aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

I've come out of Ab-Mus retirement to state that that Roma away kit is fucking mint.  

I quite like the Celtic away kit.  All green shirts are cheating though because you can't see them as well in your peripheral vision.  

I like the Aberdeen away kit, but I can't tell if its blue and black or white and gold.  

I don't think that Liverpool's team is equipped to play a back three.  They have a lot of centre backs, but that's not really the point; they don't have the right wide players.

I think the league will be close between Chelsea, Arsenal and United this season.  City are in their too if Aguero stays fit.  

I also think Aberdeen will do well in Europe but see their league form suffer as a result :-(

Ok, bye.  

• Upvote 2

Stoke have signed Xherdan Shaqiri. Stoke.

If you look at his career backwards, it reads like an unknown entity who broke into the Stoke first team, made a move to Inter MIlan, before making the leap to Bayern Munich and winning the Champions League, then returning to his home country for his twilight years.

Unfortunately, his career isn't happening backwards. He is 23 and has ended up at Stoke.

That's a great signing. He's never quite reached his full potential but as you say he's only 23. A top-half premier league team could be the right place for him. Needs to be adored it seems (as he is when he plays for Switzerland) and maybe not quite willing to put the work in if he's a bit part. Stoke have always seemed to rely on out and out goal scorers, which has mixed results. Peter Crouch is gonna get you 10-12 goals a season but you're effectively playing a man down when he's on the pitch because that's all he does. Arnautavic, Diouf and Bojan haven't really panned out for various reasons. Shaquiri is one of these industruous strikers who plays outside the box, so could work well.

Sky Sports were saying as if it was a done deal. They retracted it a bit later in the day to "fee agreed". Sky are the worst in transfer windows.

I agree about the Europa League. It's just a huge competition. Far too big. Then it gets even more bloated when the Champions League qualifiers losing teams drop into it, and again when the CL 3rd place finishers drop into it. It's hard to take it seriously as a contest. I only ever watch the final.

Sky Sports were saying as if it was a done deal. They retracted it a bit later in the day to "fee agreed". Sky are the worst in transfer windows.

I agree about the Europa League. It's just a huge competition. Far too big. Then it gets even more bloated when the Champions League qualifiers losing teams drop into it, and again when the CL 3rd place finishers drop into it. It's hard to take it seriously as a contest. I only ever watch the final.

Its pretty cool when you're team are in it and that's about it.  

It's got a lot of potential as a tournament but it's pretty much all being wasted. Taking out the group stage is the obvious step to reducing games and there are other changes that could be made too, like holding the games in different weeks to Chanpions League fixtures.

I also like the idea of making it a single match competition not two legs. Home team is decided by luck of the draw like with the domestic cup competitions. That way you only need to win 7 or 8 matches to win it instead of 117 and every match counts. Maybe the semi finals could go back to being two legged ties. That's when people pay attention anyway.

It's got a lot of potential as a tournament but it's pretty much all being wasted. Taking out the group stage is the obvious step to reducing games and there are other changes that could be made too, like holding the games in different weeks to Chanpions League fixtures.

I also like the idea of making it a single match competition not two legs. Home team is decided by luck of the draw like with the domestic cup competitions. That way you only need to win 7 or 8 matches to win it instead of 117 and every match counts. Maybe the semi finals could go back to being two legged ties. That's when people pay attention anyway.

Yeah, sack off the group stages but in my opinion 2 legs would be better for balance. I'd ditch the seeding for the rounds where the big teams come in. I think the early stages need some of the glamour ties that would appear by chance and it would encourage teams to field stronger line-ups.

Wasn't much of a spectacle last night, happy enough with the result, away goal and should see them off at Pittodrie. We didn't look very match sharp but it's still pre-season essentially. I missed Shkendija's goal because the pub I was in decided to switch all the screens over to fucking karaoke with about ten minutes left. By the time I got it switched back on I'd missed the goal. Left pretty quickly after. Don't know why pubs think that deafening punters with tone deaf cocks trying to sing "Paradise City" is a good idea.

Hmm, looked like he was playing his first ever big game (which is probably true). Made a couple of saves, flapped a bit at a couple of crosses and kicked reasonably well.

Nearly made a costly mistake not taking a ball he slid out for at the striker's feet (a good saving tackle from Quinn prevented conceding) but could do nothing for the goal which was a well placed header.

Our centre backs at fault for the goal, if anyone, should have been tighter to the striker although it was too easy to get the cross in. 

I feel far happier with Ward in goals than our other options, but jury's still out until he beds in a bit.