aberdeen-music

MMW interview

Dan G

the interview seemed too self-important and inadvertedly made the person answering the questions descend into levels of self-parody, there seems to be too much posturing going on in the interview and it comes across as needless bravado rather than answering what seems to be basic questions properly and in a mature fashion

better luck next time lads ;)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I haven'rt seen the band' date=' never heard them, I'm certainly not swayed by the opinion of others on them. I am someone with a lot of expierience in the media and I read it with no particluar opinion. My comments were based on how the interview came across. To me it came across like a bunch of 16 year olds playing at being punk stars. I know this isn't true so I didn't see the need for them to try and come across like that. I think if the band had answered the questions without saying 'what the fuck' and stuff then it would have made them look like they were articulate and capable of doing something. As I said before, established bands can get away with this, but in this case it looked, to me as childish and attempt to look cool.

Sorry, not an attack on the band never even heard them i don't think, but an attempt to give constructive criticism.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

A bunch of 16 year old's?

I'm not been picky - but just pointing out that the interview was answered only by Ben who is 26 years of age...

I like the way Ben has talked in the same defensive and equally aggresive manner that he has on the message boards. That really sums him up his inability to have interviews as well as take on negative critisims.

I didn't think that the interview actually had any criticism in itit was filled with "MMw rock!" platitudes' date=' and was very sympathetic towards the band. I do, however, think that Ben's tone didn't reflect particularly well on him; as [b']jester1470 said, it did seem like an attempt to look cool. Also, his punctuation, grammar and general writing style remained Wastelanded, and I think that this is a major impediment to serious credibility, as it appears very immature. It's good to see that the triple-stop phenomenon continues unabated.

It amused me that he felt it necessary to mention his age twice when he could have quite happily done without mentioning it at all, and that he dismissed a (perfectly valid) question about the comparisons the band recieves to other post-hardcore bands with the reply, "I think its because we like to make a bit of effort with our clothes and hair..." It struck me as one of the more, ahem, "interesting" interpretations of the trend.

Jesus Christ. People are still ragging on MMW. Nothing ever changes but the forum skin....

Didn't you used to fight with highroller? I seem to distinctly remember incidents with you two reverting to digital fisticuffs' date=' though I'm too lazy to carry out a search for them.

I don't think offering an opinion on an interview counts as "ragging" the band; I think it counts as offering some advice so that they can improve their performance next time around, whichunless I'm horribly off the beaten trackwould be most useful.

You have to remember that interviews are an excellent way of presenting yourself and gaining new fans; more than one band/group/outfit/what-have-you has gained my interest through interviews. For this reason, I feel it's important to present oneself in the best possible light and answer in an intelligent, literate manner, hipness be damned. Though, having said that, this particular interview wasn't a great forum for intelligent discussion, as, whilst the interviewer's questions were perfectly adequate, they were hardly challenging or well-presented.

It's just I assume that that interview was taken in by e-mail, and since April 2000 was mentioned twice, it seemed probable that it wasn't a typo.

I like your investigative style. Determined, concise and logical. The repetition of "2000" makes a repeat typo unlikely; especially when you consider that, on the numeric keypad, it's hard to aim for three and hit zero, especially twice in a row. (This is entirely discounting the row of numerals above the keyboard itself, as confusing the two characters on that really would be a work of extreme talent.)

I read the interview right through' date=' and it really did make me cringe. But it has taught me a lesson - don't do an interview for an american site, because it really ends up reflecting on your band THAT bad.[/quote']

I agree with this sentiment. Doing an interview for a site is always a bit risky anyway, as they tend not to have a particularly high code of journalistic conduct, if they have one at all.

Jesus' date=' it's only an interview people.

Some of you really need to get your heads out of your asses.

If you don't like them, don't bother replying to the threads huh?[/quote']

I find it most amusing that people will blindly defend MMw by accusing people of blindly attacking them. The pot, the kettle.

