aberdeen-music

Kitchen Cynics News & Reviews

Alan Cynic

I thought it might be fun to post some Kitchen Cynics reviews, live dates etc.....

:music: Here's a bit from the latest edition of 'Ptolemaic Terrascope'.......

KITCHEN CYNICS - PARALLEL DOG DAYS

(CD on Secret Eye PO Box 170 Barrington, RI 02806 USA)

KITCHEN CYNICS - COMPULSIVE SONGWRITING DISORDER

(CDR on Freaks End Future, Willem Linnigstraat 10, B-2060 Antwerp, Belgium, Eu)

You could never accuse Aberdeen, Scotlands Alan Davidson of sleeping at the wheel. Yawning, perhapscocking his head sideways, maybebut the lad is ever vigilant in negotiating the detritus of failed love affairs and faded memories with the enchanted aural confections he performs as the Kitchen Cynics. I first heard the Cynics do a version of Tom Rapps Stardancer on the first For the Dead in Space tribute album years ago now, and was instantly, effortlessly transported to another world. Davidsons reserved, literate Scottish accent perfectly captures the ethereality of Rapps haunting original, with subtle use of fuzz and effects beneath delicate fingerpicking, serving as the perfect aural springboard to your favourite secret garden. Needless to say, it made an indelible impression. Ever since Id approached the music of the Cynics with a curious awe, something whispered about and asked for in dusty record shops to no avail, before I finally tracked Davidson down via email and arranged a fruitful transaction.

Sporting one of the more memorable titles in the recent history, Parallel Dog Days is one of two new Kitchen Cynics releases making the rounds, this time courtesy of the same people responsible for the Tom Rapp tribute albums, For the Dead in Space Vol.s 1-3, Secret Eye (formerly Magic Eye)all highly recommended for the discriminating psych folk fan. Parallel is the first Cynics album to be released on American shores to date, but lets hope not the last (the excellent singles comp Seasonings is screaming for a larger pressing as I type). In Davidsons own words, the album title refers to his earlier, wilder days: I used to frequent a local pub where a guy would always bring in his dog, and, instead of standing at right-angles to the bar, it stood parallel, often causing the regulars to fall over it when they stepped backwards. I admired its refusal to change its ways! There isnt a better metaphor for the poignant determination that marks this recorded legacy.

For the uninitiated, this is the perfect way into Davidsons sleepy folk dream world. Melodic acoustic guitars sketch vivid images with delicate brush strokes, creating a bevel for nostalgic recollections of youthful indiscretions and drunken date-swappings. Each of these twenty songs offers an assured, slightly post punk/lo-fi version of folk pop with bits of cheap synthesizer, muffled percussion and cortex-tickling distortion fleshing out the typically austere approach. But ultimately its that hushed delivery and a credible, often hilarious, insiders perspective on the ins and outs of these characters that makes this such a worthy treat. The hypnotic longing and slighted jealousy of The Place You Hid, the medieval recollections of At Villa E.1027 (Eileen Gray Reflects), the Nick Drake by way of Donovan memories of North of Balmedie, West of the Waves and the serene folk bliss of Tune for Tom Rappa simple gesture of goodwill to one cult legend from anotherare waiting to be heard late at night, a glass of cheap red wine in one hand, a dear friend nestled tightly in the other.

The aptly titled Compulsive Songwriting Disorder offers more of the same in terms of quality songwriting, but as its title suggests, this is a bit darker collection. Tracks like the spartan opener The Tartan Shawl and the spectral Great-Uncle Jacks Deathbed Dance paint forlorn melodic swathes in a dark, overcast sky. The tender interpretation of Bridget St. Johns Ask Me No Questions is a sweet kiss goodnight, before the more caustic Murphs Song explores nooks and crannies of melancholic longing to hypnotic effect with its haunting refrain, weve come together, but were all alone. Other track highlights: the sinister discontent of Waiting for Your Mail, the slow burning fuzz wash of Lethargic Lover, the extended sound dream of Dialogue (featuring a lovely harmony vocal from Cara Lewis) and In Dunottar Woods, with music that sounds like its emanating from a very old phonograph, fitting for this sort of moody folk pop impressionism. See www.secreteye.org/se and www.freaksendfuture.com for more information. (Lee Jackson)

:music: Here's what the next issue of DREAM magazine (USA) has to say..........

