aberdeen-music

Old Roolz for Bands thread, retained for posterity

Flash@TMB

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ding:

What about a "house lead vocalist"' date=' then the real one can stand at the bar, have a pint and tell all the hot chicks what a great vocalist he is.[/quote']

Better still, why not have the same band play all night every night? Then all flash would have to do is a nightly plectrum inspection (just to check they are up to his exacting standards) and away you go. Another good idea would be to have the whole kit incredibly loud through the drum monitor (with sub) and then the drummer would have to play very softly (for fear of going deaf), this would have two benefits, first it would increase the life span of the drum heads by about ten and the rest of the band could play at girly volumes and not be drowned out by the drummer.

I think i'm getting into the swing of this now.... :ding:

Better still' date=' why not have the same band play all night every night? Then all flash would have to do is a nightly plectrum inspection (just to check they are up to his exacting standards) and away you go. Another good idea would be to have the whole kit incredibly loud through the drum monitor (with sub) and then the drummer would have to play very softly (for fear of going deaf), this would have two benefits, first it would increase the life span of the drum heads by about ten and the rest of the band could play at girly volumes and not be drowned out by the drummer.

I think i'm getting into the swing of this now.... :ding:[/quote']

So according to you, I'm a control freak because I won't agree to swap drum kits 4 times a night...

...Yet you consider it acceptable to tell me how to operate my business, then rant on and on and on and on because I wont make the changes that you've suggested. Give me a break, you don't even frequent the bar (thank God for small fuckin mercies)! Even my dog let's it lie if I give him the last bark.

So do me a favour, make your final sarcastic comment then find another thread to play with.

So according to you' date=' I'm a control freak because I won't agree to swap drum kits 4 times a night...

...Yet you consider it acceptable to tell me how to operate my business, then rant on and on and on and on because I wont make the changes that you've suggested. Give me a break, you don't even frequent the bar (thank God for small fuckin mercies)! Even my dog let's it lie if I give him the last bark.

So do me a favour, make your final sarcastic comment then find another thread to play with.[/quote']

I don't expect you to change kits at all....and have never suggested that.

I have never made any suggestions as to how you're business should be run, I wouldn't know where to start.

I have made no suggestions for changes.

I do frequent the bar occasionally.

I do go on a bit, I'm well known for it, but I just got a little miffed at the (in my opinion) overly controlling and one sided rules and regs that you impose on the "local" acts. I am fully aware that time and customer considerations are important to you, but no more so than some other venues in the town who seem to manage without the gestapo tactics.

I apologise if any of my comments have pissed you off in any way even though they may appear to have been made for that very purpose, I have the interests of the bands at heart really.

I appreciate that you have put a lot of time, effort and money into creating a new venue for original music in Aberdeen for which I thank you.

I have spent too many years looking at things from the bands perspective and having to work round, bend or simply ignore rules that venues try to impose which would impair the performance of the bands that I looked after.

My last post was intended to be very tongue in cheek as it appeared that you had lightened up and seemed more willing to be flexible within certain parameters, which was what I was trying to ascertain right from my first post in my usual heavy handed and sarcastic style.

I am a little sad that because of a few stupid comments on a message board that I appear, from you're remarks to be unwelcome in you're bar, if that is you're genuine reaction to a little harmless criticism then I think you should think of a career change.

Fucking off now.....

G...

OK no worries. The original post HAS undergone several large edits based on the feedback.

When we first took over, everything was geared towards what the bands wanted. This didn't work, and if we'd stuck with it then the bar would have gone broke. We now operate primarily from the customers perspective, because we rely on the customers for income. This has been working much better. That's why I overreact when someone suggests anything that sounds remotely like a step backwards.

The thread had lightened up, but unfortunately I interpreted your comments as continued jibes aimed at our policy, even though the policy had been relaxed a lot from it's original form.

You ARE welcome in the bar. My last comment was a heavy handed way of saying that we'd take your input more seriously if you were never out of the place.

I am sorry that things have deteriorated to this extent. That's the joy of the internet. Personally I believe that what's on these forums STAYS on these forums and should not be connected in any way to real life.

So let's start over again <--- BTW I REALLY MEAN THAT, I never hold grudges for anything as trivial as a difference of opinion.

Deal?

Hopefully to sign off on some of the other points I offer this by way of expanation:

The main issue with drumkits is that we only have room for one on stage, and since there is no time to swap kits between bands, then we've elecetd to use a house kit as opposed to a different kit each time. We've also commited to keeping it in good working order.

Our model differs from some of the other venues. There are plenty of venues that operate the backline plus hire in a vocal rig type deal. There are plenty others with an installed, or semi installed standard type rig.

Given there's no shortage of those facilities we decided to offer an alternative. The bar is fitted with an extremely high quality rig, digital desk, 24 track digital recorder, and a carefully designed stage. We've also taken care to eliminate reasonance from the stage, walls, ceiling, and floor. Care has also been taken to ensure that the band is audible and visible from everywhere in the room. To this end we've had to restructure the entire rear of the premises. There's also 2 sets of full range delay speakers site down the length of the bar. The capacity has also increased, and we now have a reasonable sized dancefloor/mosh pit located in front of the stage. On top of all this we've invested a lot in soundproofing.

