aberdeen-music

Looking for Bands

MaltMill

i cant believe that identity havent whored this thread yet...

i made a snorting noise there.

ummm, the first three deadloss gigs were in the maltmill. they banned us after we sawed a tree in half onstage at our xmas gig with eric euan in 1998(?). interestingly, two members of deadloss and a member of clocker wearing boiler suits and gasmasks, and waving glo-sticks for 15 minutes was the support act.

but like i said, we're banned. we're banned from a student venue in edinburgh also, but that's a whole different story.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interestingly' date=' two members of deadloss and a member of clocker wearing boiler suits and gasmasks, and waving glo-sticks for 15 minutes was the support act.

[/quote']

omg... i had completely forgotten about that.... some funny stuff

and if i can be so bold - that was one of your finest performances to date...

as i recall eric euan were the filth (as in very good - the kids are all saying it) that night and i think it may have been the last time they ever graced the malt mill stage also

did you not also jump into the christmas tree bringing it to the floor?

ah happy times...

Guest Neubeatz

Yes,

I too remember DLS "most theatrical" performance!!!, Bri's brow sweating profusely, as he feverishly sawed, Al Zarqawi like at the poor tree,

and the warm growl of approval as he presented the "decapitated" top to the baying crowd :) Excellent stuff!!!:):D:)

Maybe the use of the "f" word in one of the songs prompted the banning, huh?? Imagine that, a band using swear words, how blasphemic!!!

T'was an entertaining evening, even if the tree had "bled" it would still have been good!!!

Also, I thought EE were actually pish that night, they have since improved though, ;)

Best band on said night were in fact Halcion Daze,(but thats another story)lol :)

Back to topic, I have previously made comments on The Malt, I found that it was a covers band venue, playing Northsound 2 type tunes, very safe compliant mainstream stuff,

:(

So it came to me as a bit of a surprise when I did have the pleasure of playing there on a good night, supporting some well known quality performers,:)

There was a good crowd, and that made for a good gig,

The PA was cool, no probs,

The main issue I take with the malt is the pay, 20 for a 3/4 hr set really is awful, considering the effort that one puts into a performance, including composing, rehearsing, driving to, petrol money, roadieing etc, there is a lot of work involved,

If you pay peanuts......

Anyway, nothing personal against any individual,

Just pay the performers and it will be cool, :)

Guest DustyDeviada

Well, i'm assuming that Neubeatz was referring to the time when he kindly jumped in to help out with The Deviadas, Pure Lead and Fiona Keenan after somebody else pulled out at short notice.

In defence of the Malt Mill (somebody has to except Danny, don't they? ;)) we got 80 for two hours, divided equally between 4 acts. We could have played for 2 hours ourselves but past experience tells me that trying to get a decent crowd on a sunday night is murder, hence the 4 acts - if no one turns up then at least there is still a decent number with the performers.

So I think it's swings and roundabouts. Sometimes I've been at the Malt Mill and the place has been completely dead, so they may have struggled to cover the 80, with bar staff to pay and stuff. Other times you couldn't move and they would have been coining it in. I think as Danny has pointed out, if you regularly bring a bigger crowd you will get offered a better (ie weekend0 night with more money. If not, they'll keep you on a sunday at 80 (like us!).

Guest Neubeatz
Well, i'm assuming that Neubeatz was referring to the time when he kindly jumped in to help out with The Deviadas, Pure Lead and Fiona Keenan after somebody else pulled out at short notice.

Dusty, the gig was in fact a pleasure to play, I do see the point you make regarding "no punters", "no take at the bar" :)

For too long venues have relied upon this idea that a band will take punters in with them, Surely it is the successful venues responsibility to either promote, or employ an economic promoter, :)

If the said venue put on overpaid(imho) "clubby bands" on a friday night then thats how they get the reputation of being a "clubby band land bar", and with not enough cash left in the ents budget to pay an original act properly on a sunday night, :(

So Dusty, whilst I'm grateful for the gig supporting you and the gang,:) I have to say that its just a shame that the ents budget in the mm cant meet the national minimum wage standards implemented by the govt the other week, :(

your issue with pay is very wrong.

Danny mate, as already stated, there is nothing personal intended at all, As I say, get the punters through the door the mm is a great venue, but have a look at the news; ;)

minimum wage article

this is an age old arguement - many bands think that its the venues job to get the punters in and many venues think its the job of the bands to get the punters. so whose responsible? well i'd say it should be 50/50 on both parties, some bands dont give a shit about playing to an empty venue (playing the loft with real shocks to three people (48k the other band) was an experience! funny thing is they paid us 70 quid!!!!) but generally you want to play to a crowd...

if only both parties would shift in attitude a bit and realise its everyone's responsibility to try and get punters through the door, maybe we'd see less gigs with just four people (and a dog if ur lucky). some gigs take care of themselves others dont and those are the ones you need to work at. having said that i put on nights that i thought would be well attended and no fucker would turn up!

Guest DustyDeviada
couldnt have put it better myself. Last night was prime example...4ppl watching Scuba (not including bar staff or band)

Ha ha! Dave from The Deviadas is also in Scuba so he will be getting slagged for that.

Oh and Neubeatz, interesting points about the minimum wage, but if you are expecting to get paid the government's minimum wage, then you will of course be declaring all of that income to the Inland Revenue for tax and NI purposes. ;)

Guest Neubeatz

Oh and Neubeatz' date=' interesting points about the minimum wage, but if you are expecting to get paid the government's minimum wage, then you will of course be declaring all of that income to the Inland Revenue for tax and NI purposes. ;)[/quote']

Oh no, I'll have to move to Switzerland :):):)