aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2015

jester1470

45 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Same. I hate kids. I hoard loads of the best ones, but I don't put much effort into bringing them along. 29 year old superstars are where it's at. I even prefer washed up superstars who still have all the technical ability, but their bodies are garbage. I remember always nabbing Rivaldo as a free agent on FM12 or 13. his technique was stupid, but he pretty much hobbled through games. If you got the ball to his feet, he'd scream it in from 40 yards, but he won't run on to a through ball.

I built an all-conquering domestic and Champion's League winning Arsenal team in FM2010 that featured an aging Owen Hargreaves as anchor. He was one of my first signings, the first name on the teamsheet for years and a club legend, and I didn't have the heart to drop him as he got older. By the end he basically just stood still and kicked anyone who came close enough. Like a bulldog on a rope.

• 3 weeks later...

Piece of piss this Championship thing.

sbc.png

Up at the first time of asking and absolutely walked the league. I think the key to my season has been a settled squad. I normally chop and change the team for every match but I've stuck to the same starting XI, swapping only due to injuries and suspensions or severe loss of form and it's made a huge difference.A good experienced squad too. Completely different to how I usually play. I usually play a really young squad. Tactically I've played 4-5-1 all season, a defined home and away tactic with slight tweaks when required.

Already starting to prepare for the Premier League by signing Joey Barton on a pre contract. Can't wait to start the new season with him and Leon Osman as my midfield paring at a combined age of 67. Barton is going to have to go some to beat the my captain Sam Hutchison's disciplinary record this season. 

sbc2.png

21 yellow cards in 32 matches. That's pretty special.

swbb.png

swbc.png

Edited by Lemonade

• 3 weeks later...

Mad times at Hillsborough. Just finished my second season, got promoted in my first, struggled in bottom 3 in the Prem for most of this season but hit form right at the end and ended up finishing 10th. Pretty much a legend already. The chairman just keeps throwing money at me to buy players. Yorkshire's Real Madrid.

SWSQUAD.png

21 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Congrats on the dropzone-to-midtable escape.

But your #49 squad number for a starting centre forward is the worst thing I have ever seen.

He's a brand new signing and this was taken after the June transfer window opened but before I got to change my squad numbers. I have a very specific numbering convention and my strikers always have to have a 9 at the end and are ordered in preference. 9 for 1st choice, 19 for second choice, 29 for third choice etc. During the season i'd used 4 strikers so that was the next 9 that was available. Rest assured, by the time the new season kicks off he'll be wearing #9. 

I use the same rule for every position, I'm a little sickened that in doing same for fellow new signing Jack Wilshere I gave him a 6 when he's playing in the 8 position. This will also be fixed. 

Nah. A number 6 should always be your hardman nutcase midfielder or at least your deepest midfielder.

11 ----------------- 7

3  --- 4 --- 5 --- 2

The England squad have a habit of giving the #4 to a midfielder. It's sick and wrong.

Edited by Soda van Jerk
  • Upvote 1

I'd still have 6 and 8 as the midfield two in a 4-4-2, and 4 and 5 as the centre backs.  I guess they are slightly interchangeable. Reading in to it, it appears 4 as a midfielder was more British and 6 as a midfielder was more mainland-European. Both the 4 and the 6 were midfielders in the old 2-3-5 formations.

8 -- 9 -- 10
7 ------------------ 11
4 -- 5 -- 6

2 -- 3

We're definitely doing the squad numbers thing again. We don't do it enough. They should have their own thread sub-forum aberdeen-squadnumbers.com

Fine then. Acceptable squad numbers by position:

GK - 1, 13, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60

RB - 2, 4, 12, 18, 20, 24, 28

LB - 3, 5, 6, 15, 17, 18, 20, 22, 27

CB - 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 15, 17, 19, 20, 25, 27

CM - 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 23, 24, 26, 28

LM - 11, 14, 18, 20

RM - 7, 14, 16, 18, 23, 24

FW - 7, 9, 10, 11, 17, 18, 19, 21, 25, 27

• Upvote 1

Going beyond the 1st 11 is big talk. Something I've not considered much before.

Add #25 to your Goalkeeper list. I'm not sure I'm in favour of it, but it's La Liga rules. 1, 13, and 25 for your keeps. No exceptions. La Liga are pretty badass with squad number regulations. Probably why Bentner and Balotelli have steered clear so far. They'd not be having any of their #45 and #52 shite.

I normally have a squad of 23. 

GK - 1, 50

RB - 2, 12

CB- 4, 14

CB - 5, 15

LB - 3, 13

CM - 6, 16

CM - 8, 18

LW -  11, 21

RW - 7, 17

AMC - 10, 20

CF - 9, 19, 29

Any other players who come in either from the reserves or who are signed in January are assigned the next number with the correct last digit. So a third RB will get 22, a fourth would get 32 etc. Keepers get 50, 51, 52 because the LWs are already using the 1s. Shit kids who are brought in to fill a hole in a depleted squad but have no change of a regular spot get numbers 90-99. Until FM16 I used to play on 2D birds eye view where you just see the player icons, and  you could tell who was who from your entire XI even if they were off the ball because the icons all have the player numbers in them.  That's how my system was born. 

• Upvote 1

After I'd secured my top half finish with Sheffield Wednesday I spent my whole drive to work the next morning doing imaginary press interviews. At that point I did start to question if I was maybe playing it a bit too much. 

Edit - in my head. Not out loud. I'm not completely mental. 

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I used to updated my squad numbers every season in order to get a 1-11 in my perceived starting 11, but now I apply a much more lax method.  No player on my books will ever lose his number, unless in my head they want a different number.  Therefore, I might break my club transfer record on a new centre forward, but he still might wear #27 until the number of his, or my, choice is freed up. 

Any of 4, 5 & 6 can be either centre backs or central midfielders.  Stop it. 

I’m just a much more continental and cool manager than the lot of you.