aberdeen-music

Beginners Guitar- Help Needed

Flights

My little cousin has decided to take up playing guitar. He's only 9 so I've had a look online at some 3/4 sized guitars as I think he'd struggle with a full sized instrument. I'm having a bit of a nightmare though as he's left handed and all the smaller instruments seem to be right handed. Anyone got any idea where I could pick one up?

Does he definitely not want to play right handed? I write left handed but play right handed. Decided that it would be easier for buying instruments and also your fretting had should in theory already be a bit stronger/more flexible than a hand that is rarely used before beginning to play guitar.

Should say though I am not completely left handed. Play racquet sports right handed.

I should of mentioned he's looking for an electric guitar but thanks anyway kybosh.

I find it shocking that fender have 136 guitars on their website. only six are available left handed!

Think I'm going to have to get him a full sized one.

Like Chris said, it means he won't grow out of it.

Does he definitely not want to play right handed? I write left handed but play right handed. Decided that it would be easier for buying instruments and also your fretting had should in theory already be a bit stronger/more flexible than a hand that is rarely used before beginning to play guitar.

Should say though I am not completely left handed. Play racquet sports right handed.

I'm a bit like you but the other way round. I write with my right hand but I play (some) racquet sports left handed and originally played guitar left handed until I got my first guitar and it was a right handed model. I'll ask him tonight.

I'd go for him learning on a right handed guitar, as it will save him so much grief in the future if he wants to keep it up.

I would agree , but I would still go for a 3/4 as it will be much easier to start with , they cost pennies really and I'm sure you'll sell it easy when he grows out of it :D

I'm certainly glad that I ended up playing right handed. There doesn't seem to be much choice in the left handed guitar market.

My other half is a lefty and the options are super limited, unless you go for a super expensive custom shop or the like. Fender just give you standard Strats or Teles, so good luck if you like some of their more esoteric models. Plus, if you play right handed - and are left handed - you are letting yr good hand to all the hard work.

Plus, if you play right handed - and are left handed - you are letting yr good hand to all the hard work.

Never really thought about it that way to be honest. He's had a shot of my tele and he really enjoyed having a go but he did say 'It's the wrong way round for me'. I think I'll have to take him to R'n'B at some point to have a bash at both a right handed and left handed guitar to see what one he's most comfortable with.

Never really thought about it that way to be honest. He's had a shot of my tele and he really enjoyed having a go but he did say 'It's the wrong way round for me'. I think I'll have to take him to R'n'B at some point to have a bash at both a right handed and left handed guitar to see what one he's most comfortable with.

Top Smashing Pumpkins fact of the day: teh b0lly is left handed, but plays right handed.

• Upvote 1