kitchen Cynics' dream alter-ego - analogue synths, bells, piano and occasional vocals come together to create a magical soundworld with a deep sense of nostalgia. "The Midwife Has A Baby" sounds like "I Hear A New World" had Joe been obsessed with forest spirits rather than outer space. The buzzing of bees, hum of field recordings and child's glockenspiel of "He Cut A Sappy Sucker" reminds me of Phosphene or a more archaic Colleen. Nursery rhymes and lullabies for ghosts.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's John Cavanagh's review of the new Matricarians one....

Matricarians - The Circumbendibus Railway cdr (self-released) 5

The Circumbendibus Railway sounds like a word creation of, perhaps, Stanley Unwin, but in the days when any plans with railway stamped on them were likely to raise lots of funding, this was proposed for the inner city of Aberdeen. Susan Matthew, Alan Davidson and David MacKay have constructed a set of titles, venturing where the railway itself never made it into existence. With pieces named The gentlewomen of the third-class carriage or The third mystery - the sawdust floor, you can draw up your own story board as you listen. Alan Davidson's voice and guitar are here, but there's a wash of beguiling drones and distant hypnotic piano too... gorgeous stuff. Roll up for the mystery tour! (JC)

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Craig...I've just sent a package of all my CDr releases (apart from the 'For Will' ep, which Will Schaff has the run of, the 'Tunnels' live one on Barl Fire, andthe 'Tune-a-Day' original series) to Melody Bar. They won't be up on the lists yet, but should be soon...... (must be about 20 cds, or more).

boa melody bar

Eoin....I was thinking of doing a CDr with every vinyl copy, but I doubt it'll be downloadable.

Kitchen Cynics chose all the music, plus did 3 live songs on John Cavanagh's Soundwave, which starts in about 10 mins (8pm) on Radio Six tonight, Monday.

Click here at 8 to listen.....

radio six international

Untitled Document

Enjoyed listening to this. A good choice of music as well - The Television Personalities and Jake Thackray :)

• 4 weeks later...