aberdeen-music

Minu$$$$$$

rune

Having been a huge fan of minus from iceland on their work from "jesus christ bobby" and "hey johnny", i then got their latest offering "halldor laxness". Absolute fucking pish, how a band that played thrash metal on it's first two cd's then play icelandic pop on their third.

Thus followed 5 k's in kerrang and even a appearance in one of ea sports games, fucking sellouts. They obviously don't give a fuck about their fanbase. Minus are nothing more than sell outs so they can gain commercial success and more money, hell maybe that's why they cancelled their aberdeen gig because their wasn't enough interest. Whatever happened to believing in what you play and morals? They have none.

Having emailed the band about this they had no reply, another example that these guys don't give a fuck about their fans, utter selfish bastards that only care for themselves.

If their is justice in the music world these sellout fucks will crash and die.

Have a small hardcore fan base, or go get a bajillion more fans and make some money.... I know which one i'd go for. If you managed to get a track on an EA game you'd jump at the chance - probably one of the best ways to reach a new audience. Before they're supporting and endorsed by Metallica their fan-base would probably be huge anyway, and replying to every single e-mail.... hahahahahaha, yea right.

They're not even that good anyway - pretty pants band to open the leeds weekend with, not impressive at all, every single 'rawk 'n' rolll' clich EVER squeezed into just one line-up.

Have a small hardcore fan base' date=' or go get a bajillion more fans and make some money.... I know which one i'd go for. If you managed to get a track on an EA game you'd jump at the chance - probably one of the best ways to reach a new audience. Before they're supporting and endorsed by Metallica their fan-base would probably be huge anyway, and replying to every single e-mail.... hahahahahaha, yea right.

They're not even that good anyway - pretty pants band to open the leeds weekend with, not impressive at all, every single 'rawk 'n' rolll' clich EVER squeezed into just one line-up.[/quote']

Don't you believe in morals?

Not everything has pound signs on it............

I was a huge fan of Jesus Christ Bobby, and loved them live at Lava - noisy hardcore genius - and yes, they've changed their sound a fair bit, but they've ALWAYS had rock n roll running though it all. I think Halldor Laxness is an ace album - interesting pop smeared rock n roll, and really don't see them as musically cliched at all. Still ace live. Personally, if I'm in a band and want to play something ifferent, I'll do it, and it'd be selling out to do exactly what the fans want if it ain't true to me. I'd imagine they've had several e-mails from angst-laded hardcore fiends, telling them off for going soft....

They are shits for cancelling 2 Aberdeen dates.....

Don't you believe in morals?

Not everything has pound signs on it............

Who's to say they're doing it for the cash, they're probably just trying to expand on their fan base but will end up reaping the benifits. I'm sure they'd rather play to a big audience in places bigger venues as opposed to 30-40 people in a wee club. You also didn't answer the question, would you turn down an offer for a track on an EA Sports game?

I was a huge fan of Jesus Christ Bobby' date=' and loved them live at Lava - noisy hardcore genius - and yes, they've changed their sound a fair bit, but they've ALWAYS had rock n roll running though it all. I think Halldor Laxness is an ace album - interesting pop smeared rock n roll, and really don't see them as musically cliched at all. Still ace live. Personally, if I'm in a band and want to play something ifferent, I'll do it, and it'd be selling out to do exactly what the fans want if it ain't true to me. I'd imagine they've had several e-mails from angst-laded hardcore fiends, telling them off for going soft....

They are shits for cancelling 2 Aberdeen dates.....[/quote']

Have been told that their new live show is totally melodic even with their old material...

Who's to say they're doing it for the cash' date=' they're probably just trying to expand on their fan base but will end up reaping the benifits. I'm sure they'd rather play to a big audience in places bigger venues as opposed to 30-40 people in a wee club. You also didn't answer the question, would you turn down an offer for a track on an EA Sports game?[/quote']

Yes i would turn it down. I believe in what i do. I really do think that a large part of the metal community has turned their back on them, thus they have lost alot of fans with their change of style, and no it hasnt improved their status as a money making outfit as i found out on their website that they do still get poor turnouts as one of their newer fans mentioned. Looks like they look silly now

Having emailed the band about this they had no reply' date=' another example that these guys don't give a fuck about their fans, utter selfish bastards that only care for themselves.

If their is justice in the music world these sellout fucks will crash and die.[/quote']

How many tedious e-mails do you think they get from whining 'fans' like yourself about 'selling out'? Think how many bands in the world there are and go listen to some other band or the Minus album you like instead of moaning about how much you hate the new one. Bands progress. Deal.

How many tedious e-mails do you think they get from whining 'fans' like yourself about 'selling out'? Think how many bands in the world there are and go listen to some other band or the Minus album you like instead of moaning about how much you hate the new one. Bands progress. Deal.

Since their a small, little known band they wouldn't get many emails at all so that's not a valid arguement. Progress? Their new sound doesn't appeal to me. I regard their new sound as very boring and is nothing new. Progress as you call it is down to personal opinion and not fact.

Go listen to some other band? i do, plenty infact. That is totally missing the point of my thread. You can't ignore the fact that minus have changed their sound to have more commercial appeal.

