aberdeen-music

Looking for Bands

MaltMill

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr Blastcap

as far as i can see danny will go far, correct attitude and absolutely brilliant use of the words "fanny" and "bollocks". i went to the malt mill ages ago, it was superb, pub rock mecca! theres nothing better than having a personality of a belligerant spastic when working with the public.

chin chin.

Guest stuartmaxwell
maxi i hope ur not trying to say that you would be happy putting on ur night at stereo and making a loss?

yup.

as long as i get to help out/see bands i like i am happy.

i usually only spend about 25 promoting a gig though, with sampler cds and posters. it usually brings enough people in to cover the sound engineer, any equipment hire(if), pay the bands a good amount of money, after all people are there for them, not to see me.

i usually buy me and the dj a pint.

as far as i can see danny will go far' date=' correct attitude and absolutely brilliant use of the words "fanny" and "bollocks". i went to the malt mill ages ago, it was superb, pub rock mecca! theres nothing better than having a personality of a belligerant spastic when working with the public.

chin chin.[/quote']

Fucking priceless..... :laughing:

Gigs

Whats the crack with the Malt Mill then? Is it purely cover bands or is it a mixture of original stuff and covers that they want playing there...................or do they not care as long as you have punters in drinking beer?

I had been in contact with Rosemary at the start of last year about a gig but we have now knocked the cover scene on the head for the real stuff baby!

ah the malt mill........I dont think there is much good you can say about that place, appart from its a nice place when inside.

Having delt with dear rosmary on quite a few occasions i can safely say is a pain in the fucking arse, what an old bat she can really be. I have some really bad memories of dealing with her with a few different bands, if i remember one she refused to pay a band any money once because they finished 5 minutes early, so with no money they had to carry all their gear home because they couldnt get a taxi and then she offered them another gig.........hmm twat springs to mind.

The sound in that place is usualy shit as well and yes you did have to pay for use of the P.A last time i was in which was the second half of last year, but its shit so we took our own anyway. But i suppose now drakes is closed we need somewhere else to dump the shit so the malt mill is good with me.

well seein as you think its such a shit hole you wont mind me sayin this...why play there?

And the PA was a little dodgy but they have eventually figured out the niggling technical problems. And recently bought new amps and a new crossover unit.

The main problems are bands dont know how to use the fuckin PA and are too up their own arses to ask for help. And when they do ask for help they just turn around and fuck with it anyway!

The main problems are bands dont know how to use the fuckin PA and are too up their own arses to ask for help. And when they do ask for help they just turn around and fuck with it anyway!

I think thats really unfair....I would guess that the majority of young bands playing on a week night would have little clue about the operation of a PA, most have a hard enough time getting an acceptable sound out of their own guitar amp, there should be someone on hand to get the best out of the PA at set up time so these kids dont have to go cap in hand asking for help.

The last time I had a band in there the sound was frightiningly bad, I did my best to get a sound and was about to give up when I decided to swap round the leads for the bass bins and top boxes.....bingo!!

A good trick would be to set up the crossovers and hide them from the bands.

A good trick would be to set up the crossovers and hide them from the bands.

You will now find a bit of mesh has been placed over the top of the crossover unit so that no-one can fuck with the settings. But people will still happily fuckin twiddle the knobs on the amps which does not affect the sound wot so ever.

The speaker cables were faulty and they have now been replaced which is the fault of the sound company who had been in days previous and said that everything was fine...bastards.

Okay...me and another person have voiced our concerns about the situation of the amps and crossover unit. They are thinking about trying to move them just under the stage out of the way and view. We have also voiced the need for stage monitors with the idea of placing them under the stage with mesh over them as to not take up much needed stage space.

I find usually there is someone on hand to try an help but their not trained engineers and can only do the best to their knowledge of the mixing desk and setup.

Okay...me and another person have voiced our concerns about the situation of the amps and crossover unit. They are thinking about trying to move them just under the stage out of the way and view. We have also voiced the need for stage monitors with the idea of placing them under the stage with mesh over them as to not take up much needed stage space.

I find usually there is someone on hand to try an help but their not trained engineers and can only do the best to their knowledge of the mixing desk and setup.

thats a pretty good idea like.

The under stage monitors idea is fine but I believe unworkable, there are several reasons for it being unpractical......stage monitors are wedge shaped so the sound is directed at the person that requires to hear it, they are never a permanent fixture because bands are all different and can have singing drummers or guitarists who wont be centre stage, another problem you'll encounter is feedback as the mike stand will have to be sited right on top of the speaker.....nae good.

A better alternative would be full range speaker cabinets possibly stand mounted acting as side fill monitors benefiting the entire band, not ideal but better than nothing. You will of course require another power amp (quite large) and a decent graphic eq... :rockon:

I really cant stress enough how important it is to have someone on hand to help and advise on the use of the PA....if you dont then no one benefits from the money invested in the gear.

Y'know...a lot of people moan about the sound in the malt mill. They all say 'oooh crap pa system!!!' without bothering to notice, that theres nothing wrong with the sound at all.

When I've been there its been used for vocals alone and if they dont sound quite right its because some fags gone and scooped the mids on the channel strip again.

The problems on setting up the system which have been voiced here are all completely unnecessary and could be avoided with the smallest effort.

The system should be set up and waiting for the bands to turn it on and play, but if they must set it up themselves a really really cheap and simple solution like a pre-wired patch panel with labels on the sockets and even the cables would not only make setting up the system piss easy but also eliminate the chances of someone blowing it up.

If they had bothered to spend a little bit extra cash they could have bought a pop-up rack case and mount the mixer above the power amps, saving loads of stage space and having everything all pre-wired, eliminating set up time and again, ensuring that everythings wired correctly. It would also be easier to store.

Even using NL4 speaker cable would be really beneficial.

All these things however, you can only blame the sound company Danny(who really needs to calm down) claims they are using. One thing thats not excusable is the unreliable microphone cables, lack of spares, and lack of cable long enough to reach the second microphone without being a hazard.

Overall, someone just didn't care/could be arsed.

I do like the plasma screens and the CCTV camera though. If only they'd pipe the CCTV through to the back room instead of the same room the bands playing in...

Y'know...a lot of people moan about the sound in the malt mill. They all say 'oooh crap pa system!!!' without bothering to notice' date=' that theres nothing wrong with the sound at all.

When I've been there its been used for vocals alone and if they dont sound quite right its because some fags gone and scooped the mids on the channel strip again.

The problems on setting up the system which have been voiced here are all completely unnecessary and could be avoided with the smallest effort.

The system should be set up and waiting for the bands to turn it on and play, but if they must set it up themselves a really really cheap and simple solution like a pre-wired patch panel with labels on the sockets and even the cables would not only make setting up the system piss easy but also eliminate the chances of someone blowing it up.

If they had bothered to spend a little bit extra cash they could have bought a pop-up rack case and mount the mixer above the power amps, saving loads of stage space and having everything all pre-wired, eliminating set up time and again, ensuring that everythings wired correctly. It would also be easier to store.

Even using NL4 speaker cable would be really beneficial.

All these things however, you can only blame the sound company Danny(who really needs to calm down) claims they are using. One thing thats not excusable is the unreliable microphone cables, lack of spares, and lack of cable long enough to reach the second microphone without being a hazard.

Overall, someone just didn't care/could be arsed.

I do like the plasma screens and the CCTV camera though. If only they'd pipe the CCTV through to the back room instead of the same room the bands playing in...[/quote']

Yes but the best PA in the world and all the cable money can buy is good for fuck all if the person twiddling the knobs doesnt have a clue.... :help:

It would save a lot of time and room and reduce the chances of someone blowing up the system. Not very cost effective if someone wires up the thing wrong and burns out an amp or something is it?

Take the situation where the highs and subs were miswired for example. A sensible person would have figured it all out but I've seen some people who would probably just turn the thing up till some of the speakers burned out. And they probably wouldn't stop till they saw the smoke either...

At least they should spend a few quid and get a decent quality/size mic cable for the second microphone so its not cutting out/falling over all the time :(

Their are two new mic stands and i dont see the problem with the mic leads...we have plenty, if you dont ask you dont get. We could do with getting some new Xrl leads like but with the New Kitchen and the brewery's getting greedy again it's hard to find spare revenue.

Having an in-house engineer would be great but we cant afford it so thats knocked on the head. The new plasmas, refurbishment and kitchen have cost alot of money. I think we would benefit majorly with a new set-up but finding the money isn't up to me and after all it's not really that big a place. We are also situated right in the middle if not underneath a residential area and we have to make sure as to not over do our DB rating. anything else?

• 2 weeks later...