Guest stuartmaxwell

god we talk about them more than now than when they used to have a forum on ab-music

all of this attention should be turned to other new bands, like guts on fire of north east scotland, sticklebrick, etc tec

It's an online review by a person who is obviously a great MMW fan. That's all there is to say about it. People are critiquing it like it's a four page review in Kerrang by the goddam editor. The point of these things is to get people to notice your band, and maybe, juuuust maybe, check out your website and tunes. That's it. All the petty pissy crap about dates being wrong... Well, if I could give Karloff greater credibility/exposure/whatever by lying about a fuckin date, i'd do it. Really folks, what does it matter? To be brutally honest, all this verbal garbage does is make everyone look like jilted high-school dates. People mike think they're sticking the boot in or helping keep MMW firmly within the boundaries of the Aberdeen "scene", but all it does is make you look real childish. Most of you have some ulterior motive for this, and many will no doubt cite Ben's on-line antics as the reason for their incessant negative contributions, but it's all horseshit. I'm not a fan of their stuff, but I can safely say that MMW are one of the few local bands who might actually manage to make something of their show, purely because they are individually and collectively very accomplished musicians, and because they aspire and aim high enough while still being realistic. For a while there, Alyssas' Wish were the band to slate here, now it seems MMW have that mantle. Whoever's "big" locally are the target, and for that reason I'm thankful that Karloff have never been a "scene" band. It's obvious to anyone that it's not about the music, as both MMW and AW before them are talented guys. It's about the local "need" to chop down the biggest tree. How sad... And all the while you all scream blue murder about the mainstream media ignoring Aberdeen and it's local efforts. :laughing:

Guest WalkingOnGlass

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It was an interview, something Ben received in an email and filled in straight off the cuff, no time was spent on thinking of ways to make ourselves look any better/bigger/more important than we actually are. It's just something that someone who really likes and really believes in our band asked us to do for her website in the States. You would've thought by now that we would've learnt to not put anything that involves My Mind's Weapon on view through Aberdeen-Music, but hey, that's our mistake. I still find it pathetic that our friend Sky here is still having a sulk over the fact that he used to have a crush on Ben's girlfriend, and she knocked him back.

Stuart, we'll be playing at Drummonds on the 29th of this month, and we'll be playing Kef as part of the Halloween AUBL show, if you drop me a PM then I'll gladly sport your entrance fee for either of these gigs and you can come watch us for yourself, it's funny that it seems that the people on here that spend every single fucking second awake dreaming about music are the ones that get constantly shot down, without what they have to offer being viewed by the said marksmen.

Without wanting to sound like some arrogant schoolchild, I challenge any of you naysayers to swing by Drummonds, or Kef, on the above dates and just spend 25 minutes of your internet-drained time watching the 5 of us do our thing, at least then you might know what you're talking about.

Maybe that's a little 'emo' for someone who plays guitar and does some vocals in a modern metal band, but hey, a lot of you dont seem to know the difference anyway.

Come see us play, or, please, just leave us alone. A lot has changed in the last 2 months onstage with My Minds Weapon, but it seems that fingers are too glued to keyboards to come and look into what the whole purpose of this website is in the first place. The local music scene.

You're the ones that make the bands that are serious in this city say..

Fuck Aberdeen..

And it is seriously upsetting considering the amount of talent there is on show.

*Note to Sky..Only double dots today.*

Like my alliteration? Cool, now write me a song, you pedantic child.

Guest stuartmaxwell

wouldnt be able to make any of those dates as i live in glasgow now and i am going to see the wonderful death from above on the friday in glasgow and the castlegait show on the saturday afternoon,

give me a shout when you are playing down here and ill pop along and see how things have developed

It was an interview' date=' something Ben received in an email and filled in straight off the cuff, no time was spent on thinking of ways to make ourselves look any better/bigger/more important than we actually are. It's just something that someone who really likes and really believes in our band asked us to do for her website in the States. You would've thought by now that we would've learnt to not put anything that involves My Mind's Weapon on view through Aberdeen-Music, but hey, that's our mistake. I still find it pathetic that our friend Sky here is still having a sulk over the fact that he used to have a crush on Ben's girlfriend, and she knocked him back.

[...']

*Note to Sky..Only double dots today.*

Like my alliteration? Cool, now write me a song, you pedantic child.

I never implied that Ben should spend time making you look "bigger/better/more important" than you are: I offered the advice that slightly more time should have been taken on it, with the aim of appearing more like the adult that he frequently asserts he is, rather than some over-eager teenager.

Should it not have warranted slightly more attention than "off-the-cuff"? I would have thought publicity to be deserving of slightly more attention than that.

I rather fear I am in the trap of never being able to shake this whole highroller, therandomblonde and I thing. Again, for the record, I was not romantically interested in, or attracted to, therandomblonde in any way, shape or form. As I have asserted frequently, I am not interested in pursuing girls who are four years my junior, and I doubt that I will be for quite some time. (Perhaps when I'm thirty and they're twenty-six, but twenty and sixteen? No thanks.)

