aberdeen-music

Recording studios in aberdeen

ben_1903

Okay, so tears of grace are going to record our first demo/ep at the foyer which is going to be loverly.

But later on when we are a more experieinced band, tighter, and with more dosh we want to record an uber demo/ep thingy.

Aside from the foyer any ideas of a super-cool studio that does'n't charge a biollion squid?

I know about exile, and cap'n toms. Any recomendations from bands who have had a good recording or anyone heard a good cd from a studio?

Thanks

Some people get a hard on over The Mill' date=' but I don't rate it one bit. [/quote']

just wondering, why don't you rate it? What i've heard from it has been pretty good. Seems to me that the engineer is good at his job, and if you know what you want as an end product you're going to get a pretty good result.

Guest Scorge Spike
just wondering' date=' why don't you rate it? What i've heard from it has been pretty good. Seems to me that the engineer is good at his job, and if you know what you want as an end product you're going to get a pretty good result.[/quote']

I've heard about half a dozen different Mill recordings, and they all sounded a bit ropey given the sizeable price tag for it.

I'm looking abroad for recording with one of my projects - it'll cost that little bit more, but by fuck it'll blow anything from this neck of the woods out of the water, and chances are it would sound more like a professionally well engineered composition, I can't think of anything from an Aberdeen studio that does.....

This isn't meant as disrespect, more my perception on reality....;)

I've heard about half a dozen different Mill recordings' date=' and they all sounded a bit ropey given the sizeable price tag for it.

I'm looking abroad for recording with one of my projects - it'll cost that little bit more, but by fuck it'll blow anything from this neck of the woods out of the water, and chances are it would sound more like a professionally well engineered composition, I can't think of anything from an Aberdeen studio that does.....

This isn't meant as disrespect, more my perception on reality....;)[/quote']

I know what the average band spends at the mill and trust me the price tag is not that sizeable.....go listen to a Pallas album and hear whats achievable when you spend some money.

You always have to remember, you can only get out as good as you put in...so many bands go to the Mill under prepared and it costs them money, the hours tick by whether you are ready or not.

I've heard about half a dozen different Mill recordings' date=' and they all sounded a bit ropey given the sizeable price tag for it.

Agreed.... scorge - we are recording our shit at Timo Tolkki's Goldenworks studio I should let you know...

He is also going to be the producer :pwww.stratovarius.com for more info haha

I know what the average band spends at the mill and trust me the price tag is not that sizeable.....go listen to a Pallas album and hear whats achievable when you spend some money.

You always have to remember' date=' you can only get out as good as you put in...so many bands go to the Mill under prepared and it costs them money, the hours tick by whether you are ready or not.[/quote']

I have to agree with that, Jo's first album 'Nothing Whispered to Katy' was recorded at the Mill over 10 years ago and to my mind still sounds very fresh and good now, whereas some of the other recordings she's made haven't aged so well. My favourite recordings from her are still the ones she did in Cava last year but if you don't want to spend the money to go out with Aberdeen then the Mill is easily your best bet imo.

Cheers

Stuart

i'd love to try recording in some of the glasgow studios but a lack of funds prevents it. mark did a great job with our last cd so i think we'll go with him again for our next one and see how it goes. we'll put a bit more time and money into it this time and hopefully get an even better result.

:laughing: HAHAHAHA! that's your best joke to date Scorge! :D

Guest Scorge Spike
Agreed.... scorge - we are recording our shit at Timo Tolkki's Goldenworks studio I should let you know...

He is also going to be the producer :pwww.stratovarius.com for more info haha

Not a bad idea' date=' except for the fact that we can't shit money. Would be the f'kin bees knees though!

go listen to a Pallas album and hear whats achievable when you spend some money.

I don't think the recordings do Pallas justice. I've got a bootleg circa 1984/5, it's actually quite good......

:laughing: HAHAHAHA! that's your best joke to date Scorge! :D

Humourous without even trying? Christ, I should be on Channel 4.......

i agree with the home recording route... it's very easy to make things that sound as good as or better than recordings at the mill, and just as organic.

saying that, some times you just have to do live drums, and i have to agree partially with some people in saying that i don't rate any of the studios in aberdeen for getting a decent drum sound/mix. i haven't heard the new MMW cd yet, so i'm half reserving judgement until then, but none of the studios seem to get a a kit sounding good, and then a kit sounding good IN the mix. that of course depends on what drum sound you are going for, but if the music you are recording is to have a big "phat" sound, then having a big "phat" drum sound is crucial.

how much is the mill per day? or does it depend on the band?