Some younger bands actually lack gear altogther (I'm still amazed by this). For them we offer a plug and go service, in certain cases they even use some of our instruments LOL.

Our equipment isn't user friendly, and it's taken us a long time to get to grips with it. Only now are we finally getting close to the sound that we were originally aiming for. It's not possible to let an untrained person loose on the controls. I'd been doing the sound for 2 years on a 24 channel analogue desk prior to the new setup and I was TOTALLY lost to begin with.

I don't expect you to change kits at all....and have never suggested that.

I have never made any suggestions as to how you're business should be run' date=' I wouldn't know where to start.

I have made no suggestions for changes.

I do frequent the bar occasionally.

I do go on a bit, I'm well known for it, but I just got a little miffed at the (in my opinion) overly controlling and one sided rules and regs that you impose on the "local" acts. I am fully aware that time and customer considerations are important to you, but no more so than some other venues in the town who seem to manage without the gestapo tactics.

I apologise if any of my comments have pissed you off in any way even though they may appear to have been made for that very purpose, I have the interests of the bands at heart really.

I appreciate that you have put a lot of time, effort and money into creating a new venue for original music in Aberdeen for which I thank you.

I have spent too many years looking at things from the bands perspective and having to work round, bend or simply ignore rules that venues try to impose which would impair the performance of the bands that I looked after.

My last post was intended to be very tongue in cheek as it appeared that you had lightened up and seemed more willing to be flexible within certain parameters, which was what I was trying to ascertain right from my first post in my usual heavy handed and sarcastic style.

I am a little sad that because of a few stupid comments on a message board that I appear, from you're remarks to be unwelcome in you're bar, if that is you're genuine reaction to a little harmless criticism then I think you should think of a career change.

Fucking off now.....

G...[/quote']

I cant win' date=' first you want me to fuck off, then you want a reaction..... :rolleyes:

You're every bit as bad as me... :moody:

OK....

I love you... :help:

I love the moorings... :up:

I love the rules... :swearing:

2/3 of the above are lies.....

Can you guess which?[/quote']

That's easy. You love The Moorings, only I'm guessing that you liked it better before we altered it.

That's easy. You love The Moorings' date=' only I'm guessing that you liked it better before we altered it.[/quote']

People seem to have this problem with reading between the lines with me, my comments were all connected with the rules you planned to impose on bands, I made not comment about how the bar is run, layed out, staffed, decorated, lit, furnished, cleaned, financed or what kind of bog paper (if any) is used in the shit house.

My only criticism (and one which you can do little about) is, when I was a real regular 1972/75 the juke box was fuckin class, and current..... :band:

G...

People seem to have this problem with reading between the lines with me' date=' my comments were all connected with the rules you planned to impose on bands, I made not comment about how the bar is run, layed out, staffed, decorated, lit, furnished, cleaned, financed or what kind of bog paper (if any) is used in the shit house.

My only criticism (and one which you can do little about) is, when I was a real regular 1972/75 the juke box was fuckin class, and current..... :band:

G...[/quote']

I think I understand what you're driving at. I guess it depends what you term current. Back in 1972 most of mainstream rock could be classed as current. Eddie Cochran had only been dead 12 years!

The contents of our jukebox reflects what the customers have requested. Typically 5 slots contain local band CDs. Around 20 slots are brand new releases les than a year old. A further 40 slots are 1-10 years old. Mainstream rock has existed since 1954, so that only leaves 35 slots to cover approx 40 years of music.

1972-1975 was a 4 year period 30 years and 3 keepers ago. We still have 4 current regulars that date back to that period and beyond. One of the guys has been coming to the bar since the 1950s when he was 18 and it was run by Simon McLeod. I myself have been regularily attending a mere 14-15 years, and Laura a couple of years longer.

My comments were of course directed at current music and not you or the bar, but on reflection, current music tends to bear an uncanny resemblance to what I was brought up on....which brings up a whole new gripe....I hate when music journo's and dj's describe some new band as "fresh" or "original" when to me they are clearly not but blatantly ripping off some 60's or 70's band/s.

My comments were of course directed at current music and not you or the bar' date=' but on reflection, current music tends to bear an uncanny resemblance to what I was brought up on....which brings up a whole new gripe....I hate when music journo's and dj's describe some new band as "fresh" or "original" when to me they are clearly not but blatantly ripping off some 60's or 70's band/s.[/quote']

Yeah I figured that out.

I think rock 'n roll has gone through several golden ages, and a couple of dark ages too. One day I saw some youngsters selecting 'Strange Kind of Woman' on the jukebox, and I thought "that's a bit before their time". Then I realised that I was listening to the same track at the same age. That was in 1990, the track itself dates back to 1973... your era LOL. So I guess it was a bit before my time too!