The Kitchen Cynics Master of the Fuzzy Fadeout (Alan Davidson, 346 Holburn St., Aberdeen, AB 10 7GX, Scotland) Sitting (or standing) in his living room recording studio/observatory; Alan Davidson continues to spill out his seemingly endless song-flow. Opening and closing this with the late great John Peel adds a poignancy to the already melancholic mood. Often the feeling is like a sort of personal Celtic blues; but there is magic, and deep mystery too. Folk music in a quiet circular orbit; dreamy melodic gifts and confessionals from a compassionate soul. Pushed and pulled by love and desire, caught between the personal and the mythic. Fairport Convention get respect in the form of a chilling and beguiling rendition of Crazy Man Michael, there's a Jeff Kelly cover that could pass for an original, and a really pretty interpretation of Bridget St. John's Ask Me No Questions. There's also the darkly beautiful Songs of Spring which is Alan's first collaboration with Jesse Poe of Tanakh. In between these, are over a dozen fine new examples of Davidson's singular songcraft.

:music: This is from the webzine, Foxydigitalis..........

Artist: The Kitchen Cynics

Album: Master of the Fuzzy Fadeout

Rating:

Label: Self-Released

I once wrote that it's not only strange; it's a crime that Scotland's one-man orchestra the Kitchen Cynics remains tragically unknown. Although things seem to slowly move in the right direction these days, it is beyond my understanding why not more people have heard his work.

"Master of the Fuzzy Fadeout" includes another dose of the kind of potent, slightly psych-tinged folk weve come to expect from Alan Davidson. That means lingering folk pop with an almost ancient aura, flavored with the occasional guitar outbirst, blissful noise or aural collage. But dont get me wrong; this is primiarily a disc about beauty, reflection and pondering. This is music made to listen to on the headphones when all the lights have gone out and all there is left is yourself and your own thoughts. In our never-ending campaign for bringing heartfelt and honest music to the masses, I'm happy and honored to celebrate the arrival of "Master of the Fuzzy Fadeout," possibly the Kitchen Cynics most consistently enthralling and powerful work to date. - Mats Gustafsson

:music: Del Franklin wrote this kind review for the new issue of 'Is This Music?'.........

The Kitchen Cynics Master Of The Fuzzy Fade Out

One man band Alan Davidson has been churning out lo-fi (mainly) acoustic tunes for over a decade now. This latest effort sees him and his sporadic selection of musical collaborators on fine form. Although many would pigeonhole these songs as sounding acoustic folk. Davidson has created a niche that is truly his own. Sure there are shades of the usual suspects such as Syd Barrett and Tim Buckley but the bittersweet melancholy ditties on showcase here are in a league of their own. Davidsons sharp wit and poignant lyrics are worth noting as well and whilst this record isnt the most instant youll ever hear, stick with it, theres much within the mystical sounds and gorgeous rich overtones thatll leave you panting for more. One criticism is you wish hed write more up tempo tunes in the vain of Weasel Bride but that really is splitting hairs. This and other Kitchen Cynics releases are available by contacting Alan via kitchencynics@ecosse.net (4/5)

:up: I was chuffed to get a mention in an interview with Ben Chasny (Six Organs of Admittance/Badgerlore). It's from "Junk Media"'s Top 10 interviews of 2004......

Ben Chasny does not like labels. "Folk music? Never heard of it, never played it," he proclaims in the entertaining press release accompanying Six Organs of Admittance's new School of the Flower. "Rock is the new folk and folk fucked rock without the reach- around so rock is out to get some." OK then! Chasney's Six Organs of Admittance (mostly a one man show) is a tough beast to get a handle on, but once you do, there are untold delights to be found.

