aberdeen-music

Lou Reed ...

Diesel

I'm sure I read somewhere that they spent a lot of time on the road touring and avoiding the NYC scene because they didn't think they were appreciated and they weren't making much headway commercially which doesn't suggest to me that they didn't give a fuck.

I've always felt that I should probably like the VU but i could never really get into any of the albums though I did like a few songs here and there.

The context was more on Lou Reeds attitude throughout his career rather than what his previous band may have done, although I dont seem to read that article the same as you in any case.

What's wrong with that? It's a valid question, especially since I then gave examples of artists not giving a fuck about what people thought and making groundbreaking music, AND THEN drastically changing their style to criticism from fans/journalists - using 2 artists from your previous posts.

Admittedly then I went off into a bit about how relevant Lou Reed was when compared to those 2 artists - but I did finish strongly in the last paragraph when I said that Lou reed made music that he wanted to regardless of commerical concerns. Which in context with the whole of Steve Albini's quote makes perfect sense about not giving a fuck.

People that don't read all of a post before dismissing it = fannies.........

Argh. If that's what Albini was actually getting at, as Monster Zero suggested, great. My complaint was that comment "about not giving a fuck" is myopic drivel; it does not "make perfect sense". Nothing to do with the notion itself of whether one should have commercial concerns, if that is indeed what he was trying to say.

Edited by scottyboy

The context was more on Lou Reeds attitude throughout his career rather than what his previous band may have done, although I dont seem to read that article the same as you in any case.

But his attitude in the band is part of that surely. It's how I read it and other articles and anecdotal things suggest similar.

Argh. If that's what Albini was actually getting at, as Monster Zero suggested, great. My complaint was that comment "about not giving a fuck" is myopic drivel; it does not "make perfect sense". Nothing to do with the notion itself of whether one should have commercial concerns, if that is indeed what he was trying to say.

Calling something drivel just because you don't understand/agree with it is pretty myopic too dude. 

Calling something drivel just because you don't understand/agree with it is pretty myopic too dude. 

Christ. Really. It's myopic drivel, in my very humble opinion (and it would appear, something similar to a few others who posted).  As opposed to paragraphs of strawman fallacies...

Are we done yet?

http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/features/interviews/from-the-vaults-an-interview-with-lou-reed/

The above interview also suggests, in several passages, that Lou Reed did give a fuck.

He gave a fuck about his music and wanting to have it heard as he wished it to be heard, of course he did but he still didn't approach things with commercial or critical gain in mind is what I am trying to say. And I think what Albini said. If you have listened to the breadth of his life's work I think thats a fair assessment. I don't own everything he ever did but I have a fair spread from the VU through to early 00's. 'Transformer' is probably the closest he ever came to a 'commercial' record and even that is debatable other than 'Walk on the Wild Side' - you could say that the world caught up 20 years later when they used 'Perfect Day' in Trainspotting and for that charity thing. Edited by Monster Zero

He gave a fuck about his music and wanting to have it heard as he wished it to be heard, of course he did but he still didn't approach things with commercial or critical gain in mind is what I am trying to say. And I think what Albini said. If you have listened to the breadth of his life's work I think thats a fair assessment. I don't own everything he ever did but I have a fair spread from the VU through to early 00's. 'Transformer' is probably the closest he ever came to a 'commercial' record and even that is debatable other than 'Walk on the Wild Side' you could say that the world caught up 20 years later when they used 'Perfect Day' in Trainspotting and for that charity thing.

Yeah, that's the point I was making though. He clearly does give a fuck about his music and how it's perceived by others. I'm not overly familiar with his solo work (i guess i was put off by Walk on the Wild Side and Perfect Day).

Actually the one VU song I will regularly skip...for some reason I just don't like it much....

:eek: My favourite from the VU&Nico album changes quite a lot but Heroin is always up there, absolutely love it.

Yeah, that's the point I was making though. He clearly does give a fuck about his music and how it's perceived by others. I'm not overly familiar with his solo work (i guess i was put off by Walk on the Wild Side and Perfect Day).

Both those songs are great!

Christ. Really. It's myopic drivel, in my very humble opinion (and it would appear, something similar to a few others who posted).  As opposed to paragraphs of strawman fallacies...

Are we done yet?

Strawman Fallacies is AT LEAST as pretentious and tool-ish as anything Steve Albini's ever said.

So is "I think you miss my point sir", "in my very humble opinion" and "are we done yet?"

You owe Steve Albini an apology my friend!!

• Downvote 1

But he still made what he wanted to make without commercial or critical gain in mind remains my point. There's a difference between making music with those gains as the primary focus and adjusting your sound to suit and making what you want to make regardless of the appeal. Its not really important, personally I don't think Lou Reed solo nor early Velvet Underground had much broad commercial appeal. Later VU stuff was much more palatable to wider audiences because it was much more 'mainstream' sounding.

But he still made what he wanted to make without commercial or critical gain in mind remains my point. There's a difference between making music with those gains as the primary focus and adjusting your sound to suit and making what you want to make regardless of the appeal. Its not really important, personally I don't think Lou Reed solo nor early Velvet Underground had much broad commercial appeal. Later VU stuff was much more palatable to wider audiences because it was much more 'mainstream' sounding.

Yeah, he can (and did) still do that whilst giving a fuck though. I do agree that there is very little commercial appeal in most of his output though.

I know what it means, you absolute fanny.

Calling my posts a Strawman Fallacy is a MASSIVELY pretentious way to try to score a point though. And completely untrue.

You asked what "not giving a fuck" meant in the context of "art for art's sake" - how did my answer misrepresent anything? Just because you don't agree with/understand a response doesn't make it invalid.

Also, neg-repping someone for disagreeing with you is pretty childish. I'd do it back, but i'm not a petulant cunt.

• Upvote 1