aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

The Dons are through to play HNK Rijeka in the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa league.

A team that made the group stages last year, managing to hold Seville to a draw and pumping Feyenoord.

It's going to be a tough challenge.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2015/clubs/club=52356/matches/index.html

Edited by Skacel
  • Upvote 1

We were pretty poor last night. All over the place at the back, defence looked shaky, keeper looked shaky, midfield misplacing passes all over the place. A decent team would have stuck a couple of those chances at the end away. We'll need to step it up in the next round.

We were pretty poor last night. All over the place at the back, defence looked shaky, keeper looked shaky, midfield misplacing passes all over the place. A decent team would have stuck a couple of those chances at the end away. We'll need to step it up in the next round.

I agree that we were far from top form but I couldn't really see us conceding for most of the match - the last 10 minutes were quite tense though. Shinnie was a joy to watch, it looks like he's settled in already.

I agree that we were far from top form but I couldn't really see us conceding for most of the match - the last 10 minutes were quite tense though. Shinnie was a joy to watch, it looks like he's settled in already.

Yeah agreed, but the longer it went on the more nervous I was getting. They started getting some proper chances in the last 10. I could barely watch. Shinnie was the nuts. Looks a great addition.

Schweinsteiger to United, done. Mental. Bayern fans are pissed they've lost Kroos and Schweinseteiger in the space of 12 months. There were boos at the Bayern presentation earlier today. They want Pep gone. I don't know if it was ultimately his decision.

Weird move though. 3 years too late, IMO. Schneiderlin would have been a better option, given his age and how good he has been the last two years. Unless they're planning on getting both, which they should.

And Newcastle have bought Wijnaldum, with like, actual money and stuff. I don't know much about him, but he appears to be very highly rated from what I have read. Captained PSV to their title win last season. He and Memphis Depay were their two stand-out performers apparently. Pretty solid goal scoring record from central midfield.

Just read he was the Eriedivisie player of the year as well, ahead of Memphis Depay. Scored 18 goals from midfield. Some Dutch football boffin on Twitter compares him to Arturo Vidal.

I don't think I've seen him play a minute of football (other than at the World Cup, but I don't remember him) but I'm starting to think he's probably the best player in the world.

Schweinsteiger to United, done. Mental. Bayern fans are pissed they've lost Kroos and Schweinseteiger in the space of 12 months. There were boos at the Bayern presentation earlier today. They want Pep gone. I don't know if it was ultimately his decision.

Weird move though. 3 years too late, IMO. Schneiderlin would have been a better option, given his age and how good he has been the last two years. Unless they're planning on getting both, which they should.

I doubt this is true of more than an extremely small minority.

Good signing for United though. I think he probably has a good few seasons left in the tank. Is Sneiderlin really worth all the effort going into getting him? Genuine question because actually I didn't see that much of Saints last season. How much better is he than Cabaye who went to Palace of all teams?

Edited by Paranoid Android

I doubt this is true of more than an extremely small minority.

Good signing for United though. I think he probably has a good few seasons left in the tank. Is Sneiderlin really worth all the effort going into getting him? Genuine question because actually I didn't see that much of Saints last season. How much better is he than Cabaye who went to Palace of all teams?

It possibly is a minority, but the booing at the Bayern pre-season presentation yesterday was very audible. There's a few Bayern fans who post on a United forum I frequent, and they're pretty pissed at Pep, though as I say, I'm not sure if it was purely a Pep decision to let Schweinsteiger leave, rather than the men above him. They're also worried Muller is going to be out the door this summer as well. I don't think that is likely, but I also didn't think Schweinsteiger would leave either.

I'd say Schneiderlin is better than Cabaye, but they're different players. Schneiderlin is more comparable to Matic, and his best traits are defensive. United are more in need of that sort of player than Cabaye. Schneiderlin has been as good as Matic over the last two seasons, IMO.

Cabaye's also 30 and relatively immobile.

He must be rubbing his hands together at the moment though. He's probably on a good wage and will get to be the big fish in a small pond: there's not a chance Pardew will ever drop him there, so he can basically do anything he wants.

I'm not bitter that one of my favourite Newcastle players of the last few years has gone to play for my least favourite manager of all-time. Nope. Not at all. We've got Colback and he's miles better anyway.