aberdeen-music

Kitchen Cynics News & Reviews

Alan Cynic

I think it would be beneficial for all if Alan were to give a weekly song writing tip... take it away Alan!!!

:D

Dangerous, but I'll have a go...

KITCHEN CYNICS SONGWRITING TIP No.1...........

Write down your chords & store them safely!!!!! (I record stuff, chuck out the lyrics/chords sheet, then, years later struggle to remember what the chords were....usually because I've varied the pitch of the portastudio :) )

Dangerous' date=' but I'll have a go...

KITCHEN CYNICS SONGWRITING TIP No.1...........

Write down your chords & store them safely!!!!! (I record stuff, chuck out the lyrics/chords sheet, then, years later struggle to remember what the chords were....usually because I've varied the pitch of the portastudio :) )[/quote']

TOTALLY IN AGREEMENT. My memory is awful. I can hardly remember the patterns and chords for the NEW album, and it's not even out yet!

Here's that Belgian review (dunno exactly what it says, though!).........

KITCHEN CYNICS - COMPULSIVE SONGWRITING DISORDER

cd-r - Audiobot, 2005

http://www.freaksendfuture.com/labels/audiobot.php

http://singersong.homestead.com/TheKitchenCynics.html

ons oordeel: 8,5

"Close your eyes, gently" zingt Kitchen Cynics aka Alan Davidson geruststellend op 'Ask Me No Questions', een cover van Bridget St. John. We geven maar al te graag toe aan dit verzoek en zinken langzaam weg in een wereld vol psychedelische lo-fi folksongs waarin echo's van Pearls Before Swines en Syd Barret doorsijpelen. Davidson weet een onschuldige wereld te creren die ons tracht te verleiden met melodieuze akoestische gitaarmelodien en betoverende fluitjes, die zo natuurlijk als de klaterende bergbeekjes in de Schotse Hooglanden uit Davidson's pen vloeien. Achter de naviteit die deze songs soms uitademen gaan melancholische mijmeringen schuil die in mooie potische teksten gegoten worden als 'Snowflakes, Oatcakes and Earthquakes'. Alles werd door Davidson zelf thuis ingespeeld, uitgezonderd het nummer 'Dialogue' waarop hij begeleid wordt door Simon en Carla Lewis. Kitchen Cynics heeft in de loop der jaren een bijzonder indrukwekkend aantal releases bij elkaar geschreven, waarvan het merendeel cassettes en cd-r's, maar ook enkele officile releases op labels als Secret Eye. Compulsive Songwriting Disorder biedt een fascinerende kijk in de hersenspinsels van deze Schotse bard.

tekst: bart de paepe

Upcoming live dates..........

7th April The Tunnels...lunchtime gig

17th April Drummonds...suporting Emma Forman

27th April The Tunnels...supporting Maj Matt Mason/Pantsuit

4th May The Tunnels...supporting Rick Webster (Unkle Bob)

7th May Drummonds...supporting the Incredible String Band (this will hopefully be a whole Kitchen Cynics Orchestra line up)

KITCHEN CYNICS SONGWRITING TIP No.2.......

Do NOT sit on the edge of your loft trapdoor when writing songs. The results can often be painful, (and harmful to your guitar) :down:

*makes note to wear missile-proof clothing next time' date=' or position innocent bystander in front of me as missile deflector*[/quote']

It still won't stop them - I got 'glassed' again last night at Exodus.

I was reassured that it's a sign of affection though so all is not lost. :)

Guest Zeenat Aman

KITCHEN CYNICS SONGWRITING TIP No.2.......

Do NOT sit on the edge of your loft trapdoor when writing songs. The results can often be painful' date=' (and harmful to your guitar) :down:[/quote']

Uh oh, you had another fall?

Thrown quite expertly over the plastic protection thing missing Dave and striking me to the right of my belly button.

:D

It could have been worse....it might have been a vase he threw. If it had lodged in your middle you would have required a 'vase-ex-tummy'.

Here's a Kitchen Cynics interview for all you Belgian speakers to enjoy......

http://www.storing-zine.net/feature.php?id=31

(photos by Andy Mulhern!)

Guest stuartmaxwell

i am well trained in missile and abuse throwing operations and have a vast experience. most notably launching a half pint of warm beer at eagle eye cherry t in the park 99 (or 2000) and it all being captured close up on the tv coverage.

over the years i have learned to target quite accurately-even when i am truly plastered (like on saturday)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
It could have been worse....it might have been a vase he threw. If it had lodged in your middle you would have required a 'vase-ex-tummy'.

Christ, don't remind me. I've barely recovered from my post-snip agonies.

Guest Zeenat Aman
i am well trained in missile and abuse throwing operations and have a vast experience. most notably launching a half pint of warm beer at eagle eye cherry t in the park 99 (or 2000) and it all being captured close up on the tv coverage.

over the years i have learned to target quite accurately-even when i am truly plastered (like on saturday)

Why do that?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I've heard it's more than a tad painful :down:

Verging on crippling. Ouch. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

The daftest bit is providing samples. Catching it in the little tube is an art in itself.

Here's a new review from the Psychedelic Albums Folk/Psych site...............