The current scene is I believe going to be much bigger than the early 90s one, and probably bigger than the early-mid 80s one. I wouldn't be surprised if it approached the 70s. I really hope it does. The late 90s were a God awful time. Some good tunes did appear then, but overall we were an endangered species. Last Saturday night some neds drove past the bar in a purple Vauxhall Corsa and shouted "Fuckin Goths" at us. In the late 90s we were so far into oblivion that even the neds didn't bother to insult us anymore. Not that I long to be gobbed on at bus stops again.

Yeah I figured that out.

I think rock 'n roll has gone through several golden ages' date=' and a couple of dark ages too. One day I saw some youngsters selecting 'Strange Kind of Woman' on the jukebox, and I thought "that's a bit before their time". Then I realised that I was listening to the same track at the same age. That was in 1990, the track itself dates back to 1973... your era LOL. So I guess it was a bit before my time too!

The current scene is I believe going to be much bigger than the early 90s one, and probably bigger than the early-mid 80s one. I wouldn't be surprised if it approached the 70s. I really hope it does. The late 90s were a God awful time. Some good tunes did appear then, but overall we were an endangered species. Last Saturday night some neds drove past the bar in a purple Vauxhall Corsa and shouted "Fuckin Goths" at us. In the late 90s we were so far into oblivion that even the neds didn't bother to insult us anymore. Not that I long to be gobbed on at bus stops again.[/quote']

God thats weird.....are you psychic? I saw Deep Purple on 14th October 1970 at the Music Hall....it was the night of my 15th birthday.

• 1 month later...

OK *straps in and braces self* we're going to try something a little controversial... *gulp*... we suspect that soundchecks are mostly a waste of everyone's time, so for a trial period of 1 month we're going to cut right back on them. After the trial period we'll reassess whether or not the full on soundcheck is worthwhile.

So this is the plan:

We'd like the larger pieces of equipment dropped off before 7.30pm. It's disruptive to go trailing a 4x12 cab through a large crowd of people during another bands set - we have to keep the fire exits closed during performance due to noise emissions.

We'll perfrom an initial line check in advance of the gig to ensure that all the mics are functioning.

Some things do need an individual check. Like for instance if someone brings along an instrument or device that we think might cause a bit of grief. Like a banjo... In those circumstances we need to check it out in advance. It's also worth setting up things like drum machines beforehand.

It'll be the responsibility of the individual musicians to ensure that their instruments and any FX pedals, amplifiers etc are all working before they depart for the gig.

Typically each band get an hour of total stage time. That hour encompasses setting up, playing the set, and packing away. In reality the first and last bands get slightly longer since they can respectively set up in advance / pack away after curfew. Depending on the complexity this equates to a performance time of 30-45min. Obviously this is flexible should we encounter a band that plays a longer set.

There will be a quick level check of the main instruments just prior to the band playing. this takes about 20 secs per instrument.

We'll make a rough guess of the mix in advance, then the guts of the acutal mixing will be done within the first minute of the first song. Truth be told this is always the case - even with a full on soundcheck. Things change between soundcheck and gig anyway.

There's likely to be some EQing taking place during the performance mostly to take account of the number of bodies in the room, and how they're affecting things.

With live music we're really just seeking to reproduce the exact sound of the drums instruments/amps and vocals through the PA. The only deliberate deviation/enhancement is to add a little reverb or delay to the vocal. Most of the EQ is there to handle feedback and restrict mic bleed.

The past 2 weeks circumstances have forced us to adopt this approach and it worked well, that's what gave us the idea. So we'll stick with it throughout November.

Potentially there are some major advantages with this method - these are why we're keen to explore it:

1) Unless they're bringing along something unusal the musicians don't need to appear until just before the gig, or even just prior to their preformance (although I thinks it's rude not to watch the other bands).

2) It allows a reasonable crowd to build up in the bar prior to the first band playing. Most people don't like soundchecks.

3) During soundcheck we make some allowances for how the room will sound with a lot more people in it. Thus soundchecks are not a good indicator of how the actual gig will sound. Some people struggle to get their head round this part.

4) It encourages everyone to waste as little time as possible getting setup.

5) Lastly it dispenses with err... soundcheck critics.

We'll try it for a month a see fit like.

OK... GIVE ME YOUR WORST LOL!

• 1 year later...
what make of drumkit is it?

It's a hybrid. The drums are Premier maple wood. The stands are all Pearl. Can't remember the makes of the double kick pedal and the hi-hat stand off hand but I 'think' the pedal is a Big Foot, and the hat stand is an Iron Cobra... or something. The 2 crash cymbals are Zildjen, the ride is a Sabian AAX, and the hats are Sabian. Don't know the make of stool but it's big and comfy. We recently ordered a 16" floor tom, so that would give us 10", 12", 14" and 16" toms, that can be used in any cofiguration / permutation. The kick drum is a 21". The snare is Premier maple wood also.

Appologies for any misspells.

the pedal is a Big Foot

its a big dog double pedal

The kick drum is a 21"

this is highly doubtful flash, bass drums come in 20" or 22" but not in between generally. 21" bass drum would be a custom job, and then it'd be pretty much impossible to get skins for it.

its a premier artist maple kit i think.