aberdeen-music

Kitchen Cynics News & Reviews

Alan Cynic

Thank you! Here is a new review from 'RISE & SHINE'...........

SHIFT 2

@ Castlegate, Aberdeen - 26th March 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And they say that good bands never come to Aberdeen, ignore them, if anything, Aberdeen never comes to anything good.

For today to be possible, Drakes Productions, Interesting Music Promotions and Peacock Visual Arts came together to ensure that the impending logistical nightmare did a U-turn. This event was well managed, professional, and had a very exciting, eclectic line up. Its great to see that Aberdeen can pull this off, its unlikely that you would see such a festival in hotspots like Glasgow and Edinburgh. The event was also supported by Aberdeen City Centre Partnership and Aberdeen City Council, with funding from the Scottish Executives City Growth Fund as part of the Energising Aberdeen initiative.

As with the initial SHIFT, the event coincided with the clocks changing.

To open the event we were treated to quirky and unique local singer songwriter, Alan Davidson under the moniker The Kitchen Cynics. Alan has a tremendous talent for song writing, and is arguably, Aberdeens best kept secret. The audience were taken on a 30 minute journey of wonderful, toe tapping lo-fi folk gems executed with the charm and charisma that can only come from someone who genuinely has a passion for the music they write. Alan was an absolute joy to watch.

Do yourselves a favour and check out any of his extensive back catalogue. 8/10

Reviewed by Stuart Maxwell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the first 2 reviews of the 'For Will' ep (ltd to 50 copies only)..........

This is from 'Broken Face'

:music: Kitchen Cynics For Will (William Schaff)

William Schaff is an amazing artist that among billions of other things has done cover artwork for Okkervil River, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Songs Ohia, Eyesores, Kitchen Cynics, Scott Farkus Affair and Havanarama. Add to this hundreds of trading cards, posters and flyers and its easy to understand this mans importance for the Providence, RI underground scene.

I believe that the history behind this release is that Alan Davidson (AKA Kitchen Cynics) was very keen to get hold of an original Schaff drawing and when approaching him about it he suggested a swap. The two came to the agreement that Davidson would write five songs loosely inspired by Schaffs artwork and produce a limited run of 50 CD-Rs, which he later sent to Schaff in return for the drawing. That disc, appropriately titled For Will, arrived at my doorstep the other week and as with every single Kitchen Cynics release its a very worthwhile listen.

The Cynics have released over thirty recordings in one form or another since the late 80s so it doesnt come as a big surprise that Davidson is a master of penning a nice melody. Marvelous folk floaters with an elusive timeless quality are placed right next to intimate bedroom psychedelia. Acoustics mix with electrical instruments, but no matter chosen style the outcome is always draped in emotional honesty and although most of the tracks are relatively downcast they somehow also manage to be infectious. Kitchen Cynics repetitive sound world and fragile beauty recalls Syd Barrett at his most hypnotic but the poetic lyrics has probably more in common with Tom Rapp. If any of these two or Robin Hitchcock are names that ring a positive bell you know what to do.

.....and this is from 'Psych van het Folk' (Antwerp)......

:music: private The Kitchen Cynics : For Will -EP- (UK,2005)***

I've noticed before how some musicians like the work of William Schaff for CD cover artwork (The Eyesores first and second album, Death Vessel, Poor Minstrels, In Gowan Ring, Songs Ohia, Okkervil River, Godspeed You, Black Emperor!, Gravenhurst and even Sharon Kraus). Alan Davidson suggested a swap to obtain an original drawing. The agreement was this EP with 5 loose inspirations on his drawings. Two of these chosen drawings for inspirations you can see here above. The visions are a very dark reflection on some things that people are informed about, of what happens in the world, with emotional fears tearing a person apart, frightening images, with often a dog watching over a lonely person.

The songs of Allan are a bit sadder than usual, (with lots of sad and soft keyboards, with organ, melodica, acoustic guitar, and fuzzguitars..) and they are made with a reflective compassion. They are somewhat cooperative; "Sparrow Scratch Board" is cowritten with S. Matthew, "Where's my Wife?" with by Duncan Hart, with cello by Duncan. A beautiful work.

Only 50 made and only available through William Schaff.

Info : http://www.williamschaff.com/

Here's a new one from 'Unbroken Circle'.....

:music: On their new limited E.P. The Kitchen Cynics make playful folk music that is by turns uplifting, mysterious, psychedelic and always beguiling. 'Sparrow Scratch Board' evokes blissful childhood holidays bird watching, memories only just remembered. 'The Big Parade' is blissful and drifting whilst 'Me and St George' is like the second Clive's Original Band album mixing middle eastern arrangements and melodies with British folk song. 'Where is My Wife?' moves from questioning introspective verse to soaring chorus with fuzzed electric guitar solos and lyrics about 'hearing the beating of your wings'. 'Dinner for Three (including the dog)' is a mystery, a mini-drama in song set in a kitchen. A great EP and one that I will return to often, especailly for those songs which seem to evoke long summers of my youth and childhood that was soon to be lost.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Zeenat Aman
Frosty Jack's hand was very steady' date=' and he made an excellent job of the video, especially considering the task was thrust upon him at the last second :D Thank you very much, FJ!! :kiss:

Copies will be done soon, never fear![/quote']

Nice, are there close ups of our off stage antics?

I listened to the For Will EP properly today, mmm, great stuff.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Fear not....there's no evidence of your dalliance with the goat :D (apart from a lovesick goat' date=' of course!)

Thank you re the EP!![/quote']

Bearing in mind that I have inside info on your pre-gig 'relaxing', you better watch what you say Mr Cynic!

:D:p

• 4 weeks later...

i bought 'Master of the Fuzzy Fade out' from Alan a few days ago and its the best cd ive bought since the 'Yoshimi battles the pink robots' by the flaming lips in 2002!

i really mean that - its nit gonna come outta my cd player till i'm sick of it and i doubt i ever will be!!!!

go Alan your a REAL(!!!!!) local hero!

[stewCat]

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some blurb from WFMU's July schedule....................

TWO BANDS: The Kitchen Cynics & In Gowan Ring with Nick Castro

Monday, July 11th, 3pm - 6pm

on Irene Trudel's show

Monday July 11th: It's a psych-folk-a-rama! First, a rare visit from Scotland's Kitchen Cynics (aka Alan Davidson), notable for weaving dreamy threads of song. The ever-prolific Mr. Davidson's latest self-made disc is "Master of the Fuzzy Fadeout, " laden with glorius echo-drenched guitars, floaty flutes and trad-folk finery. Then Nick Castro joins in with the mysterious In Gowan Ring for more than a few beautiful moments in music. Nick has just released a new album on Portland, OR's great Strange Attractors label. As a review the foxydigitalis.com website describes him: "Castro is a master craftsman. His songs flicker in the air like distant stars; they're subtle at first glance, but as you dig deeper, you realize how immense they really are." The reclusive In Gowan Ring joins Nick during this tour, with a new album on the way. It's been a great while since their last recorded output, always a unique synthesis of folk, medieval and psychedelia.