One of your songs was included on Devendra Banhart's recent Golden Apples of the Sun compilation. Do you feel any kinship with the other "new folk" (or whatever it's being called these days) artists that are on that disc? Is there really a "folk revival" or is it just a media thing?

I feel like I am friends with some of the people in that media construct but I am not really best friends with others. I don't know. That particular song was kind of just a fun pop song with fairly meaningless lyrics but for some reason Devendra wanted to put it on his comp. I tried to persuade him to use something less shallow but he wouldn't have it. He's funny like that. I like him very much. How can you not? He's so hairy and filled with so much positive energy. He's so positive that I feel like a washed up fisherman from a disgusting shanty town hanging out with Frank Sinatra when I'm hanging with him. I wish I had that much enthusiasm and love instead of wishing for the end of the world every day.

As far as a "revival," I would point people towards Stone Breath, Ghost, The Kitchen Cynics and bands like that before they start thinking this is new. Why is nobody talking to Stone Breath about their views on music nowadays? They're great and totally overlooked by everyone. As far as the media's interest, I am sure it is almost fully done, and all the better for it. Once it's done, then I think the real music will start getting made.

:band: UPCOMING KITCHEN CYNICS LIVE DATES.......

SHIFT live at the Castlegate Sat 26th March

Lunchtime set, Tunnels 7th April

Supporting Baby Karma, Drummonds 17th April

Supporting Major Matt Mason/Pantsuit Tunnels 27th April

Supporting Sgt Buzfuzz, Tunnels, May

July.....dates in NYC (inc 2nd WFMU session), Providence RI, Nick Drake memorial concert etc

:partyboy: NEW RELEASES.......

Still available....'Master of the Fuzzy Fadeout' (5 inc p&p)

Out in Summer....5 track ep, only available from Will Schaff (cover artist for GYBE etc)...details to follow.

A song I co-wrote with Jesse Poe will be on the next Tanakh album (out sometime)

:popcorn: Very excited that some Kitchen Cynics songs are on the soundtracks to the pilot versions of a US travel series called 'Slow Cool Blue'. The producer, Jeff Duggan, is hopeful they'll be picked up and a whole series commissioned.

Phew!!!! Thanks for your time :love:

I once wrote that it's not only strange; it's a crime that Scotland's one-man orchestra the Kitchen Cynics remains tragically unknown. Although things seem to slowly move in the right direction these days' date=' it is beyond my understanding why not more people have heard his work. :[/quote']

I think this says a lot, probably one of Scotlands finest & he's still in relative obscurity I think people will SHIFT attitude as his playing live momemtum continues.

Thanks all!!!!

:music: I forgot to add this review from the Belgian Psych van het Folk site.........

Les Enfants du ParadiddleThe Kitchen Cynics : Master of the fuzzy fadeout (UK,2004)***'

Master of the fuzzy fadeoutThat sounds like a good title for an Alan Davidson release ! It could be true, but isnt necessarily so, and it sounds funny at the same time. Here Alan (plays guitars, dulcimer, psaltery, tin whistle, and sings) has help from Duncan Hart (on cello) on two tracks, Mike Napier (on guitar) on another track, Philip Johnston (sitar, flute or recorder on 3 other tracks), and of Jesse Poe (of Tanakh) on second vocals on another track.

Each song has a small note to the inspiration on the booklet, which I think is a good idea, even when the songs speak so much for themselves. Nice to see a couple of interpretations too. I like Alans version of Crazy Man Michael (Fairport Convention) with his warm whispery voice, and some nice flute from Philip Johnston. Also the nice interpretation of Bridget St.John track (Ask me no question), has Philips recorder added to it. Further we also have a Green Pajamas song too, Dont ever go. Like always Alan Davidson songs sound still like a diary of the most poetic and at the same time most cynical moments of the day / of unique and odd visions and reflections experienced in daily situations. Usually, in daily situations, experienced by healthy brains, we are more often in the mid of contradictory situations which we can melt to a normal vision with some humour. That kind of talent is also closest to Alans talent, not that this is the only theme expressed here, but it reflects one of such possible creative reflections. This time mostly I really have to listen more carefully before all situations reveal themselves with the songs. Never the less with each listen, and like always with Kitchen Cynics, I can first of all enjoy the music. Weasel Bride is more or less the only track with some soft fuzz distortion, slightly faded down, with a kind of nursery rhyme rhythm. Last track is a kind of live bonus track at Dr.Drakes, with sitar (by Philip Johnston ?) and acoustic guitar, with a small improvising bit, while people continue talking, coughing, whistling along, during this really very beautiful version.

