aberdeen-music

Kitchen Cynics News & Reviews

Alan Cynic

Can I pop up here to mention that Folk Police Recordings have made a skip full of Alan's back catalogue available to download via Bandcamp? So far we have uploaded A' the Bonny Bumps and Bruises, Cornkisters, Where Are We Now?, Dust, I Went to an Alehouse, Disconnected and Compulsive Songwriting Disorder.

As an introduction, we've made Rites of the Mainspring, Alan's 2008 24-track Kitchen Cynics sampler available for a limited period as a pay-what-you-want download (minimum price 1.00)... not that I'd imagine you need any introduction!

There are plenty more to come over the next couple of months, so I'll keep you posted. Please pass it on!

Kitchen Cynics

Cheers,

Nigel at the Folk Police

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Here's Melody Bar's review of my new one...

Kitchen Cynics - Ampometer cdr (self-released) 5

Excellent new release from Alan Davidson that finds him at his most haunting, particularly on the atmospheric instrumentals that mix field recordings with his unmistakable guitar sound. Some great new songs too such as the weird casio pop of "Ampometer". A couple of new versions of old songs (one for John's radio show) - "Jock Sheep" and "The Gleam in the Heron's

Eye". Finally there's a poem read by Alan's late father "I Wish I Were a Caterpillar" mixed up with some swirling radiophonics.

Highly recommended.

....and here's their review of the new Matricarians one...

Matricarians - When We Were ... cdr (self-released) 5

Taking its cue from the more abstract recordings on Kitchen Cynics' releases, Alan Davidson & his Matricarians cohorts create haunted soundscapes from singing bowl, guitar, zither, clarinet, piano and theremin. A kitten plays theremin on one track! Gorgeous stuff. ALSO: Do You Know? cdr (self-released) 5 / Up Down & Sideways cdr 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...