But, that said, it's much easier to view that as my raison d'etre. I doubt you'll believe me, as, understandably, Ben's word carries more weight. If you really want to find out who I have a grudge against, and why, come speak to me some time. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. (Big clue: It isn't Ben. He doesn't appear anywhere on my grudge list, perhaps because I have no grudge against him. Another big clue: It has nothing to do with Ben's girlfriend.)

As for the song, it's called "My Mind's Weapon Made Me Cry And This Is My Revenge (Especially For The Double Dots, Oh And That Girl I'm Supposed To Have Liked), Part One". It's a six-part, emo-metal-hardcore-punk symphony, with myself on vocals, tears, tantrums and wailing. I also supplied the foot stamps, fist shakes and snotty handkerchiefs. Gnashing of teeth and limp-wristed curses are to be supplied by my mother, as no-one else likes me enough to appear on my record. Or, indeed, be seen in the same hemisphere as me.

Guest WalkingOnGlass

But' date=' that said, it's much easier to view that as my [i']raison d'etre. I doubt you'll believe me, as, understandably, Ben's word carries more weight. If you really want to find out who I have a grudge against, and why, come speak to me some time. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. (Big clue: It isn't Ben. He doesn't appear anywhere on my grudge list, perhaps because I have no grudge against him. Another big clue: It has nothing to do with Ben's girlfriend.)

So you have potshots at us as you have a grudge. How mature. Thanks, I'm glad that's settled. I'm behind the bar at Moshulu most nights it's open, I'd be glad to hear about your grudge.

As for the song' date=' it's called "My Mind's Weapon Made Me Cry And This Is My Revenge (Especially For The Double Dots, Oh And That Girl I'm Supposed To Have Liked), Part One". It's a six-part, emo-metal-hardcore-punk symphony, with myself on vocals, tears, tantrums and wailing. I also supplied the foot stamps, fist shakes and snotty handkerchiefs. Gnashing of teeth and limp-wristed curses are to be supplied by my mother, as no-one else likes me enough to appear on my record. Or, indeed, be seen in the same hemisphere as me.[/quote']

And their goes that whole uninformed thing I was talking about.

You may be smart and articulate, but in the end, you have no clue about my band and what we are all about. Now run along and leave us alone.

Guest WalkingOnGlass
Jamesy' date=' interested in another interview? I'm personally not keen on the way that the questions are very generic, I'd be interested in asking a few questions that would give you guys a chance to explain yourselves in a different way to normal, if that makes sense?[/quote']

Of course, go for it.

I didn't think that the interview actually had any criticism in itit was filled with "MMw rock!" platitudes' date=' and was very sympathetic towards the band. I do, however, think that Ben's tone didn't reflect particularly well on him; as [b']jester1470 said, it did seem like an attempt to look cool. Also, his punctuation, grammar and general writing style remained Wastelanded, and I think that this is a major impediment to serious credibility, as it appears very immature. It's good to see that the triple-stop phenomenon continues unabated.

It amused me that he felt it necessary to mention his age twice when he could have quite happily done without mentioning it at all, and that he dismissed a (perfectly valid) question about the comparisons the band recieves to other post-hardcore bands with the reply, "I think its because we like to make a bit of effort with our clothes and hair..." It struck me as one of the more, ahem, "interesting" interpretations of the trend.

Didn't you used to fight with highroller? I seem to distinctly remember incidents with you two reverting to digital fisticuffs, though I'm too lazy to carry out a search for them.

I don't think offering an opinion on an interview counts as "ragging" the band; I think it counts as offering some advice so that they can improve their performance next time around, whichunless I'm horribly off the beaten trackwould be most useful.

You have to remember that interviews are an excellent way of presenting yourself and gaining new fans; more than one band/group/outfit/what-have-you has gained my interest through interviews. For this reason, I feel it's important to present oneself in the best possible light and answer in an intelligent, literate manner, hipness be damned. Though, having said that, this particular interview wasn't a great forum for intelligent discussion, as, whilst the interviewer's questions were perfectly adequate, they were hardly challenging or well-presented.

I like your investigative style. Determined, concise and logical. The repetition of "2000" makes a repeat typo unlikely; especially when you consider that, on the numeric keypad, it's hard to aim for three and hit zero, especially twice in a row. (This is entirely discounting the row of numerals above the keyboard itself, as confusing the two characters on that really would be a work of extreme talent.)

