aberdeen-music

Biffy Almost Sold Out

Ross

Guest Gladstone
I dunno, it just seems a little weird to me that there's a line drawn between participation in a TV programme, one side being 'fine', the other 'moronic'. I mean, sure, getting a tattoo of Wagner on your buttocks is probably participating a little too far, but you get my drift!

Would you say getting a tattoo of Wagner on your arse is "stupid"?

How about getting a tattoo with your favourite footy team's badge on your arse (or anywhere on your body)?

Stupid?

Wherever you draw the line, you are still drawing the line and branding some people "stupid" (that is if you think it's stupid to get the tattoo done!).

I'm finding your defence of X Factor and your slating of "elitism" pretty hilarious to be honest dude. I'm sure if I trolled back through this site I would find far more "elitist" comments made by you than by me.

Considering I've been using this website since I was a teenager, I don't doubt that. However, I'd like to think that I'm 100% 'over' thinking that something entirely subjective can actually be 'better' or 'more important'.

Perhaps I am being a bit snobby about X Factor, but I can do that if I fucking want to. I think X Factor is pretty shit, but it's quite funny at the same time. It's one big fucking soap opera.

There's no need to get aggressive, really - you're obviously 'allowed' to be snobby about whatever, but others are also allowed to question that, y'know? :) And yes! It is a soap opera, that's part of why I enjoy it so much.

Yes, I think people getting worked up watching sport are idiots too - that includes me. I get worked up watching football all the time, but it's pretty stupid to do so when you really think about it.

I don't know about that, it's kind of important to have something to vent at. Rather that than going postal at work.

I'm not saying it makes any of these people bad people, it's just MY OPINION. They probably think I'm stupid for wasting time, money and effort having ever put on a gig with bands that nobody's ever heard of, which is frustrating, but it's their opinion and they are entitled to it.

Again, nobody said you weren't entitled to an opinion. To 'their' credit, I often find that people who don't really know a lot about 'alternative' music scenes are generally really interested in how things work, etc - much more so than the other way round!

Can't be bothered with all the quoting and unquoting boxes / message too short as result.

Would you say getting a tattoo of Wagner on your arse is "stupid"?

How about getting a tattoo with your favourite footy team's badge on your arse (or anywhere on your body)?

Stupid?

Wherever you draw the line, you are still drawing the line and branding some people "stupid" (that is if you think it's stupid to get the tattoo done!).

I wouldn't - and didn't, so no idea where this quasi-argument has arisen from - say it's 'stupid'. I used it as a flippant example (c'mon! A tattoo of Wagner on YOUR ARSE is hardly a serious point, y'know?) to illustrate what some might see as getting unhealthily obsessed with a particular thing (not being stupid, again). I could have as easily said 'doing a Mark Chapman on Wager is maybe participating a little too far'.

(also there's a HUGE difference between 'stupid people' and 'doing something stupid').

o_O

What if you like the song?

Then we're back to that argument about the elitists thinking x-factor fans have gash taste in music...

I admit I'm being a bit cynical and my opinion could be better worded. How's this:

I think that the x-factor is a fantastic piece of entertainment, but the music it spawns to me is tantamount to the smurfs albums. It's novelty cover versions which should be a bit of fun and nothing more. Buy it if you wish, they are your hard earned pennies and consequently your fucking business...

I don't want to start the whole 'music is art, art should be respected' debate... That said, I do find it saddening that while cd sales are declining due to piracy, the amount of money the x-factor takes in is going nowhere but up... Targetting kids who are too young to use torrents has it's advantages I suppose!

xx

I think that the x-factor is a fantastic piece of entertainment, but the music it spawns to me is tantamount to the smurfs albums. It's novelty cover versions which should be a bit of fun and nothing more.

At what point does the artist gain respect in their own right, then?

Fair enough, the 'X-Factor Single' is always going to be a cover with appropriate 'journey' in the lyrics and modulation in the arrangement but the likes of Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke have done very well for themselves off the back of X-Factor wins and are established artists in their own right (and exceptional singers also).

Then we're back to that argument about the elitists thinking x-factor fans have gash taste in music...

I admit I'm being a bit cynical and my opinion could be better worded. How's this:

I think that the x-factor is a fantastic piece of entertainment, but the music it spawns to me is tantamount to the smurfs albums. It's novelty cover versions which should be a bit of fun and nothing more. Buy it if you wish, they are your hard earned pennies and consequently your fucking business...

I don't want to start the whole 'music is art, art should be respected' debate... That said, I do find it saddening that while cd sales are declining due to piracy, the amount of money the x-factor takes in is going nowhere but up... Targetting kids who are too young to use torrents has it's advantages I suppose!

xx

It'd actually be interesting to see how piracy would affect The X Factor - it's kinda bulletproof from leaking considering that the release is announced on the Sunday and in shops that same week!

Guest Gladstone

RF Scott - we appear to be going round in circles...

My main point is that there are stupid people in this country. I don't give a shit if that sounds snobby/elitist or not.

