aberdeen-music

considering buying an iPod?

imprinted

Guest onlynik

Atrac is the worst codec ever, take fucking ages to copy stuff to mini disc, much better with my phone, plays mp3 and there's a hack to let it play divx films, battery life is somewhat limited though. Ipods are the walkman's of the new century

Guest Cowboy Dan

The mini iPod uses normal batteries, I'm going for one of those soon.

My iTunes library is currently at 3.54Gb and i don't listen to half of the albums so I would never need 20Gb, that's absurd.

Guest onlynik
The mini iPod uses normal batteries' date=' I'm going for one of those soon.

My iTunes library is currently at 3.54Gb and i don't listen to half of the albums so I would never need 20Gb, that's absurd.[/quote']

I have the same problem, I have about 40 gigs of music, but only rarely listen to more than a couple of the albums. Cant see me ever needing 20 gig player.

That site's peddling *old* information.

I've got one of the 3rd Generation iPods (4th Gen just came out) and I only have to charge it about once a week, sometimes less... and the battery is still going strong after the best part of a year.

Besides, you can replace the battery pretty easily on newer iPods. All it takes is a small flathead screwdriver to pop the back cover off (I took a look inside mine). PC Format magazine had a guide, a couple of issues back. Replacement batteries are available online for around 40.

As for filling it - same problem here! I've got the 20GB model and I've yet to get to half way filled. I had it up to about 8GB, then had a nasty "accidental reformat" incident when I reinstalled iTunes... Currently I'm up to about 6GB.

iPod's are 0% to do with music, and 100% to do with blatant consumerism (and a pre-marketing hype for the iMac "its like you iPod's big gay uncle")...fuck that shit...I just carry my laptop in my rucksack and spin the tunes on that, plus if you get bored you can always fire up unreal or photoshop....as the fat man said "bigger is better!"

.... That iRiver thing does look very nice though ;)

i am currently looking at the mini ipod, for what i want it looks great

someone else was showing me that site, and it is an old one, the origonal ipods had the problem with the batteries, which has been fixed on the newer origonal ipods (they also changed the scroll wheel if i am not mistaken) and on the mini's

i am not sure how easy it would be to replace the battery yourself though, but there are definately other companies that will replace it for you for cheaper than apple (possibly 40-50, but i cant be too sure)

the first thing i would do if/when i get an ipod is ditch the stupid white headphones, they do a great job of showing off to all the cool people that you have an ipod, but unfortunately also tell any would be muggers too...

David