I agree with this sentiment. Doing an interview for a site is always a bit risky anyway, as they tend not to have a particularly high code of journalistic conduct, if they have one at all.

I find it most amusing that people will blindly defend MMw by accusing people of blindly attacking them. The pot, the kettle.

Fuckin hell!!!

You're so far up you're own arse you must be inside out.

So you have potshots at us as you have a grudge. How mature. Thanks' date=' I'm glad that's settled. I'm behind the bar at Moshulu most nights it's open, I'd be glad to hear about your grudge.

And their goes that whole uninformed thing I was talking about.

You may be smart and articulate, but in the end, you have no clue about my band and what we are all about. Now run along and leave us alone.[/quote']

I'm not entirely sure what the first sentence is supposed to mean. I take it that you think I have a grudge against your band, or one member of it, and that's why I take "potshots" at you?

If so, you're wrong; but, as this argument is cyclical and seemingly self-perpetuating (MMw: "You're taking potshots!"; Sky: "They're hardly potshots... More like criticisms." MMw: "Potshots!"; S: "Criticisms!"; MMw: "Potshots!" S: "Criticisms!"; ad infinitum.), I'll just agree to disagree, and I'll run along.

Purely out of academic interest, what does one have to do to become informed about your band? I'm assuming having the EP isn't enough? (I can see what that admission will open me up to, but I'm too tired to attempt to pre-empt the criticism I'll draw.)

I didn't think the interview was that great, but I've seen bands I like do far worse interviews, in fact I'm sure bands I've actually been in have done far worse. It just looks like a bit of good publicity for an Aberdeen band, which is good, and doesn't adversely affect anyone.

I'm sure if MMW become a bigger band Ben et all will have the opportunity to get tips on dealing with the 'media', most celebs do nowadays, so I don't think his prediliction for blabbering on a bit is going to damage them in any way, bar another meaningless 'debate' breaking out on this forum.

So we all agree"..."? My Minds Weapon are dirty little fibbers, Point of Origin are awesome, I am legend, and we're playing with Rooster (UK Singles Chart position #7) on Friday @ Mohsulu.

Glad that's settled.

So we all agree"..."? My Minds Weapon are dirty little fibbers' date=' Point of Origin are awesome, I am legend, and we're playing with Rooster (UK Singles Chart position #7) on Friday @ Mohsulu.

Glad that's settled.[/quote']

:moody::moody::moody:

That is because he typed it relatively quickly during a lunch break. You'd have actually thought the interviewer would have edited spelling mistakes etc.

That bit didn't really amuse me. I am more amused by jokes and humour as opposed to people mentioning their age TWICE (holy shit that's almost a million) in an interview. You must be boring. I bet you wear grey y-fronts and play countdown with a pen and paper.

Didn't you used to fight with highroller? I seem to distinctly remember incidents with you two reverting to digital fisticuffs, though I'm too lazy to carry out a search for them.

yes, lucifer and highroller used to fight regularly, but they are actually friends who know each other very well. No one likes you though so shut up.

Do you now. Well I think it does. I also think you're the sort of person who licks the sperm off his hands after masturbating over the lastest edition of fly-fishing weekly.

You are horribly off the beaten track I'm afraid.

But thank you, I assure you we will take on board this vital advice so as a band we can improve our performance greatly in our next interview.

Well I am very sorry. We will from now wear our best tweed jackets, speak in upper class articulated accents and we will especially disregard our 'hipness'. Maybe that way, intellectuals such as yourself may appreciate such 'outfits' as ourselves.

Ben simply typed '2000' twice because that is when Quik formed and therefore it is a date stuck in his head.

So shove your investigation up your arse Detective.

Oh very risky indeed, I'm sure you would know ALL about that because you seem to know all about everything...

I find you amusing. I think you're a complete tosser and I also believe you are the reason bullies pick on people. Here's what to do with that pot and kettle:

1] Fill them both with water.

2] With stopwatch at the ready, place the pot on the stove and switch the kettle on - make sure you do this at EXACTLY the same time.

3] Now time how long it takes each one to boil and compare the results for your own personal satisfaction and fulfillment.

4] Finally - with the boiling water, pour yourself a nice cup of tea, sit down and reflect on what a complete cunt you really are.

I honestly recommend you re-read your entire post.