Indeed they were. I liked the hardcore stuff' date=' but much prefer the more rock stuff. Minus are ace, anyone who cries 'sell out' isn't. If the were trying to 'sell out' (i.e play simply for profit), why didn't they start playing emo? Straight-up rock is hardly the now-sound at the moment.[/quote']

So you don't regard their new sound to be more commercially acteptable?

I certainly do.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I've never even heard of Minus, but bands change their style all the time, and it's only very rarely there's a change for the better. If a band "goes soft" or signs to a major, I don't buy any more of their stuff. It's brilliantly simple. If you like a band, buy their records. If you don't, don't. It's not worth getting irate over it. There is still plenty of raging noise out there if you look for it.

Have been told that their new live show is totally melodic even with their old material...

So you haven't seen them since the new album came out? The true worth of a band is ONLY measured in a live senario. How can you have such a strong and final opinion on a band you've never experienced?

Fair enough, you can say whether you like a band or not after listening to their record that's only really half the picture.

Go and see them, THEN make up your mind.

minus were never thrash metal.

they were however' date=' one of the finest bands i've ever seen play in aberdeen. they kicked ass at lava with charger.[/quote']

I didn't enjoy them at the Lava gig, but i will say this about them for all there heavy sounds they produced you could see the Rock 'n' Roll band screaming to get out.

They reminded me at the time of the SPACE AGE PLAYBOYS era Warrior Soul ie Punky Rock n' Roll.

So you haven't seen them since the new album came out? The true worth of a band is ONLY measured in a live senario. How can you have such a strong and final opinion on a band you've never experienced?

Fair enough' date=' you can say whether you like a band or not after listening to their record that's only really half the picture.

Go and see them, THEN make up your mind.[/quote']

I havent but ive been told from second hand experience. He was disillusioned with their new look. I have seen them live.

Guest Nikola Tesla
Having been a huge fan of minus from iceland on their work from "jesus christ bobby" and "hey johnny"' date=' i then got their latest offering "halldor laxness". Absolute fucking pish, how a band that played thrash metal on it's first two cd's then play icelandic pop on their third.

Thus followed 5 k's in kerrang and even a appearance in one of ea sports games, fucking sellouts. They obviously don't give a fuck about their fanbase. Minus are nothing more than sell outs so they can gain commercial success and more money, hell maybe that's why they cancelled their aberdeen gig because their wasn't enough interest. Whatever happened to believing in what you play and morals? They have none.

Having emailed the band about this they had no reply, another example that these guys don't give a fuck about their fans, utter selfish bastards that only care for themselves.

If their is justice in the music world these sellout fucks will crash and die.[/quote']

Geese an I thought I could be elitist sometimes..

Minus are both good as a hardcore band (read: not trash) and a rock n roll band (not pop) They still incorporate interesting structures into their music.. its just blasted out in a rock form which from all I have seen, seems to suit them a hell of a lot more than the 'noisecore' look/sound.

If they had actually 'sold out' they would sound something like good charlotte and be touring arenas right now instead of playing little shitholes all around various countries. and be playing cover stars to kerrang... none of which they are.

simple thing here... dont like em dont buy their records.. don't moan about it, dont send them emails. Just dont listen/buy it then they wont have your money to shove up their noses and sell out even more.. Which would hence satisfy your morals.

Geese an I thought I could be elitist sometimes..

Minus are both good as a hardcore band (read: not trash) and a rock n roll band (not pop) They still incorporate interesting structures into their music.. its just blasted out in a rock form which from all I have seen' date=' seems to suit them a hell of a lot more than the 'noisecore' look/sound.

If they had actually 'sold out' they would sound something like good charlotte and be touring arenas right now instead of playing little shitholes all around various countries. and be playing cover stars to kerrang... none of which they are.

simple thing here... dont like em dont buy their records.. don't moan about it, dont send them emails. Just dont listen/buy it then they wont have your money to shove up their noses and sell out even more.. Which would hence satisfy your morals.[/quote']

So you can't see that they have let down part of their fanbase? Without their original fanbase from the first two cds, the third one would never of happened. There are alot of dissapointed fans with their new sound. Dont you think they owe them something for remaining loyal and buying their first two releases?

It really does suggest to me that with their new release its like "fuck our original metal fanbase we want more $$$"

You can't deny that the new sound is way more acceptable within the music community.

Which goes against their previous sound as alot of people frowned on it.

Guest Nikola Tesla

Sorry man... but if their 'metal' fanbase consists of close minded people as your self they should be fucking with you. I personaly don't see the let down, i like all of minus' albums. Personaly its much better if a band show ability in other ways of music, not just battering people's ears in.

Another thing... who cares if people frown on their music style? If you base your music tastes from who's more extreme/underground. You will most probibly listen to some utter shite. Considering most bands who try to make people frown on them for extremity are shit.

Guest Nikola Tesla

Right ok. Now we've established that you're just another person who doesnt like the bands new direction. If you said that in the first place and put in that it was your opinion. Instead of being a bullish twat and calling them sell outs like some stereotype hardcore kid. A lot more people would have probibly taken it a lot better.

Oh yea an they are NOT and never were a metal band. They were hardcore :up: .