aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

I hope Schteve unleashes Mitrovic on Man United tomorrow. 2 sub appearances, 2 bookings. Guy's a fucking lunatic: I saw some training footage early and he was flying in on Ayoze Perez and Vurnon Anita like prime Lee Cattermole. It's been far too long since we had a proper lunatic in the team.

That was definitely not the game that should have been televised today. Muck, aside from the first 20 minutes. Zero shots on target for Newcastle but hit the bar. 8 shots mostly straight down the middle for United but hit the post.

Why is Mata out wide and Januzaj in the middle? Why is Herrera not playing ever, after proving last season he is dynamite despite being benched for the first 4 months? If neither can be trusted as a #10 with a Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin double pivot behind, then there is no hope. Midfield's don't get much more solid than that. Mata or Herrera flanked by wingers would be great. Instead, it just looks like this:

2mwwapi.png

The back six is solid. The front four is a disjointed mess where nobody but Memphis is actually suited to the position they're in, and there's no link between the two.

Michael Owen though.

"Not a foul for me. That's just two shoulders coming together"

*Shows the replay of feet being trodden on*

Silence.

The worst.

Griezmann is probably in the top 5 strikers in world football right now. He's like early Fernando Torres mixed with Carlos Tevez. Silky as fuck but gets stuck in and is hard to knock over. What is it with Atletico and their ability to produce such good strikers?

He's not an Atletico product. He's 24 and only joined them last summer for 30million. He was at Sociedad for 5 years before that after coming through their academy.

That was definitely not the game that should have been televised today. Muck, aside from the first 20 minutes. Zero shots on target for Newcastle but hit the bar. 8 shots mostly straight down the middle for United but hit the post.

Why is Mata out wide and Januzaj in the middle? Why is Herrera not playing ever, after proving last season he is dynamite despite being benched for the first 4 months? If neither can be trusted as a #10 with a Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin double pivot behind, then there is no hope. Midfield's don't get much more solid than that. Mata or Herrera flanked by wingers would be great. Instead, it just looks like this:

2mwwapi.png

The back six is solid. The front four is a disjointed mess where nobody but Memphis is actually suited to the position they're in, and there's no link between the two.

Michael Owen though.

"Not a foul for me. That's just two shoulders coming together"

*Shows the replay of feet being trodden on*

Silence.

The worst.

Heartening stuff from us. Schteve did a fantastic job of reacting to the first 15-20 minutes and adjusting his tactics to nullify Man United's attack, which had been tearing us to pieces early doors. We genuinely haven't had a manager who makes in-game tactical changes in bloody years. Pardew and Carver just kinda sat back and let things take their course, no matter how good/bad we were doing. 

Pass marks for most of our XI, apart from Colback and Obertan. Horrible footballers. We looked a lot better when we pulled Wijnaldum back into CM, with him and Colback sitting in front of Anita. Coloccini produced his best performance in a long time and I can tell I'm going to absolutely love Mitrovic already.

Pleasing.

From the BBC live text:

0:25 Foul by Aleksandar Mitrovic (Newcastle United).

25 seconds in. Incredible.

It was a cruncher too.  If it was any more than 2 minutes into the game, it's a yellow. No ref is pulling a card out after 25 seconds (thought he did get booked 25 seconds after coming off the bench the other week). He looks great though. His header that hit the bar was monstrous.

Wijnaldum is a great player too. A lot of new players to bed in, but when it clicks, Wijnaldum will be bossing it.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

He's not an Atletico product. He's 24 and only joined them last summer for 30million. He was at Sociedad for 5 years before that after coming through their academy.

Right, not a homegrown product but he's fair 'kicked on' since moving. There's something about the set up at Atletico that just breeds success. Have they ever had a mis-firing striker? He scored twice as many goals for Atletico last season than he did during any of his seasons at Real Sociedad.

Right, not a homegrown product but he's fair 'kicked on' since moving. There's something about the set up at Atletico that just breeds success. Have they ever had a mis-firing striker? He scored twice as many goals for Atletico last season than he did during any of his seasons at Real Sociedad.

Not really he scored 22 in the league last season and he scored 16 in it the season before.  He was a cracking player at Sociedad as well!

Edited by Captain America

I've not seen KDB confirmed anywhere. Klaus Allofs is saying there is still no agreement, according to Sky Sports.

It probably will happen before the window closes, and I think it will give them much better attacking depth than anyone else in the league. I think their defence can be got at though, if anyone can keep the ball off them. The full backs aren't great, and Kompany has decided he's not going to be as shite as he was last season, but he's always capable of a brainfart. Otamendi is a good signing though, if he can hit the ground running.

Champions League Draw:

Group A

PSG, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Malmo.

Group B

PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United, CSKA Moscow, Wolfsburg.

Group C

Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Galatasaray, FC Astana.

Group D

Juventus, Manchester City, Sevilla, Monchengladbach.

Group E

Barcelona, Bayer Leverkusen, Roma, BATE Borisov.

Group F

Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Olympiakos, GNK Dinamo.

Group G

Chelsea, Porto, Dynamo Kiev, Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Group H

Zenit St Petersburg, Valencia, Lyon, Gent.

Ronaldo's reaction, and Messi's reaction to Ronaldo's reaction

11891143_1739534659525392_45894506791007

• 2 weeks later...

We're still in it. Just. 4 points behind the Irish. We've got Poland at home and Gibraltar away. They've got Germany at home and Poland away. I don't see them taking any points from that so 4 points would put us in third on account of head to head results. I'd rather be in our position than theirs. Of course if we scrape in we'll draw fucking Holland in the play off.