aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2014

Soda Jerk

I'm still rocking 4-4-2. A strikeforce of 2 capable frontmen seems unstoppable. I always go for pure energy in midfield. Box to box, stamina, determination, strength and a bit of pace. They just charge all over the place, like a pair of David Luiz's. Keep the real technical ability to the wingers, full backs and forwards. Direct, high tempo, pressing, exploit the width, overlap etc.

I barely ever have more than 50% possession, but I am hammering 30 attempts at goal, and outscoring nearly anyone. Even with a million year old Clarence Seedorf as my linchpin. Some work rate for an oldie.

Im playing a 4-2-3-1 with two covering centre backs (mainly to avoid an ME bug) a left full back on attack, right full back on support. Two central mids, one set to support, the other defence. An advanced playmaker on attack in front of those two. A left sided inside forward on attack (which is why the left back is on attack, the inside forward pulls inside and creates space) a right winger on support, and a deep lying forward on attack. I use short passing, more expressive, slow tempo, work into box, play narrow and exploit the flanks as my main attacking formation. For the big games i play with a flat 3 across the middle of midfield and change the instructions to direct passing, quicker tempo, more disciplined and drop deeper, but its not as solid as i would like, im going to play around with roles a bit. I try and not use too many specialzed roles and set the team to play more fluid which seems to work well in this one. 

Nah not at all, i have one set up so he marks a striker, if they play with two i set up the central mid on defense to basically sit as a third slightly further forward centre half.

There are too many long balls over the top of your defense with certain set ups, you might have seen them, the long punts, usually from a defender that just seems to pass over everyone. If you set up with a stopper it can be worse. 

That works equally as well, I just like the two covering centre backs as they sit a wee bit deeper and give a bit more room to the three guys in front of them who are much better ball players. I do get caught out a bit with the attacking left back tho, he is by far my most booked player, just because he gets caught out too high up the pitch at times, but its worth it for the attacking option, the inside forward becomes like a second striker at times, with the left back becoming the winger.

Do your instructions to "play narrow" and "exploit the flanks" battle against each other?

No, because the play narrow is the defensive shape, the exploit the flanks is the attacking shape. So when i dont have the ball i want my team compact, as soon as i get the ball i want the midfield to spread, if you will, and give me the attacking width i need.

I also use exploit the middle and play wider if i am struggling to create any space or good chances. It can pull a midfield apart and create gaps for my quick attacking guys. 

Yeah, I usually use a narrow, high pressing defensive style and then exploit the flanks on attack - as an attacking formation.  You can even get your wide men to hug the touchline, which gives you more width with out and out wingers. In a defensive formation I usually stand-off a lot more and get more men behind the ball.  It sacrifices possession, but makes counter attacking much more effective: let them lose their shape themselves and wait for their inevitable passing error.   

I changed my tactic from attacking to defensive and am doing a little better in the league slowly drifting into mid table, its a real learning curve, the board are off my back for the time being and finally got that elusive away win a 6-1 trouncing of high flying Aldershot, just need to get through the season and try not to get dragged back into a relegation dog fight.

I'm top of my Europa league group with two games to go.  Only need a point to qualify, I think.  It's basically down to a 4-1-4-1, deep, containing tactic and the odd nicked goal.  Down at 8th in the SPL though, but only 12 points off 2nd place.  Will need to concentrate on that more once my euro run inevitably comes to an end.  It's frustrating, because we're doing well in Europe, and are set to retain the league cup if we beat Caley in the final, but players are still coming to me saying we're underachieving!   

hmm after that last post went on the most horrendous run of form, 10 without a win then got a win against woking then hauled into the chairmans office again after a defeat by Halifax, said the wrong things to him and was sacked.... I save weekly so went back and beat Woking again and this time got a draw against Halifax but am under severe pressure all the time now as just above relegation zone.  Its so frustrating I have the better of many games but scoring since i went defensive is a major issue... dunno gonna try keep this save going get to the end of the season if I can and really put some thought into it, think I need to change this system, got a feeling it was designed for top class teams with world class players not conference donkeys and journeymen!!!!

No matter who I start a save with, I always seem to manage to punch way above the weight of the club, and exceed expectations. I always manage to win the title by the end of the 3rd season. Done it with Hertha Berlin, Southampton and now Vitesse. The latter I did in the first season. Seriously easy, as you get first pick of Chelsea's young players who can't get a game, of which there seem to be hundreds. Ajax aren't very good either, so it's a breeze.

Are there any teams who are total no-hopers? Shite squad, no money, who are dead-certs for the drop? Any country, though I'd prefer a top-flight no-hoper, if possible. I right fancy a proper horrible relegation battle, where the fans hate me and everyone in the dressing room wants me dead.

No matter who I start a save with, I always seem to manage to punch way above the weight of the club, and exceed expectations. I always manage to win the title by the end of the 3rd season. Done it with Hertha Berlin, Southampton and now Vitesse. The latter I did in the first season. Seriously easy, as you get first pick of Chelsea's young players who can't get a game, of which there seem to be hundreds. Ajax aren't very good either, so it's a breeze.

Are there any teams who are total no-hopers? Shite squad, no money, who are dead-certs for the drop? Any country, though I'd prefer a top-flight no-hoper, if possible. I right fancy a proper horrible relegation battle, where the fans hate me and everyone in the dressing room wants me dead.

Hearts. Massive point deduction, no money at all, will have to sell players, and will most likely go down in your first season, then you will have a good challenge re-building the club. 

I usually find St. Pauli to be quite difficult.