aberdeen-music

Bench

bitchesbrew

Bench are another one of those bands that people will rave about locally, but do absolutely nothing of note and instead concentrate on being just another fish in the pond that is Aberdeen.

Seriously, how long have bench been on the go now? I remeber their first gig at the old drakes, and yet where exactly have they gone since then?

Move out of the way and let others through is my opinion.

Guest stuartmaxwell

average band, need to sort out their guitar and bass tones, their sound is waaay to muddy, too many effects boards on the guitar and the sound frequencies merge making it particularly weak and yucky sounding

tim also rolls on the floor for no reason

Seriously' date=' how long have bench been on the go now? I remeber their first gig at the old drakes, and yet where exactly have they gone since then?.[/quote']

We've been on the go since March 2002 (I joined January 2003). Where have we meant to of gone? We have played out of Aberdeen a few times but it can be a bit hard for us to play out of town since we all work or are at Uni. We have moved on alot musically though and now have an album on sale. Its not like we have just been playing the same songs for the past 2 and a bit years.

Move out of the way and let others through

Guest Cowboy Dan
Bench are another one of those bands that people will rave about locally' date=' but do absolutely nothing of note and instead concentrate on being just another fish in the pond that is Aberdeen.

Seriously, how long have bench been on the go now? I remeber their first gig at the old drakes, and yet where exactly have they gone since then?

Move out of the way and let others through is my opinion.[/quote']

What the fuck!? What a load of shit.

Why should bands "go anywhere"? Did it ever cross your mind that maybe Bench are just happy playing a few gigs here and there, because they enjoy it? Surprisingly enough not everyone plays music in an attempt to hit the big time or be famous or whatever other tripe you view as "going somewhere". You have no idea how angry your shite comment has made me.

Fuck off Cloud is my opinion.

Guest stuartmaxwell
What the fuck!? What a load of shit.

Why should bands "go anywhere"? Did it ever cross your mind that maybe Bench are just happy playing a few gigs here and there' date=' because they enjoy it? Surprisingly enough not everyone plays music in an attempt to hit the big time or be famous or whatever other tripe you view as "going somewhere". You have no idea how angry your shite comment has made me.

Fuck off Cloud is my opinion.[/quote']

i completely agree

apart from the fuck off bit, i have never met the guy

Guest stuartmaxwell
can i say fuck off maxwell?

since we've met and know each other!

but i too agree with above statement....

hell yeah fuck off *smell*boy

i remember meeting you many times, it was like the death of me or something like that....everytime you talk you send lasers through my eyes, burny burny

urgh

Thing is, is it healthy for bands to just be playing a few gigs locally here and there? I'm no expert on the music scene here, but if people keep seeing the names popping up, then surely the scene will slowly degenerate? I can think of a few bands who get the "for fucks sake, they're playing far too much, i'm sick of them" treatment. Fair enough, Bench aren't one of those bands though - they just seem to play sporadically here and there, but never anywhere else. Maybe what I was trying to say is that there's wasted potential there - but if they're happy playing support slots to bands in the Lemon Tree/Drummonds, then so be it.

Bench do strike me as being decidedly average despite the talent of Tim and Graham (Granite, anyone? that was a band who struck me as being ace) - but hey, instead of sitting on here criticising, I'll go see them again and revaluate what I'm saying. Who knows, I might suddenly love them :p

*opens can of worms*

Actually, this has made me realise something...who *is* the next big thing Aberdeen-wise?

Chris (Bench drummer) is a mate of mine, so I first went along to Bench gigs as a bit of support for him, but I thought they were so good and different that I started taking my mates along. I bought the album they made, and I found an early demo of their stuff in the CD drive of my computer at college so that'll end up on Ebay when they hit the big time! :up:

This has to be the Bash Street Kids. Their ace! I first saw them at the ABC Bowl in 1921. They are going places!!! And the drummer isn't a twat! :up:

Bandwagon jumper. I was a fan way before anyone else knew them. I remember they had to stop playing between 1914-18, as a couple of them went off to the Great War, but they bounced back better than ever, despite the missing limbs. I've still got their demo wax cylinder "I've thrown in an extra sausage, Mrs Clapperton".

But this is definitely their time, big things just around the corner...

i saw them at their first gig ever at the old drakes with the old lineup of Tim, Ashley, Chris and Pete. They sounded like a muse tribute band. That was a few years ago and to be honest i had forgotten about them. i have known the drummer Chris since we were 5 years old and he got me to come along to a gig at the lemon tree a few weeks ago and i was stunned at how much better these guys were. im buying a copy of the album off Chris next time i see him

'Mon the bench

• 1 month later...

Wow. I've just come across this page. And there was me thinking for a while people didn't give constructive criticism on these websites... but this was a nice change from the all usual "bench suck ass!" posts etc. I know a lot of people who won't understand what we do and why.

At the moment the band isn't no1 proirity for me esp. I'm doing a film making masters in dundee right now. We've just finished an album and for me that is a great achievement alone. I'm not saying I'm against getting signed and going for the big time. It's just not no1 Priority.

I think there needs to be more contructive stuff like this. It's better to hear peopel like stuart maxwell tell you that "guitar tones are muddy" etc than some one say you blow goats or something like that.

And as a shameless plug the album "Things We Long Forgot" is in 1 UP. If you want it go get it, it's 5 for 45 mins of music.