aberdeen-music

So, who's coming to the Moorings tomorrow?

Doc Ascension

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scorge Spike
Didn't hold my interest though.

At least we held it long enough for you to watch the whole set, though. Wonder if you'll manage the same at the Malt Mill tonight? ;)

I'm still in fucking agony after last night, my right arm doesn't want to move and I can only just walk again - however, it was worth it, and I had more of a ball than I thought.

Big cheers for all who stayed to watch, especially the folk going tits at the front :D. We should be a lot tighter come the next gig (can't remember specifics, I'll get round to posting a thread nearer the time) and be able to play at least another 2/3 songs that we had to cut last night to get straight to Durin's Bane (aka the 10 minute marathon at the end).

:band:

At least we held it long enough for you to watch the whole set' date=' though. Wonder if you'll manage the same at the Malt Mill tonight? ;)

I'm still in fucking agony after last night, my right arm doesn't want to move and I can only just walk again - however, it was worth it, and I had more of a ball than I thought.

Big cheers for all who stayed to watch, especially the folk going tits at the front :D. We should be a lot tighter come the next gig (can't remember specifics, I'll get round to posting a thread nearer the time) and be able to play at least another 2/3 songs that we had to cut last night to get straight to Durin's Bane (aka the 10 minute marathon at the end).

:band:[/quote']

its never worth your while paying your money to watch just one band now is it. :D

Guest Scorge Spike
its never worth your while paying your money to watch just one band now is it. :D

True story.

PS: Do you still want those 302 hats (ie. the ones I mauled last night)? I can take them tonight in exchange for 25 buck.

Guest Scorge Spike
I take it you don't like Rime of the Anceint Mariner either then?? And Then There Was Silence??

Everone needs a 15 minute epic!

I think we kept him past his bedtime, the shallow bastards we are. :D

Having only caught the last band, i do agree the last song was too long and the guitarists were good, to me Scorge was the highlight, the singing, I thought, was pretty weak and despite liking the guitarists I think exchanging one of them for a bassist would have brought the band a cohesive sound that was missing. It was the first gig, but I also think pssibly some keys might make a big difference to making the 15 minute song fly by. Despite the criticism not bad for a first try with a bass holding it all together and better vocals i really think you guys would be a lot better.

Cheers

Stuart

pissed off that i missed weeping jesus but made it up by downing jager's with them instead.....

i liked shatterhand although i'm not really into punk but i was loving some of the songs, good job. Bassist had and ace vest on too..

wasn't keen on dirtbox, sorry

Ascension were very enjoyable, the guitarist with the blind gaurdian t-shirt on was something else on the axe. Not bad for a first gig at all. I particularly enjoyed moshing the whole way through the set.......keep it up

Guest Scorge Spike
I also think pssibly some keys might make a big difference to making the 15 minute song fly by. Despite the criticism not bad for a first try with a bass holding it all together and better vocals i really think you guys would be a lot better.

Cheers

Stuart

Strangely enough I agree with all three criticisms - the trouble is finding a bassist and a keyboardist capable of keeping up (I hope that doesn't sound like a boast, sadly it's the truth). We ended up just thinking that we should do a show as we are, try and keep tight, and see what comes of it.

Stew will get better, he's still tuning his range and geting his head around some of my dafter lyrics. :p

Guest stuartmaxwell
Strangely enough I agree with all three criticisms - the trouble is finding a bassist and a keyboardist capable of keeping up (I hope that doesn't sound like a boast' date=' sadly it's the truth). We ended up just thinking that we should do a show as we are, try and keep tight, and see what comes of it.

Stew will get better, he's still tuning his range and geting his head around some of my dafter lyrics. :p[/quote']

bassists are shite. montrose won yesterday :D

my band is simply guitar and drums, so much easier to organise. my guitar is pretty fat (hughes and kettner rig) anyway.

Having only caught the last band' date=' i do agree the last song was too long and the guitarists were good, to me Scorge was the highlight, the singing, I thought, was pretty weak and despite liking the guitarists I think exchanging one of them for a bassist would have brought the band a cohesive sound that was missing. It was the first gig, but I also think pssibly some keys might make a big difference to making the 15 minute song fly by. Despite the criticism not bad for a first try with a bass holding it all together and better vocals i really think you guys would be a lot better.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Thanks for the input! If we lay the tracks down on an EP/Album there will def be Keys in there... and Gregor would play bass! Unfortunately we don't know any ppl to play live for us. Our songs require two guitars so unfortunately we couldn't sacrifice hehe!

But i think once we get smoothed out it will be much better, Wilky didnt have much time to remember all the lyrics so he can only get better too!

But comments much appreciated!

pissed off that i missed weeping jesus but made it up by downing jager's with them instead.....

i liked shatterhand although i'm not really into punk but i was loving some of the songs' date=' good job. Bassist had and ace vest on too..

wasn't keen on dirtbox, sorry

Ascension were very enjoyable, the guitarist with the blind gaurdian t-shirt on was something else on the axe. Not bad for a first gig at all. I particularly enjoyed moshing the whole way through the set.......keep it up[/quote']

Weeping Jesus weren't my bag, i just couldnt enjoy them - Shatterhand, not my thing but better than Dirtbox by far. That guitarist/singer for Dirtbox was a bit up himself wasn't he? The slick back David Schwimmer(sp??) didn't help!

I was impressed with the amount of people up for a good mosh! Hope to see you chaps again soon

Oh and that would be Gregor - you might remember him from Metal Militia a while ago, fucking out of this world...

Here's my attempt at constuctive critique etc.

Dirtbox were my favourite band of the night. They were tight, their playing was rounded and intelligent, their tunes were catchy, and they were tight as fuck. They had their sound down to a tee, and the vocals were good. I'd have liked to have recorded them but was too busy with Mark not being around.

Shatterhand - I wish their guitarist would desist from hooking up 2 cabs to his amphead. The guitar was far too loud on stageand the only solution was to make everything else as uncomfortably loud as the guitar. Perhaps their not used to the guitar being mic'd up??? Apart from that I liked them.

Weeping Jesus took a while to settle into it, and had just started getting really good towards the end of thier set. I'd recommend less distortion on the guitars.

Ascension could definately use a bass to fill out the sound, without a bass everything tends to sound trebley (strangely enough). It's always good to feel bass flowing accross the floor. I suspect they may have altered the guitar sound to compensate for the lack of bass but IMO power metal requires a relatively clean piercing guitar rather than a grungy sound. They had lots of energy and really kept everyone entertained.

The crowd were really good.