X Factor taps into the stupidity of these people - I never once said that all people who watch X Factor are stupid, far from it.

Despite the sweariness of some of my posts, I wasn't getting aggressive about it - that would be pretty hypocritical of me - I'm not getting worked up about this at all, I just find it funny how staunchly you're defending the whole thing, given some of the comments I've read from you over the past couple of years (not since you first started posted, just the last couple of years). I could troll the comments, but I'm not going to.

And, yes - people are entirely free to question the merits of my arguments/opinions, but I'm not going to change my mind that there are a lot of stupid people in this country. And I don't mean they are stupid because they watch X Factor or having a particular taste in music makes you stupid. They are just stupid. Full stop.

RF Scott - we appear to be going round in circles...

My main point is that there are stupid people in this country. I don't give a shit if that sounds snobby/elitist or not.

X Factor taps into the stupidity of these people - I never once said that all people who watch X Factor are stupid, far from it.

Despite the sweariness of some of my posts, I wasn't getting aggressive about it - that would be pretty hypocritical of me - I'm not getting worked up about this at all, I just find it funny how staunchly you're defending the whole thing, given some of the comments I've read from you over the past couple of years (not since you first started posted, just the last couple of years). I could troll the comments, but I'm not going to.

And, yes - people are entirely free to question the merits of my arguments/opinions, but I'm not going to change my mind that there are a lot of stupid people in this country. And I don't mean they are stupid because they watch X Factor or having a particular taste in music makes you stupid. They are just stupid. Full stop.

To be fair, it was you that resurrected the thing about stupidity. There are obviously stupid people in this country (otherwise there wouldn't be smart people...), I'm just of the opinion that linking that in with something like the X Factor is at best presumptious. Not too keen on the personal angle that's come about on this, but I would say that 'flippancy' should be considered when reading a lot of posts on messageboards as a whole, not just my posts. Another thing to consider...people's opinions change! 8o Anyway, Merry Xmas.

At what point does the artist gain respect in their own right, then?

Fair enough, the 'X-Factor Single' is always going to be a cover with appropriate 'journey' in the lyrics and modulation in the arrangement but the likes of Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke have done very well for themselves off the back of X-Factor wins and are established artists in their own right (and exceptional singers also).

If you ask me, they don't. They're good singers, yes - but nothing new, nothing exciting and they are just writing more typical r'n'b diva songs about being in love and / or getting dumped IMO.

That said, you answered your own question - they've done well off the back of it, they've (presumably) written their own songs and maintained a career - if one were to give them artistic credit and credibility (just because I don't doesn't mean I don't think others have the right to) it'd be now. Or at least, after the x-factor buzz dies and if they're still making music...

xx

It is honestly ridiculous what some people get worked up over now. I know folks have touched on it already but i certainly don't remember people getting worked up when their favourite bands were miming on Top Of The Pops when it was on.

I was a bit miffed that I stayed up to watch the re-run of Top of the Pops years ago only to find that Weezer basically just sang over an instrumental version of Hash Pipe. I was also merked that I had a ticket for the gig they cancelled specifically to do Top of the Pops. Luckily, Weezer split up straight after Maladroit was released and never came back, right?

I was a bit miffed that I stayed up to watch the re-run of Top of the Pops years ago only to find that Weezer basically just sang over an instrumental version of Hash Pipe. I was also merked that I had a ticket for the gig they cancelled specifically to do Top of the Pops. Luckily, Weezer split up straight after Maladroit was released and never came back, right?

My favourite Top of the Pops moment was when Papa Roach 'trashed' their "equipment" at the end of a performance. One tap of the DUMMY Guitar cabinet and it went flying into the air like that stupid carrier bag in 'American Beauty'.

Steve Brookstein is the reason why an oldie will never win X Factor again. After sticking out the obligatory covers album out, Brookstein started mumbling about how he was a serious artist and wanted to write his own songs etc. So Cowell told him to fuck off and Brookstein's second album sold about 10 copies. Last I heard he was singing in Pizza Express and on cruise ships.

I have admiration for Cowell as a businessman. People want these half baked covers and to be entertained on the television and he delivers. I don't think Cowell is destroying music, merely giving the public what they want. He's had an awfully long and successful run at this karaoke/rags to riches malarky.

It was good to see him toppled for the xmas number 1 last year but that ex coveted slot means fuck all these days anyway. It really was a big thing when I was growing up.

Steve Brookstein is the reason why an oldie will never win X Factor again. After sticking out the obligatory covers album out, Brookstein started mumbling about how he was a serious artist and wanted to write his own songs etc. So Cowell told him to fuck off and Brookstein's second album sold about 10 copies. Last I heard he was singing in Pizza Express and on cruise ships.

He's playing Cafe Nero in Union Street. One of the great rock venues, up there with Madison Square Gardens & Glastonbury.

X Factors Steve Brookstein to perform in Aberdeens Caffe Nero - Evening Express