aberdeen-music

Wrestling Thread

Lemonade

That WWE Network sounds amazing. 9.99 a month for all 12 pay per views live, Raw and Smackdown every week (on delay), all past WWE, WCW and ECW pay per views to stream whenever you want, new original programming, plus 1500 hours of back episodes of Raw and Smackdown etc. Basically Netflix but with nothing but WWE on it. And you can get it on XBox. I am definitely signing up to this.

All US sports are pretty great for these sorts of packages now. It's about time sports outside of the US took notice. I'd pay plenty for a Premier League equivalent.

Edited by Joda Serk

The one absolute fanny of a thing that fucks up the sport-specific streaming packages is the 'local market blackout' bullshit.

I can stream all games except those featuring local teams (yankees, mets, nets, knicks, jets, giants, rangers, islanders). Why? because the shitty local cable channels (and their corporate affiliates) have market rights. It seems mental that this exists. It's the only thing that prevents me from buying an NBA subscription (for which I'd probably be prepared to pay double what it costs if they did have local games).

Prem league coverage is fucking ace here because this concept doesn't exist - my streaming subscription gives me the entire premier league. The WWE obviously doesn't have this issue of course.

Give it another year I reckon. Everything will be moved to this kind of a-la-carte business model.

The one absolute fanny of a thing that fucks up the sport-specific streaming packages is the 'local market blackout' bullshit.

I can stream all games except those featuring local teams (yankees, mets, nets, knicks, jets, giants, rangers, islanders). Why? because the shitty local cable channels (and their corporate affiliates) have market rights. It seems mental that this exists. It's the only thing that prevents me from buying an NBA subscription (for which I'd probably be prepared to pay double what it costs if they did have local games).

Prem league coverage is fucking ace here because this concept doesn't exist - my streaming subscription gives me the entire premier league. The WWE obviously doesn't have this issue of course.

Give it another year I reckon. Everything will be moved to this kind of a-la-carte business model.

Yeah, the blackouts are a pain. NHL gamecenter is a great package, but over here, any game that's on Premier Sports is blacked out for 48 hours. Which includes pretty much all of the playoffs, making it a bit pointless really.

The Premier League suffers the same with Saturday 3pm kick offs, which are broadcast live all over the world, except in the UK. I don't think that will ever change, even if a streaming platform did become available. I'd pay big money for a seasonal package which offered every game ever, to watch whenever I want. Saturday 3pm game-in-game MULTI SCREEN FTW.

• 2 weeks later...

Gutted. I wanted to hear Joey Styles screaming as New Jack staples flaming dollar bills to Steve Corinos face etc.

I've been watching the old WCW one on there. Night of Champions or whatever it's called. Sting Vs Ric Flair. From when Sting had a blonde Guile style haircut and the pattern from a pair of mid 80's speedos painted on his face. Ric Flair looked like Ric Flair.

It went on for ages. Like 20 minutes. 10 minutes of which featured Ric Flair in a headlock. Remarkably dull. I think it was their first big match together. Luckily by the time the last Nitro came around they had actually gotten good at wrestling each other!

I need to find a copy of the Dean Malenko Vs Beniot cage match. Incredible WCW match.

• 4 weeks later...

Not watched wrestling in years, but seeing this the other day genuinely gave me chills. Seems as though Bryan could be/already is the new 'big deal' in WWE.

Moments like this don't happen often in dude's careers. Super cool.

I noticed the WWE network channel popped up on my apple TV yesterday. Looking into it, if I was into wrestling a bit more I'd think it's a great deal. Apparently you can watch all the old pay per view events from history. That's almost worth 10 bucks a month on its own.

They're offering a free weeks trial on WWE.com for folks in Poland. You can sign up there and watch it on your Apple telly probably.