aberdeen-music

Guitars

Laxton's Superb

My cousin is usually credited with the invention of the deep-fried mars bar, at his old chip shop in Stonehaven *swells with pride at the thought of all the future heart attacks caused by said cousin*

Weapons of choice.....

Live I usually use a travel guitar (electro-acoustic) made by Shapelywood of Cardiff, plus recently I gigged my 64 Jazzmaster for the first time. For recording I also use a Japanese Vox bass, and an early 60s Conrad violin bass (my sweetheart!). The good Neil at prosound is currently nursing my Watkins Rapier back to good health (I dropped it down my loft stairs a few years ago), and it should make an appearance live sometime.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cousin is usually credited with the invention of the deep-fried mars bar' date=' at his old chip shop in Stonehaven *swells with pride at the thought of all the future heart attacks caused by said cousin*

Weapons of choice.....

Live I usually use a travel guitar (electro-acoustic) made by Shapelywood of Cardiff, plus recently I gigged my 64 Jazzmaster for the first time. For recording I also use a Japanese Vox bass, and an early 60s Conrad violin bass (my sweetheart!). The good Neil at prosound is currently nursing my Watkins Rapier back to good health (I dropped it down my loft stairs a few years ago), and it should make an appearance live sometime.[/quote']

really? did he used to own the haven then? a fine chippy indeed. he used to give us free pies and stuff just before they shut. we'd nip in from the pub next door just in the nick of time every week.

i own:

a us standard tele(think it was made in mexico) which also happens to be the best playing tele i've played, think i just got lucky.

a squire tele, a piece of shit that i'm going to do up to be an awesome rock beast!

and a twelve string that i bought for 50 off a friend.

i'd love to have a rickenbacker or a travis bean.

really? did he used to own the haven then? a fine chippy indeed. he used to give us free pies and stuff just before they shut. we'd nip in from the pub next door just in the nick of time every week.

Yep...that was my cousin Ingram. he sold it, and now works as a chef in Fraserburgh, I think. He doesn't like to be reminded about it, though!!!

Dave...what time are you on at Drummonds tomorrow?

Just got my Watkins Rapier back from Prosound this am...it looks lovely again, and sounds great in a mentally disturbed kind of way....perfect!

squire strat, first and only guitar as ive only been playing for a year(almost) its not very good to play, i dont like the fret board, i just dont :moody:

and today a deposit of a grand 19 has been put down on a pink Jim Deacon bass. its possibly the loveliest bass ive ever seen! its a copy of a fender prescion and it apperently not a bad bass and i can put a humbucker on it for 75, might do that some time next year. i used to have a red bass for playing at school, it wasnt mine and i cant remember the make, it was shite. i prefered the blue one but i dropped it, it was a peavey something or another :rolleyes:

If I knew Mouse's real identity I would know. I have 2 other cousins in the Mearns area, and one of them has children of late teen age.

Other guitars I have.....

Hofner bass (neck knackered by me landing on it in a drunken stupor c.1980)

Baldwin electric 12-string - very cool, but hard for a wimp like me to play. Cavern Mike wants it!!

2 un-named ancient things (electric) bought cheaply in charity shops in Dundee and Aberdeen. Both look interesting but are awful to play.

If I was a guitar I'd be one of those last two.

atm i have two guitars...

a BC Rich NJ neck thru Assassin

and a Marshall strat copy

i am hopefully going to get a new guitar sometime in the future, i have been looking at the Fender 72 tele custom recently and am waiting on prosound to get in the maple fretboard model to try , as the pickups seem a bit unbalanced (the neck has far too much bass, the bridge has none at all, i was hoping to be abel to use them separately, and not have to be using them both together the whole time, though that does sound beautiful)

David

and today a deposit of a grand 19 has been put down on a pink Jim Deacon bass. its possibly the loveliest bass ive ever seen! its a copy of a fender prescion and it apperently not a bad bass and i can put a humbucker on it for 75' date=' might do that some time next year.[/quote']

ah...connie's got that bass. :)

Guest Cowboy Dan
Forgive me but it can hardly be a U.S. tele if it was made in Mexico' date=' can it, ?[/quote']

I was thinking the same thing... Maybe it was made in Mexico with American parts, but that doesn't make much sense...

I really wish I coud afford a decent guitar....just now I'm scraping by on a mex fender strat which sounds great I think, but has a lot of problems with the bridge and intonation, the shitty tunings I'm using in some new things is fucing the guitar up and makes me sound out of tune all the time. Used to play an epiphone les paul 100 (thinner than a Studio) which was great aswell, despite having "Samsung" pickups, (currently not working)....I've always been complimented on my guitar tones though :D Unfortunately an angry girlfriend smashed up my Aria Pro II guitar which was a bargain at 60 and sounded pretty good despite having zero sustain, got me a taste for single coil sounds again as it had a coil tap....first guitar was an encore strat copy which I used on two recordings, listening back it just sounds cheap and nasty now :D

Been close to buying some new guitars recently (epiphone, stagg...) but really want to stop myself from going for 2nd bests....quite into the look of a fender cyclone which is cheap as chips, but I need to try one out first....other than that....think I really want a les paul junior, which Gibson only sell as part of their custom guitar workshop, love the sound of P90's, that and maybe a Les Paul 1954 Gold Top.....can but dream I suppose....

ESP LTD Hybrid-300, great guitar and was only made for a short time (guess most of ESPs buyers didn't want to stray from the pointy metal beast style)

Ibanez SA160QM good solid backup guitar. need to give it some attention really as it's been sittingin the cupboard unloved for a while

Freshman acoustic. Really nice and affordable acoustic.

I've also got a squire strat kicking about that was my first guitar.

Forgive me but it can hardly be a U.S. tele if it was made in Mexico' date=' can it, ?[/quote']

well it IS a us standard tele. i just said i think it was made in mexico. surely just cause it's called a us standard tele doesn't mean it was made in the us? i really have no idea where it was made i just don't think it was actually made in the US for the price i paid for it. the name just refers to the spec of it doesn't it?

as you can probably guess i know very little about the technical aspect of guitars.

ah...connie's got that bass. :)

is it good? the man in the bruce millers just seemed eager for me to buy it and told me a bit about it, i was kinda in a hurry aswell so i never tried it out.

on that note how much roughly will it cost to get a spilt humbucker fitted, you know the ones i mean, i hope.