aberdeen-music

Nintendo D.S.

Skull Commander

Nintendo have announced ther D.S. is to be released in Britain on the 11th of March for 99.

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/news/article.do?elementId=XFMrx_iGHnM_Qvjt6j4Fp7OQDDhR1EmB

Through this site, you can also order a limited edition pack, but only if you are a member of the nintendo vip club and have 1000 points or over. There are only 3000 of these and are going fast.

Iv played the D.S. but not the psp. I was underwhelmed my the D.S., but have decided to buy one thanks to a nice price point, backwards compatibility, lots of software support, and a new instalment of Wario Ware!

The PSP screen looks amazing, but the main hurdle for it to overcome will be the glut of generic games being developed for it, and shoddy ps2 ports, and a supposedly poor battery life.

Only time will tell.........

i like how the psp's battery life is so bad they've released a battery on a wrist strap as a back up. how crap is that?

the ds just looks more inventive. the psp will just be so generic and dull(like the ps2) and once the appeal of gta on the go wears off there'll be little left. whereas the ds with it's dual screen touchscreen microphone and wireless gameplay(in different rooms apparently) will rule supreme and it's backwards compatible so zelda will still work. and you get pictochat with it which looks like fun. and it's cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jake Wifebeater
The bad news is that the psp has been delayed because sony does not have enough stock for the american launch. It is now going to be launched in europe may at the earliest' date=' and september at the latest.[/quote']

Never mind this new-fangled stuff and concern yourself with getting me my Streets of Rage 3!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I'm on the case' date=' but on holiday for a few days. I shall see if any fruits have come of my labour next thursday, oh impatiant one![/quote']

You've no idea how badly I NEED this game.

I played a PSP yesterday and no way would i consider getting a DS, the machine is so versatile it's unreal. The samsung screen is absolutely amazing, and the capabilities of the device are just amazing. Stores music, pictures, USB2, different ranges of memory cards, and in the future there will be ones that pick up digital tv and have mobile phone and camera technology incorporated into the design. Pitty it costs almost twice as much as a DS. All that was from the solid gold man though

Here's the official specs..

UMD(Universal Media Disc)

60mm

Laser Diode:660nm

Dual Layer :1.8GB

Transfer Rate:11Mbps

Shock Proof

Secure ROM by AES

Unique Disc ID

PSP CPU CORE

MIPS R4000 32bit Core

128bit Bus

1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V

Main Memory :8MB(eDRAM)

Bus Bandwidth :2.6GB/sec

I-Cache, D-Cache

FPU, VFPU (Vector Unit) @ 2.6GFlops

3D-CG Extended Instructions

PSP Media Engine

MIPS R4000 32bit Core

128bit Bus

1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V

Sub Memory:2MB(eDRAM) @ 2.6GB/sec

I-Cache, D-Cache

90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core 1

3D Curved Surface + 3D Polygon

Compressed Texture

Hardware Clipping, Morphing, Bone( 8 )

Hardware Tessellator

Bezier, B-Spline(NURBS)

ex 4x4, 16x16, 64x64 sub-division

PSP Graphics Core 2

'Rendering Engine' + 'Surface Engine'

256bit Bus, 1-166 MHz @ 1.2V

VRAM :2MB(eDRAM)

Bus Bandwidth :5.3GB/sec

Pixel Fill Rate :664 M pixels/sec

max 33 M polygon /sec(T&L)

24bit Full Color:RGBA

PSP Sound Core: VME

Reconfigurable DSPs

128bit Bus

166MHz @1.2V

5 Giga Operations /sec

CODEC

3D Sound, Multi-Channel

Synthesizer, Effecter, etc

AVC Decoder

AVC(H.264) Decoder

Main Profile

Baseline Profile

@Level1,Level2,Level3

2Hours(High Quality) - DVD movie

4Hours(Standard Quality) - CS Digital

I/O

USB 2.0

Memory Stick

Extension Port(reserved)

Stereo Head phone Out

Communication

Wireless LAN (i802.11)

IrDA

USB 2.0

yea but the games will suck balls compared to the ds.

in project rub you can blow into the ds' inbuilt microphone to blow a wee boat across the two screens. the harder you blow the faster it goes. the psp is just gonna be great for yuppy types who want to show off gran turismo on it while listening to their dido mp3's(for the hour that the battery will last while doing this) but the nintendo ds will have the games and the skills to blow it away. also a number of psp's had to be recalled because the square button kept jamming. just think of zelda with touchscreen and voice recognition. it'll be mental good!

word.

Ive had my ds for a few days now, id say its absolutely awesome!

The game i got with it was spiderman-2, pretty generic side scrolling beat em up making next too no use of the ds touch screen, although it does show off how well the ds can handle 3D, and the sound quality compared to an gb advance game is highly superior.

But the one thing that has had me glued to the (dual) screen is the demo of metroid prime hunters that came with, thats one unbelievable game right there. I cant believe how quickly i got used to using the thumbstrap and touch screen to aim, its remarkably responsive. And when it is finally released, im sure it will be as great a title as the original metroid prime.

DS owns, full stop.

The psp has a number of issues attached to it, even this early in it's lifespan.

Firstly a number of the units have the problem of not having anything to secure the umd discs in with, so when you tip it upside down the disc falls straight out!

The battery life is dodgy at best. The energy consumption varies depending how often the machine acesses the umd. So although you may get 5 hours if playing a non graphic intense game, if watching a film you will get a reported 2 hours max. Basicaly that fucks up any notion of watching godfather on the go!!

Loading times are also a concern, with all the reviews of the graphicly basic darkstalkers (street fighter with ghoulies), critisising the 20 second waits inbetween fights, as the umd loads in the next one.

Perhaps the sony head honcho summed it up best when he said that most people will play it at home, so battery life is not a concern. In other words the playstaion 2!!!!!

Besides Nintendo never meant the ds to be in direct competition with the psp. the D.S. is meant to be another platform to sit alongside the current generation of machines, with the emphisis on the different way of playing games via the touch screen. The psp will be better technically, but I think the ds will be more succesfull thanks to the good price of it, the overwhelming third party develpoers support, and nintendo's experience in the handheld market.