aberdeen-music

Okay, a little help..

Guest crime-is-for-dorks

Cheers for the comments man - and thanks for coming along - much appreciated!

as ben is banned I will just say in his defence that the whole camp mic-swinging thing is very much like a lot of things in that you either rate it or hate it' date=' and that we have quite a few long instrumental sections where he has nothing else to do!

Cheers,

Dan

(yes it actually IS me people)[/quote']

I think the problem is that it gives the impression that Ben has to be in the limelight all the time, it's distracting, in my opinion part of the thing about being a good frontman is knowing when to just blend into the background and give the other band members a chance to shine, something Ben never did on Monday.

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem is that it gives the impression that Ben has to be in the limelight all the time' date=' it's distracting, in my opinion part of the thing about being a good frontman is knowing when to just blend into the background and give the other band members a chance to shine, something Ben never did on Monday.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Fair enough man.

Although stealing the limelight you say... hmmm. Maybe it's time for me to convince the guys to let me write longer and more guitar solos. :D

Guest crime-is-for-dorks
Fair enough man.

Although stealing the limelight you say... hmmm. Maybe it's time for me to convince the guys to let me write longer and more guitar solos. :D

*Spits coffee over monitor*

Guest stuartmaxwell
calum dude calm down man dont rise up to him.

At the end of the day at least u have a band man at least you are up there doing your thing.....as for the GOFONS haha well.....need i say more.

People like that who cant do their own thing will always think they know better just leave them to dream about finaly making it onto stage.

er i am actually in a band in glasgow as well as gofones

you can catch us on our scottish mini-tour in march

all dates are with someyoungpedro and hey enemy.

17th edinburgh teviot (students union)

23rd glasgow 13th note (with wall street ammunition hero)

24th dundee reading rooms (with findo gask)

25th aberdeen lock up (with reasons are red, small enclosed area tbc)

26th inverness market bar (with small enclosed area)

ive been on stage a few times before also

when are stayover going to do their own thing??

as for that idiot from my downfall, when you turn 18 ill take you seriously

Guest crime-is-for-dorks

25th aberdeen lock up (with reasons are red' date=' small enclosed area tbc)

as for that idiot from my downfall, when you turn 18 ill take you seriously[/quote']

Sounds like the wind-up merchant got wound up...

Guest stuartmaxwell

i would also like to point out that i am a wind up merchant. i dont do it to piss people like calum off, i do it as a joke.

oh well, i wont be losing any sleep.

ill eat my shoe (my old tatty ones) when my downfall put out that first release on EMI

25th aberdeen lock up (with reasons are red' date=' small enclosed area tbc)

as for that idiot from my downfall, when you turn 18 ill take you seriously[/quote']

Holy shit bob look out they managed to get a gig at the lock up!!!!! Never mind the Dundee reading room!!!!!!

Damm it this world isnt fair.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Holy shit bob look out they managed to get a gig at the lock up!!!!! Never mind the Dundee reading room!!!!!!

Damm it this world isnt fair.

well, it was originally drakes. :dunce: short notice etc, itll be a cool diy type gig.

you should come along. it will be fun. you probably wont like our noisy/tuneful and dumb music (probably) but you would enjoy the other bands.

no need to mock us, unlike yourselves we havent achieved much, we havent supported sugarcult or rooster or any other world class bands, we aint done any arena uk tours or anything.

but we have fun, thats our aim :D

well' date=' it was originally drakes. :dunce: short notice etc, itll be a cool diy type gig.

you should come along. it will be fun. you probably wont like our noisy/tuneful and dumb music (probably) but you would enjoy the other bands.

no need to mock us, unlike yourselves we havent achieved much, we havent supported sugarcult or rooster or any other world class bands, we aint done any arena uk tours or anything.

but we have fun, thats our aim :D[/quote']

i think its funny maxi that you give all these little kids abuse but yet when it comes back to you , you dont really have anything smart to say anymore do you. Of course Stayover havent acheived anything yet and you were wrong we did not supporst Sugarcult or Rooster that was Point. We are trying tho thats the main thing isnt it. Mhy point was you slagg off everyone elese band and here mate having a go at a 16 year old is pretty partheic isnt it, but yet you have done nothing yourself in the music industry i think the list of dates you put up pretty much shows this as well. I will come see you in the lock up and you never know i may just like what you are doing.

Get off your high horse maxi cause youve got no reason to be there.

Ben asked me to post this up for him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly I just want to say thanks to all who came along and those that gave their feedback on the evening as well. We had a lot of fun that night. 200 people at a show where we were closing with a superb supporting bill of bands. Especially seing as Fightstar were in town as well.

I do feel it necessary to defend myself a little on this although I do find it rather amusing that my performance as a frontman is usually really appreciated by audiences who dont post on here or THINK they know me.

Anyway, Stuart, I REALLY must disagree with your views on my role as a frontman. I quite often, during weapon sets, point at other band members if a particular part of a song is coming where they are at the forefront. We also have sections in our songs where purposefully I drop behind the three guitar players and allow them to have full run of the front edge of the stage. Dan and Jamesy especially are always moving and we often are banging into each other as I move back and forward from front to back. Im sorry but I respect your view that you see me as the weak link perhaps because you dont like my singing etc but your views on my frontman persona are ill founded and cant see any basis on fact. I dont intend on hogging the limelight whatsoever and enjoy it when the crowd cheer when dan solos or they scream a line of jamesys. I care about the bands performance as a whole and thats why I try to entertain as best I can.

Frosty Jack. I was pretty happy with your post and again, really appreciate you accepting jamesys offer of coming along for free. I do fail to understand how you cant see that Im really feeling what im singing because thats something that the majority of people have complimented me onthe passion I do put in. Im also a bit bored of people attacking the mic swinging thingAgain, how can that grate on you? I find that quite ridiculous to be perfectly honest.

I might be off the mark here but I feel that yourself and Stuart (Jester) dont really understand the style of frontman I am and not being into the genre we come from and are influenced by, thats totally understandable.

Anyway. As I said, thanks for your views. I just felt the need to pick you both up on points within your views that, to me, are really rather petty.

Ben

Guest stuartmaxwell
i think its funny maxi that you give all these little kids abuse but yet when it comes back to you ' date=' you dont really have anything smart to say anymore do you. Of course Stayover havent acheived anything yet and you were wrong we did not supporst Sugarcult or Rooster that was Point. We are trying tho thats the main thing isnt it. Mhy point was you slagg off everyone elese band and here mate having a go at a 16 year old is pretty partheic isnt it, but yet you have done nothing yourself in the music industry i think the list of dates you put up pretty much shows this as well. I will come see you in the lock up and you never know i may just like what you are doing.

Get off your high horse maxi cause youve got no reason to be there.[/quote']

i have never had anything smart to say. i also dont "give all these little kids abuse". i just used 5fd and my downfall as two examples of bands who are not in the same calibre as my mate whatshisname.

of course the main thing is trying (if thats what you want to achieve) i never said it wasnt.

where was i having a go at a 16 year old?i generally rant. look again. wrong again.

the music industry is full of tossers like you, me, fat cat phil from xxxx records, smarmy coke faced pr tosser from xxxx, dickhead promoter from xxxx.

i am quite happy being in a hobby band thank you very much (not that i have the talent to "go anywhere"). i have a pretty good job with a solid career ahead of me, music is important but i like money more.

i think for a band who have yet to play a gig i think we are doing alright on the ability to get shows, so i do not see what point you are making there, other than the fact that these are substandard venues. you try booking a tour for three out of town bands with a month and a bits notice. you will be ignored by the likes of bannermans, king tuts and the likes

i aint on any horses either :nono:

Anyway' date=' Stuart, I REALLY must disagree with your views on my role as a frontman. I quite often, during weapon sets, point at other band members if a particular part of a song is coming where they are at the forefront. We also have sections in our songs where purposefully I drop behind the three guitar players and allow them to have full run of the front edge of the stage. Dan and Jamesy especially are always moving and we often are banging into each other as I move back and forward from front to back. Im sorry but I respect your view that you see me as the weak link perhaps because you dont like my singing etc but your views on my frontman persona are ill founded and cant see any basis on fact. I dont intend on hogging the limelight whatsoever and enjoy it when the crowd cheer when dan solos or they scream a line of jamesys. I care about the bands performance as a whole and thats why I try to entertain as best I can.

