aberdeen-music

Weezer - the most important rock band of the last decade

Guest Tam o' Shantie

weezer are easily one of the most important rock bands of the last decade! without em jimmy eat world would never have broken and neither would a ton of other bands with that 'emo' catchy chorus sound. not that i'm calling weezer emo but they blew the doors wide open for geeks in bands to make it big. and they influenced people like the deftones as well, also a hugely important band of the last decade! and they had great songs about sweaters. and huge solo's. and amazing chorus'.

i'm not sure if they were THE most important band of the last decade but they're certainly in the top 5, and that's a fact.

no idea who would be the most important though, too many to choose from.

I think tehre were more important bands around but I definately think they are/were one of the best rock bands in the last decade. The Blue Album is easily one of my favourite albums. Rivers voice is just top notch in the album and the songs share a beautiful contrast of clean and distorted guitar. Amazing guitar melodies and catchy basslines. Id say more but im tired meh.

EDIT: Most imporatant band in the last decade I would say Oasis. They have helped managed to start so many bands to get onto the spotlight and also influenced a few more at the same time.

For myself it would have to be Green Day.....prior to listening to Green Day I was stuck in a time warp haze of Hendrix, Beatles, The who etc.....NOTHING that was current appealed to me....nirvana, soundgarden, pearl jam...whoever....I think after Cobain's suicide a lot of grungers ("smellies") either got further depressed, or thought "fuck this, don't wanna be heading that way!" and dookie was the perfect album to crossover to.....I put down my Sgt.Peppers album to listen to it :D

And yeah...then once you listen to one punk band...blah blah.....you wonder why you've wasted the past 10 years of your life....

AS FOR weezer.....the only song I know by them is that Buddy Holly song...so yeah...not very important at all :D

I would say Rage Against The Machine (I presume they count as being from the last decade? They were still together up until 2000)

- They started the whole rap / rock thing in earnest (I know Faith No More were as well, but they are very quirky and off - the - cuff. Rage were direct and to the point.)

- Loadsa bands try to sound like them

- Never off "rock" jukeboxes

- Most popular t - shirt at music festivals

- Without them we wouldnae have that whole "Vrrrrr-de-deeeee-deeee-vrrrt" guitar sound!

- Fuck you I won't do what you tell me. In general, I would say that is the defining statement in Rock from any band from the last 10 years - Okay it was recorded in 1990, but they played it live right up until they split up.

- Ask most folk and they'll say they like them (Obviously someone's gonna reply and say "I dinnae like them" now.)

- They dancefloor always fills up no matter where you are when they are played (Anyone remember the Palace dancefloor filling up in 2 seconds when Killing in the Name or Bullet in the Head came on!????)

Everyone's got their own most important band of the last decade, but I think if you did a poll loadsa folk would mention Rage.

I would say Rage Against The Machine (I presume they count as being from the last decade? They were still together up until 2000)

- They started the whole rap / rock thing in earnest (I know Faith No More were as well' date=' but they are very quirky and off - the - cuff. Rage were direct and to the point.)

.[/quote']

I thought that was Chili Peppers that started it with their early albums.

But yes I would agree they were an important band.

- They started the whole rap / rock thing in earnest (I know Faith No More were as well' date=' but they are very quirky and off - the - cuff. Rage were direct and to the point.)

- Loadsa bands try to sound like them

- Never off "rock" jukeboxes

- Most popular t - shirt at music festivals

- Without them we wouldnae have that whole "Vrrrrr-de-deeeee-deeee-vrrrt" guitar sound!

- Fuck you I won't do what you tell me. In general, I would say that is the defining statement in Rock from any band from the last 10 years - Okay it was recorded in 1990, but they played it live right up until they split up.

- Ask most folk and they'll say they like them (Obviously someone's gonna reply and say "I dinnae like them" now.)

- They dancefloor always fills up no matter where you are when they are played (Anyone remember the Palace dancefloor filling up in 2 seconds when Killing in the Name or Bullet in the Head came on!????)

Everyone's got their own most important band of the last decade, but I think if you did a poll loadsa folk would mention Rage.[/quote']

I can see where you are coming from, but I think Zack De La Rocha's lyrics for the first album were based on his parental turmoil:

"fuck you ma, I won't do what you tell me" comes to mind, and with names such as "Freedom" and "Take The Power Back", I guess Rage were influencial on making teenagers go out and smoke crack