A very consistent, fine release !! Recommended !!

:partyboy: Also forgot to mention I'm on a couple of songs (playing electric guitar and tin whistle!) on "the tyranny of birdsong" release by The Phoenix Cube, and should be on a couple of compilation albums soon (one in Belgium, and one in Ireland, hopefully.)

There's an interview out on a Belgian webzine called 'Storing', but as it's all in Belgian I'm not sure exactly what's being said!!!

A french mag called 'Derives' gave me a less than glowing review :down:, and there's one in a Czech mag which I don't understand, too.

I once wrote that it's not only strange; it's a crime that Scotland's one-man orchestra the Kitchen Cynics remains tragically unknown. Although things seem to slowly move in the right direction these days, it is beyond my understanding why not more people have heard his work.

That sums you up man!

Seriously. Your song about the architect lady (damn my memory) is in my top 3 favourite local songs ever.

Cheers

Hog :cheers:

Providence.....you lucky bastard Alan....maybe you could go hang out with Lightning Bolt and NOXAGT!!!

But really.....im glad you got your american gigs sorted....i know thats what you wanted...

Funnily enough the folks I'm staying with know Lightning Bolt, but I doubt I'll be in their company. Where I'd like to be hanging out is Philadelphia, where there's a great wyrd-folk scene (Banhart, Espers, Jack Rose, Josephine Foster, Sharron Kraus etc). No such luck, though!

Far too humble

It's great to hear how you're getting on sir. You can count on the eric euan boys always tipping their hat to you. You probably are Aberdeens best example of a consistant and amazing Artist. Most in these parts can only aspire to achieve such a solid body of good work in their time. I for one stand amongst them.

Take care sir and I hope to see you soon.

Guest Zeenat Aman
It's great to hear how you're getting on sir. You can count on the eric euan boys always tipping their hat to you. You probably are Aberdeens best example of a consistant and amazing Artist. Most in these parts can only aspire to achieve such a solid body of good work in their time. I for one stand amongst them.

Take care sir and I hope to see you soon.

Well said!

Guest Mr Blastcap

spell checkers of the world unite

the other day i was reading that silly student paper and saw the listing for the shift two thing, do you know they called you "the kitchen singer", the twits. so i went through the whole paper and highlighted all the mistakes. bloody shocking these students.

mind i cant spell that well me self and have shocking gramma.

Guest stuartmaxwell

the student newspapers are bastards, they have very little in the way of a clue

they would rather write about razorlight

gah, alan is better than razorlight

Briefly winged my way into the Shift tent on Saturday - just missed your set Alan I'm truely sorry. Hope it went well!

Looked a great assortment of artists and films, wish I'd been in a position to stay longer but the bass frequencies of the Nucleotides scared my wee lass. We sat outside for a while longer but it rained. Sob.

Good job to Chilli et. al. for organising the event! Kudos!

Ian,

Part-time.

I made the usual quota of mistakes, Ian, but fortunately nobody was drunk enough to launch missiles at me :D Great event though......agree with you about the organisers, who deserve a massive pat on the back/big sappy kiss. In the event we give them the latter bagsy I get Sharon, and you can have Jim, Chilli and Graeme :kiss:

Guest stuartmaxwell
I made the usual quota of mistakes' date=' Ian, but fortunately nobody was drunk enough to launch missiles at me :D [/quote']

next time gadget

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh