aberdeen-music

Motley Fucking Crue Uk Tour!

medichi

middle aged estate agents' date=' bank clerks and stuart you mean. ;)[/quote']

Obviously ;) and lots of other people too :p thing is they're not my most favourite band and I have never seen them live, however compared to a bunch of bad aging rockers who've built a reputation on their drug abuse not their musical talent I'd take that any day.

And as i mentioned earlier most of the original Motley Crue fans will fall into this category now, its just the new trying to be cool kids who won't ;)

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

totally. del' date=' you must have seen a number of battle of the bands entries at drummonds where the most exciting thing the singer did was take his jacket off or remove his hands from his pockets.

and as for the beautiful south vs motley crue, motley would win on attitude, sex appeal, excitement, catchiness, showmanship and ingenuity (flipping the drumkit upside down above the audience while tommy lee continued to play must be one of the most innovative ways to add to the stageshow ever achieved in rock.)[/quote']

hmmm....

attitude? paul heaton has more attitude in his words of wisdom than what motley crue could ever muster up, i suggest you go read some of his lyrics....

excitement? yeah i'll give you that one, there's nothing more exciting than watching wig wearing spandex laden rockers singing about shagging girls and cocaine. but ver south are capable of creating excitement all of their own when they can be arsed (which granted isnt very often and ask stuart for an example not me)

sex appeal? onviously wig wearing spandex wearing rockers turn you on, i'm sure that aforementioned estate agents and bank clerks find the beautiful south sexy. at the end of the day that one is down to personal taste.

inginuity? yeah so they had one innovative highpoint in their stage show thus proving as i suspected that motley crue remain a one trick pony (though maybe in the midst of rock n roll time it had been done before)

hmmm....

attitude? paul heaton has more attitude in his words of wisdom than what motley crue could ever muster up' date=' i suggest you go read some of his lyrics....

excitement? yeah i'll give you that one, there's nothing more exciting than watching wig wearing spandex laden rockers singing about shagging girls and cocaine. but ver south are capable of creating excitement all of their own when they can be arsed (which granted isnt very often and ask stuart for an example not me)

sex appeal? onviously wig wearing spandex wearing rockers turn you on, i'm sure that aforementioned estate agents and bank clerks find the beautiful south sexy. at the end of the day that one is down to personal taste.

inginuity? yeah so they had one innovative highpoint in their stage show thus proving as i suspected that motley crue remain a one trick pony (though maybe in the midst of rock n roll time it had been done before)[/quote']

no, that was just one example of their fucking kick ass stageshows. and the crue had sex appeal and still do to this day, well at least in the case of nikki and tommy. keep in mind that in the 80s almost every rock band wore spandex and had poodle perms. that was what was sexy, just like bad fringes and cardigans seem to be sexy today. you can bet your ass the crue saw way more action between the sheets than the beautful south did. and i'm pretty sure it was just mick mars that wore the wig.

I wouldn't say I'm a South fan by any means, but to be fair to them one of the most amazing performances I've seen anyone come up with was at some charity gig they did. There were a few gospel choirs etc being all earnest and then Heaton tipped up, anorak on, scrap of paper in hand. Cursory weak applause from the crowd. He put down his mug of tea, and proceeded to blow everyone away with consummate ease. Dunno what the song was, but it was total spinetingling, soaring stuff. Then he just grinned, and shambled off again. Place went nuts.

no' date=' that was just one example of their fucking kick ass stageshows. and the crue had sex appeal and still do to this day, well at least in the case of nikki and tommy. keep in mind that in the 80s almost every rock band wore spandex and had poodle perms. that was what was sexy, just like bad fringes and cardigans seem to be sexy today. you can bet your ass the crue saw way more action between the sheets than the beautful south did. and i'm pretty sure it was just mick mars that wore the wig.[/quote']

Isn't that the point that the music of the beautiiful south is about a lot more than just having sex and doing drugs its stuff thats pertinent to most people's real lives and not the adolescent fantasies that Motley Crue pander too.

I have no problem with the fact they looked stupid then, for God'd sake I'm a Marillion fan

Fish5.jpg

My problem is with the glamourised lifestyle that has made them more famous than any musical talent.

Cheers

Stuart

no' date=' that was just one example of their fucking kick ass stageshows. and the crue had sex appeal and still do to this day, well at least in the case of nikki and tommy. keep in mind that in the 80s almost every rock band wore spandex and had poodle perms. that was what was sexy, just like bad fringes and cardigans seem to be sexy today. you can bet your ass the crue saw way more action between the sheets than the beautful south did. and i'm pretty sure it was just mick mars that wore the wig.[/quote']

aye sex appeal in your opinion which is fair enough, yes a lot of bands in the 80's did wear spandex and have poodle hair but is there any place for it in 2004? i would imagine that motley crue will parade their flabby 40 something asses still wearing the same gear as that was part of the pantomime. i'm not disputing that they didnt need wigs in their day but i bet they need them now.

and by saying that motley crue have had more action between the sheets (though for someone who is very inadequately qualified to comment on the actions of the beautiful south how would you know?) just reillustrates the point that motley crue were more famous for their extra curricular 'activities' than the music they created. and yes mel i know your being ironic as i said before go read some of paul heaton's lyrics to find real irony.

now this is getting back to the age old arguement of rock stars vs musicians. the crue were rock stars and i have no problem admitting that a lot of their fame is from their actions and attitude, but then again, whose isn't?

but del, you're labelling the crue as being a bunch of washed up has beens still sporting the same look they had in the 80s which is untrue. the hair is shorter, the spandex is gone and like i've said before, at least nikki and tommy look really good now. they're reminiscent of the backyard babies, or, well, my boyfriend.

in any case, they're a fucking great band who i can't wait to see live, especially given that i was about 8 the first time round and thus far too young to go to one of their shows. and i liked them well before i liked the darkness.

i'm definately labelling motley crue as a bunch of washed up has beens, maybe they dont wear the gear anymore but the same old cliched bullshit songs they produced will still be there. and in any case surely the lack of spandex and wigs will disappoint their fans from the first time around given its a huge part of what they're about?

and why did i know the darkness would creep in here? so you liked motley crue before the darkness? so what? ah i get it you dont want to be labelled as someone jumping on the darkness bandwagon! when the darkness second album flops they will be banished into the midsts of time only to resurrect themselves when the mortgage repayments are being failed to me.

you go enjoy them live (and i'm sure you will) your a fan but it doesnt stop my opinion that motley crue remain an awful joke pantomime band with little to offer apart from giving me something to giggle at (hey maybe thats why they put on this earth!)

now this is getting back to the age old arguement of rock stars vs musicians. the crue were rock stars and i have no problem admitting that a lot of their fame is from their actions and attitude' date=' but then again, whose isn't?

but del, you're labelling the crue as being a bunch of washed up has beens still sporting the same look they had in the 80s which is untrue. the hair is shorter, the spandex is gone and like i've said before, at least nikki and tommy look really good now. they're reminiscent of the backyard babies, or, well, my boyfriend.

in any case, they're a fucking great band who i can't wait to see live, especially given that i was about 8 the first time round and thus far too young to go to one of their shows. and i liked them well before i liked the darkness.[/quote']

Its possible to be a rock star and a musician in fact to be a good rock star you'd have to argue that you should be a good musician.I'm sure they're honoured to be compared to the mighty Jonny a go go, in fact I'd agree there are a lot of similarities, not a lot of talent but lots of jumping around. I can think of lots of musicians who have made it on their talent not their actions, the beautiful south, elo and the mighty quo to name but a few. I'm sure you will enjoy it, but to I cant understand why anyone can argue the musical merit of motley crue,entertainment value i'll give you but not talent.

i'm definately labelling motley crue as a bunch of washed up has beens' date=' maybe they dont wear the gear anymore but the same old cliched bullshit songs they produced will still be there. and in any case surely the lack of spandex and wigs will disappoint their fans from the first time around given its a huge part of what they're about?

[/quote']

Doesn't anyone think it'll be a bit cringeworthy seeing a bunch of guys in their 40's singing songs like Smokin' In The Boys Room, and girls, girls, girls.

Seems similar to Rod Stewatrt singing 'Do ya think I'm sexy'

Cheers

Stuart

i'm definately labelling motley crue as a bunch of washed up has beens' date=' maybe they dont wear the gear anymore but the same old cliched bullshit songs they produced will still be there. and in any case surely the lack of spandex and wigs will disappoint their fans from the first time around given its a huge part of what they're about?

and why did i know the darkness would creep in here? so you liked motley crue before the darkness? so what? ah i get it you dont want to be labelled as someone jumping on the darkness bandwagon! when the darkness second album flops they will be banished into the midsts of time only to resurrect themselves when the mortgage repayments are being failed to me.

you go enjoy them live (and i'm sure you will) your a fan but it doesnt stop my opinion that motley crue remain an awful joke pantomime band with little to offer apart from giving me something to giggle at (hey maybe thats why they put on this earth!)[/quote']

no, the darkness crept in their in response to something you said earlier about the darkness being responsible for the motley crue reunion. in any case, the reunion tour has been in the works a long time. and yeah there will be a lot of money involved, although it's not like they really need it judging by the size of tommy lee's house.

Its possible to be a rock star and a musician in fact to be a good rock star you'd have to argue that you should be a good musician.I'm sure they're honoured to be compared to the mighty Jonny a go go' date=' in fact I'd agree there are a lot of similarities, not a lot of talent but lots of jumping around. I can think of lots of musicians who have made it on their talent not their actions, the beautiful south, elo and the mighty quo to name but a few. I'm sure you will enjoy it, but to I cant understand why anyone can argue the musical merit of motley crue,entertainment value i'll give you but not talent.[/quote']

i only compared them to chris as a way of letting del know just the look they're going for now, although i think it's pretty sad you'd take to insulting chris' musical talent as a way of getting to me for likeing motley crue.

the thing is guys, if you're gonna have a go at me for liking motley and try and bring in examples of other bands who are better, you could bring in far less MOR bands that yer dad likes to back up your arguments. it would certainly do a better job of convincing me than you have done thus far.

Guest onlynik
Doesn't anyone think it'll be a bit cringeworthy seeing a bunch of guys in their 40's singing songs like Smokin' In The Boys Room' date=' and girls, girls, girls.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Not really, I saw Skid Row last year and they totally rocked, OK they had a different singer and drummer, but they released a new album, which I thought was rather good.. Bear in mind that I have enjoyed good rock from the late eithies to now. I still enjoy good old fashioned rock, fucksake I really enjoy listening to Warrant. I must say I'm not the greatest Crue fan, but I'd like to see them live, I saw the Sex Pistols in 96 for exactly the same reason, to see what the show was like. I'm a great fan of live shows and watching a good performance, there is nothing worse that a band who look like they hate each other and don't really want to be out there playing.

Doesn't anyone think it'll be a bit cringeworthy seeing a bunch of guys in their 40's singing songs like Smokin' In The Boys Room' date=' and girls, girls, girls.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

well considering smokin in the boys room is an old blues song i don't think it's cringeworthy that they'll be singing it. and there's a big difference between guys who probably still visit the strip clubs they sing about in girls girls girls singing about it, and a guy in his seventies still thinking he's sexy when he never was in the first place.

well considering smokin in the boys room is an old blues song i don't think it's cringeworthy that they'll be singing it. and there's a big difference between guys who probably still visit the strip clubs they sing about in girls girls girls singing about it' date=' and a guy in his seventies still thinking he's sexy when he never was in the first place.[/quote']

Go Mel! Go Mel! [/jerryspringer]

Fuck all that' date=' when are Faster Pussycat reforming?[/quote']

That would be awesome! Though according to Metal Sludge Taime Down is looking a bit worse for wear these days.

I'll be going to see Motley Crue for sure. Whatever you say about the Beautiful South, they didn't hoist their drummer over the audiences heads and spin him around for fuck's sake!

As for innovation/originality/blahblahblah; Nikki Sixx is a fairly renowned song writer in 'the biz', pop stuff mostly, so cetainly not a one trick pony. Admittedly, even as a big Crue fan I'd say the were less than consistent with the quality of their material, but the good songs are ACE.

Got to say this is one of the best threads I've read on here in ages!!! Where else can you hear Motley Crue, Faster Pussycat, Stryper, Marillion, Beautiful South and ELO all in the same thread!! Nice.

For the record, I like the Beautiful South's music, but when push comes to shove I'll be at the Motley Crue gig :bat:

Faster Pussycat!! Going to dig out my albums right now......Brings me back to when I was 17 (feeling 22)!!! hahahah

i only compared them to chris as a way of letting del know just the look they're going for now' date=' although i think it's pretty sad you'd take to insulting chris' musical talent as a way of getting to me for likeing motley crue.

the thing is guys, if you're gonna have a go at me for liking motley and try and bring in examples of other bands who are better, you could bring in far less MOR bands that yer dad likes to back up your arguments. it would certainly do a better job of convincing me than you have done thus far.[/quote']

for i start i'm not having a go at you for liking motley crue, its your business, and ok whilst you (and probably most of their new found fans) will claim to have been into them since 1875 there's no denying that the bewildering popularity of the darkness does have something to do with the youth of today's fixation with spangly spandex laced poodle hair trash metal glam rock.

as for point two on bringing in better bands to back up the arguement. ok - queen, van halen, led zeppelin, guns n roses, def leppard..... need i go on? hell even the mentioned above skid row had more clout than motley crue.

i think the point that in a musical arguement the beautiful south come out of it better than motley crue sums it really. i admire your loyalty, hell i've had to stick up for a fair amount of bands in my time that most people hate - its all part of the fun! thats why music is so ace, there is no right or wrong. :up:

i only compared them to chris as a way of letting del know just the look they're going for now' date=' although i think it's pretty sad you'd take to insulting chris' musical talent as a way of getting to me for likeing motley crue. [/quote']

How can i slag his musical talent if he doesn't have any? ;)

basically the whole arguement comes down to the fact that Motley Crue base their entire reputation on an hedonistic image because it detracts from how terrible their music really is ;)