Frosty Jack. I was pretty happy with your post and again, really appreciate you accepting jamesys offer of coming along for free. I do fail to understand how you cant see that Im really feeling what im singing because thats something that the majority of people have complimented me onthe passion I do put in. Im also a bit bored of people attacking the mic swinging thingAgain, how can that grate on you? I find that quite ridiculous to be perfectly honest.

I might be off the mark here but I feel that yourself and Stuart (Jester) dont really understand the style of frontman I am and not being into the genre we come from and are influenced by, thats totally understandable.

Anyway. As I said, thanks for your views. I just felt the need to pick you both up on points within your views that, to me, are really rather petty.

Ben[/quote']

People's opnions shouldnt be petty they're people's opinions on what is wrong with the performance, no-one does a perfect performance and its not like anyone was actually completely slagging off the band. If you're bored of people slagging off the mic swinging thing, then maybe its time to stop swinging it as it sounds like its annoying a lot of people. As for not understanding what kind of frontman you're trying to be, i've been lucky enough to see a lot of really great frontmen live and even if I've hated the music, a really good frontman can draw you in, thats part of why its so important. You are right that its not my sort of music, but I really liked Stayover who are also not my kind of band in any way shape or form.

I can only judge on the one performance that I've seen you play but on that performance you didn't really run back and let anyone else have the stage, that may not be how it is all the time. Maybe people have complimented you on your frontman skills and passion, but because they're saying good things and Frosty and I are saying things you disagree with doesn't make what they're saying right and us wrong.

Frosty and I have probably seen a lot more really powerfull frontmen in general than a lot of your fans going by the average age of the fans on Monday. Maybe we're just too old to appreciate the MMw style of frontman. Maybe you're right and we're missing the point or not just getting it, but all we're doing is commenting on a show which on thw whole we enjoyed, I'm still not convinced MMw are the next big thing but what I can see why people might think so, and was offering comments based on that.

Cheers

Stuart

Frosty Jack. I was pretty happy with your post and again' date=' really appreciate you accepting jamesys offer of coming along for free. I do fail to understand how you cant see that Im really feeling what im singing because thats something that the majority of people have complimented me onthe passion I do put in. Im also a bit bored of people attacking the mic swinging thingAgain, how can that grate on you? I find that quite ridiculous to be perfectly honest.

Ben[/quote']

the style of frontman you are seems based entirely on other frontmens moves, but not as well done.the best type of 'frontman' is surely the ones with the balls to do it how they feel it, not how they think they should do it so it looks like they are feeling it.just a casual observation based on the two times i've seen you boys play.

anyways, everyone knows mic swinging is gay as fuck unless its intentionally to hit people.

Guest Zeenat Aman
the style of frontman you are seems based entirely on other frontmens moves' date=' but not as well done.the best type of 'frontman' is surely the ones with the balls to do it how they feel it, not how they think they should do it so it looks like they are feeling it.just a casual observation based on the two times i've seen you boys play.

anyways, everyone knows mic swinging is gay as fuck unless its intentionally to hit people.[/quote']

"No way dude!"

natefinch4.JPG

i have never had anything smart to say. i also dont "give all these little kids abuse". i just used 5fd and my downfall as two examples of bands who are not in the same calibre as my mate whatshisname.

of course the main thing is trying (if thats what you want to achieve) i never said it wasnt.

where was i having a go at a 16 year old?i generally rant. look again. wrong again.

the music industry is full of tossers like you' date=' me, fat cat phil from xxxx records, smarmy coke faced pr tosser from xxxx, dickhead promoter from xxxx.

i am quite happy being in a hobby band thank you very much (not that i have the talent to "go anywhere"). i have a pretty good job with a solid career ahead of me, music is important but i like money more.

i think for a band who have yet to play a gig i think we are doing alright on the ability to get shows, so i do not see what point you are making there, other than the fact that these are substandard venues. you try booking a tour for three out of town bands with a month and a bits notice. you will be ignored by the likes of bannermans, king tuts and the likes

i aint on any horses either :nono:[/quote']

haha its amazing how different your posting now compared to earlier.