Review: The Kitchen Cynics is the one-man singer-songwriter project of Alan Davidson based in Aberdeen, Scotland. Since the 1980s Alan has produced a plentiful back catalogue of self-released tapes and CDRs. 2003 saw his debut US CD release Parallel Dog Days on the Secret Eye label. The Kitchen Cynics style is characterized by acoustic folk songs delivered with Alans delicate Scottish accent, his astonishing sense of melody and the attention to detail of his sublime string arrangements that with just the right amount of effects bathe many of his songs with a warm psychedelic glow. I feel almost ashamed of my laziness in drawing comparison to one of Alans idols Nick Drake, yet despite the clich of using such a description, I'll stick my neck out here and say that the beauty and precision of his compositions and performances are more worthy of such comparison. Style and delivery aside, the heart and soul of Alans work that raises all his releases, including this one, way above average singer songwriter fare, and something that always strikes a chord with me on a personal level, is his poetic lyrical genius that draws heavily on the gritty realism of life in what us Brits fondly refer to as "Little Britain". Personal tales of love and loss amidst the harsh reality, mundane and idiosyncratic existence of everyday life are delivered with the contrasting sensitivity and crudeness that typifies the world inhabited by characters of say a Mike Leigh play. Just like those unforgettable kitchen sink dramas such as Life Is Sweet and Abigails Party, Alans stories have the ability to have the listener shedding tears of sadness one moment then, as Alan would probably sing it, pissing oneself with laughter the next. Such a studied and Im guessing experienced observation of the human condition is rarely so simultaneously touching and entertaining as this. So what about this album then, well its poignant from the offing, Rue Bonaparte opens with a sound bite of the late great John Peel introducing one of Alans tracks on his sorely missed radio show. I received my copy of the album a couple of months after Peels death so whether Peels cameo was a coincidence or a posthumous homage to the great man on the part of Alan, I dont know, but either way it never fails to make the hairs on the back of my neck bristle when I hear Peels introduction. There are way too many stand-out tracks on this album to list them all one by one, but several great moments I have to mention are; Nows The Time Alans touching and heartbreaking tribute to Nick Drake, one of the most beautiful songs Ive heard in recent months, and featuring an exquisite performance by Philip Johnston of Sundaram on sitar; the pharmaceutical themed metaphors of lust on Chemist Shop Girl, several brilliant covers such as Bridget St Johns Ask Me No Questions and Fairport Conventions Crazy Man Michael graced with Philip Johnstons flute that for me actually improves on the original; Songs Of Spring a melancholic duet with Tanakhs Jesse Poe; and the tragic tale of the Weaver Lass with one of my favourite lines of the album they danced like flieson fishing lines. So to paraphrase Alan, my advice from another old cynic would be get yourself a copy of this masterpiece of an album and let the poet entertain you. (8/4/05)

Rating: vvvvv

Buy this album: Master Of The Fuzzy Fadeout

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guest Zeenat Aman

Nows The Time... exquisite performance by Philip Johnston of Sundaram on sitar"

Crazy Man Michael graced with Philip Johnstons flute that for me actually improves on the original"

My ego say's "far out!!" :rockon:

If I die before you, Advice from an old Cynic is going to be such a hoot to play! :D

Thanks for the KC records and CD. ;)

Here's the Belgian review:

"Close your eyes, gently", sung soothingly by the Kitchen cynics, aka Alan Davidson in Ask Me No Questions, a Bridget St. John cover. All too willingly we comply with this request, and slowly we drift into a world of psychedelic lo-fi folksongs, containing echoes of Pearls before swines and Syd Barrett. Davidson creates an innocent world, which tries to woo us with melodious acoustic guitar melodies and enchanting flutes. They flow from his pen as the mountain brooks from the Scottish Highlands.

The naivety that these songs sometimes seem to exude, hide melancholic musings, cast in beautiful poetic lyrics like Snowflakes, Oatcakes and Earthquakes. Everything is played and recorded by Alan Davidson at his home, except the song Dialogue, on which he is accompanied by Simon and Carla Lewis. Over the years, Kitchen Cynics has brought out an impressive number of releases. The largest part of these is on cassettes and cd-rs, but there are also official releases on labels like Secret Eye. Compulsive Songwriting Disorder offers a fascinating view into the mind of this Scottish bard."

By the way: THE LUNCHTIME SHOW AT THE TUNNELS WAS AWESOME!

[gets down on knees and does 'the Wayne and Garth': "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"]

Here's the Belgian review:

The naivety that these songs sometimes seem to exude' date=' hide melancholic musings, cast in beautiful poetic lyrics like Snowflakes, Oatcakes and Earthquakes. Everything is played and recorded by Alan Davidson at his home, except the song Dialogue, on which he is accompanied by Simon and Carla Lewis. Over the years, Kitchen Cynics has brought out an impressive number of releases. The largest part of these is on cassettes and cd-rs, but there are also official releases on labels like Secret Eye. Compulsive Songwriting Disorder offers a fascinating view into the mind of this Scottish bard."

By the way: [b']THE LUNCHTIME SHOW AT THE TUNNELS WAS AWESOME!

[gets down on knees and does 'the Wayne and Garth': "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"]

Hey,...thanks, John!!!!!!! That's very kind of you (both doing the review and the nice comment about the Tunnels). That's a few drinks I owe you!!!! :cheers:

Here's a comment from the Psych Folk Forum....

"Just a little thing, shipping news...i realized that Alan Cynic is a member of The Kitchen Cynics! For the moment i just have 'Parallel Dog Days' and i'm really in love with 'Carol by Candlelight'. What a dreamy voice, it sounds so old and fascinating. Congratulations again and again.. "

Sounds about right to me.......Old, but at least she also said fascinating :laughing: