aberdeen-music

50 Best Scottish Bands of All Time-New Talent

Graeme

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Needles new single ("Dianne") got 2/5 on C4 Teletext on Monday. This time they got compared to Sham 69. Add that to the long list of reviews that completely miss the point.

I'm still chortling about the one that compared them to Neds Atomic Dustbin...

Dominc Diamond's "Weezer meets Franz Ferdinand" comparison is still my favorite.

The Needles new single ("Dianne") got 2/5 on C4 Teletext on Monday. This time they got compared to Sham 69. Add that to the long list of reviews that completely miss the point.

I'm still chortling about the one that compared them to Neds Atomic Dustbin...

Erm, the reviewer can't completely miss the point, a review is a subjective thing, if thats the impression they gave the reviewer then thats what he said. Some people just don't like certain types of music. I've hear lots of reviews that I don't agree with a lot but i doesn't mean that they're wrong.

Cheers

Stuart

Yeah' date=' I understand that, but the reviews the Needles get often fail to cite their real influences and show a remarkable degree of ignorance about what the band are trying to achieve with their music.

One example, from a review a couple of years ago claimed they were jumping on the "The" bands bandwagon, made popular by the Strokes etc and were also cashing in on the White Stripes garage revival. It omitted the fact that the Needles were around before either of those bands.

It's fair to say I'm a lot more familar with the Needles than a reviewer who has a couple of hours to review the thirty-odd singles that arrive at his desk each week, and in their position I would probably make similarly inaccurate comparisons.

It's a family thing. I'm over-sensitive on this issue, I admit.[/quote']

One of the reasons to never take bad reviews too seriously is just that, they don't know the background of the groups and can only judge it on what they hear, if they judge a sound from an up and coming band to be similar to that of an established band then they will assume the up and coming band copied the older, its just the sad thing about the business. As you say, too many reviews not enough background knowledge.

Cheers

Stuart

The Needles will never make a difference to anyones life ever.

The Needles were one of the first local bands myself and my brother ever heard. At the time they helped confirm what I suspected, local music could be as good and refined as the touring acts you pay too much to see.

Anyway I know we're not the only people who have had our faith in local bands affirmed by The Needles over the years so you're completely and utterly wrong. I have various friends who know no local bands at all but they know The Needles.

The Needles were one of the first local bands myself and my brother ever heard. At the time they helped confirm what I suspected' date=' local music could be as good and refined as the touring acts you pay too much to see.

Anyway I know we're not the only people who have had our faith in local bands affirmed by The Needles over the years so you're completely and utterly wrong. I have various friends who know no local bands at all but they know The Needles.[/quote']

Refined? certainly not the right word, directionless racket more like

can someone post up the entire list' date=' I'd be interested to see the other bands in the 50[/quote']

There are fifty Scottish bands?

1. The Needles

2. Le Reno Amps

3. Hookers Green

4. The Proclaimers

5. Big Country

6. Runrig

7. The Shamen

8. Wet Wet Wet

("proper" guesses: Dogs Die In Hot Cars? Franz Ferdinand? Aereogramme? Motormark? Those no-wavey Glaswegian guys with the piano and funny hair colours?)

The Needles were one of the first local bands myself and my brother ever heard. At the time they helped confirm what I suspected' date=' local music could be as good and refined as the touring acts you pay too much to see.

Anyway I know we're not the only people who have had our faith in local bands affirmed by The Needles over the years so you're completely and utterly wrong. I have various friends who know no local bands at all but they know The Needles.[/quote']

What I meant was that there really is no substance to their songs. Lyrically they're just nonsense and musically they are so contrived and unoriginal. They are entertainment not art.