aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2014

Soda Jerk

Smaller teams with less-good players need a formation that only utilises the very simplest of roles.

I would start with a 4-4-2 - players adapt to this quicker than other formations, I've found - and keep everything simple:

GK (D)

FB (S) - DC (D) - DC (D) - FB (S)

WM (A) - CM (S) - CM (D) - WM (A)

DLF (S) - AF (A)

From there start to make small tweaks dependent on how your squad is balanced - maybe put wingers in instead of the wide midfielders, or a target man where your deep-lying forward is. But small changes, one at a time to see how they fit.

One of the most crucial pairings is in central midfield, it can take ages to get that balance just right. As an example, it seems reasonable that you'd have a ball-winning midfielder in there on 'defend' alongside maybe an advanced playmaker on 'support', but this leaves gaps because a BWM will actively go and seek the ball within their area rather than plugging gaps that an anchorman or defensive midfielder might. I tend to always make my defensive CM a deep lying playmaker on 'defend' as someone to break up opposition attacks and dictate the tempo of the game from there. Difficult to find players that are good at that though, especially for Millwall.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes
  • Upvote 1

I always save before I accept a job and save again under a new filename as soon as I'm appointed. Then if I don't fancy it I can revert. What's the longest you've ever spent with one club? I've never made it past 8 seasons. I was so bored of Arsenal by then but I said I wasn't leaving until I won the Champions League. As soon as I did I started declaring interest in other jobs and the cunts fired me, within weeks of winning a Premiership / FA Cup / Champions League treble. They dominated English football for years afterwards as well. I'd signed mostly young players and left them super wealthy.

I always save before I accept a job and save again under a new filename as soon as I'm appointed. Then if I don't fancy it I can revert. What's the longest you've ever spent with one club? I've never made it past 8 seasons. I was so bored of Arsenal by then but I said I wasn't leaving until I won the Champions League. As soon as I did I started declaring interest in other jobs and the cunts fired me, within weeks of winning a Premiership / FA Cup / Champions League treble. They dominated English football for years afterwards as well. I'd signed mostly young players and left them super wealthy.

37 seasons with the dons on FM11 :D 

• Upvote 2

Nah, I adopt a strict only saving when I'm done playing philosophy.  Its too easy and tempting to backtrack.  I think its more interesting and fun when you make mistakes: like leaving a club you've spent  6 seasons carefully building, or signing Fernando Torres.  On my old computer I used to save every 10 minutes as it always overheated!!

I always lose interest around about season 5 or so, and start again from the present. Once the game becomes too populated with those weird looking regens becoming the best players in the world, and the former (genuine) best players in the world start playing for teams in the lower leagues, I start to feel like I am in unknown territory, and I bail.

I started a new save last night with Southampton. I've brought the Premier League as up to date as I could be bothered to with the editor in terms of transfers, so Southampton have been pillaged of all their best players, but are filthy rich. I'm going to flick dollar bills around like I'm mo'fuckin' Puff Daddy.

I'm on a good run at the moment, highlight from last night was beating Man City 2-0 in the Champions League. Hud at! Enjoying playing as Celtic, which I definitely didn't do when I was getting humped every week as Millwall. Really want to start an Arsenal save soon, I always play as Arsenal but I definitely need to get better at it first.

I'm not doing amazingly with Celtic in my first season but well enough to keep the fans off my back (for now). Top of the league in December, and undefeated, but only 5 points clear, a few too many draws. Now I've settled into regular tactics and a formation that seem to work for me, the team are playing some nice stuff, Leigh Griffiths up front and Kris Commons on the left are my standout performers. Griffiths is rattling them in, 4 goals in one game against Motherwell, and another hat-trick somewhere else. Fraser Fyvie is bossing my midfield as well. Luciano Becchio is coming in in January to partner Griffiths since my other strikers aren't really performing and Stokes is pretty annoyed with me and requested a transfer. Becchio hasn't played much in the past two seasons but his goalscoring record prior is pretty impressive. I had Leroy Lita on trial too who scored 4 in one match for my reserves but I could only afford one of them.

Got knocked out of the League Cup at the Quarter Finals which was a blip. Still in the Scottish Cup but took a replay and Extra Time to beat fucking Dumbarton. That'll teach me to play a reserve team and experiment with tactics. Thankfully I had Griffiths on the bench to get me out of jail. Had a tough CL group, Man City, Paris St Germain and Bayern Munich! Finished bottom unfortunately, but I think I did pretty well to earn a win and two draws in that group. I went in to the last game 3rd and a point away to Man City meant I could have snuck through in 2nd place, but my team completely capitulated and I lost 6-0. I broke my superstition of 'never go to bed on a loss' but it was 3am by this point and I was pissed off.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just fucking lost the Champions' League final 1-0 to Atletico Madrid thanks to a header from VICTOR MOSES FFS.

That after completing the domestic treble (+ charity shield). My team is mighty, with good depth, and I have some amazing youngsters coming through, so will try and win five trophies next year (charity shield, domestic cups, league and Champs' League).

Signed Marc-Andre ter Stegen on a pre-contract then bought it out so he joined in January. Will need to manage both de Gea and ter Stegen pretty well to keep both happy. Will likely play ter Stegen in the domestic cups and de Gea in the Champs' League and Premier League.

Some of my most promising regens:

:love:

HDBLiKA.png

3ge4yhy.png

TGyp4th.png

WFlF9La.png

HELIO BACKHOUSE

I've just fucking lost the Champions' League final 1-0 to Atletico Madrid thanks to a header from VICTOR MOSES FFS.

That after completing the domestic treble (+ charity shield). My team is mighty, with good depth, and I have some amazing youngsters coming through, so will try and win five trophies next year (charity shield, domestic cups, league and Champs' League).

Signed Marc-Andre ter Stegen on a pre-contract then bought it out so he joined in January. Will need to manage both de Gea and ter Stegen pretty well to keep both happy. Will likely play ter Stegen in the domestic cups and de Gea in the Champs' League and Premier League.

Some of my most promising regens:

:love:

HDBLiKA.png

3ge4yhy.png

TGyp4th.png

WFlF9La.png

HELIO BACKHOUSE

BRICK SHITHOUSE more like!

• Upvote 3

Just rounded off a remarkable first season as Arsenal manager. Got off to a seriously shaky start, couldn't nail down tactics and was sort of trial and erroring, less than ten games into the season I was called in to explain myself to the board. I turned it round though and despite playing pretty poorly in a lot of games and having shot-shy strikers, I kept scraping narrow wins. Ended up winning a League, FA Cup and Champions League treble. Still not really sure how I managed that. The board complained a lot about my Allardyce-esque tactics - my defence basically hoof it up to my wingers - it's ugly stuff, my midfield do virtually nothing, but it's working and in my contract negotiations I managed to persuade them to take "play possession football" off my requirements.

I didn't really make any marquee signings, just filled holes in the squad, Grant Hanley in at centre back as a squad player who actually kept Koscielny out of the team for most of the season, and Sebastian Rode and Claudio Yacob as holding midfielders. So yeah. In my game Grant Hanley has a Champion's League medal.

They've given me 75 million to spend next season. I'm after a world class striker then investing the rest in young English players.