aberdeen-music

Punk: US vs UK

Jaaakkkeee

It was just to get a bit of a debate. The good points and bad points of both sides.

Well, as far as debate is concerned, I’m surprised some folk still seem to consider The Clash to be the pinnacle of punk rock, considering how much punk rock has evolved and what it has to offer now, and also how their idea of punk was naughty hand gestures, and playing on Top of the Pops. They were a rock band who wrote good songs, and also had a fair say in what punk rock would sound like in years to come, but they weren’t the only ones, and they were far from the pinnacle, in my measly and unreasonable opinion, of course. I love a lot the post-UK77 punk rock like Leatherface and Snuff, and a lot of the newer UK punk rock bands who are around at the moment, but in its formative years, there can’t be much debate against the Americans doing it with much more conviction. Whilst the likes of The Jam were appearing on television in suits, bands like Black Flag were jumping in a borrowed van, and touring 11 months of the year, releasing a record themselves on the 12th month, and doing it all over again the next year. According to documents like Our Band Could Be Your Life, and Rollins’ Get In The Van (which you should have a read of if you have any interest in punk rock or DIY music) they were drinking water from the sinks of public toilets and eating dog food balled up in old, thrown out bread for sustenance, and playing 300+ gigs a year, which were more often than not getting shut down by the police. Then you’ve got the UK77 lot who are still going, like the Stiff Little Fingers and the UK Subs, who still sound the fucking same as they did 30 years ago, where as the likes of Husker Du and The Replacements went from being a snotty hardcore kids, evolving into bands who wrote some of the best alternative rock music ever written in the space of about 8 years. In some (but not all) circles of UK punk, nothing has changed. They are still wearing bleached jeans, leather jackets and Mohawks, playing the same songs, releasing the same “best-of” every other year. I like loads of UK bands, but I don’t think I care a jot about all the stuff that gets put on those “Best Punk Album Ever” compilations CD’s that come out around Fathers Day, where punk starts and ends with the Pistols, Clash, that 2-4-6-8 Motorway song and Ian Dury and the fucking Blockheads. I think the bands who were involved with the formative years of punk rock in the UK had a tendency not to change, or ever want to change. 3 chords and a rant about Thatcher still seems to be enough to this day. Fair play, I suppose, but the thing that stands out the most to me from the American movement of punk rock and hardcore is that it (mostly) never wanted to stand still.

• Upvote 2

See thats what i hate about this punk nonsense, its cool to like Black Flag, but its not cool to like Greenday or Blink. The elitest attitude of some "punks" was always very off putting for me. I may hate Black Flag as a band, but i dont think they are less relevant or important than the punk music i liked.

I have held off putting any of my fav punk bands up because it doesnt really fit in with what your prob talking about overall.

I think Warning-era Greenday are hugely under-rated (if you ignore the title track, fucking dull as fuck song). That record has some of their best work. Castaway, Deadbeat Holiday,Blood, Sex and Booze and Church on Sunday are all fucking epic.

Blood, Sex and Booze is probably my fav Greenday song, your right as well that was probably one of their best ever albums, and probably more in the spirit of being "punk" than any of their stuff around that time, they did what they wanted without really caring if it would sell like Insomniac.

Stroopy you have given me confidence!

In my tastes i would def say American bands were better, purely because of the Cali skate punk thing and obviously pop punk. Pennywise, Lagwagon, Blink, Greenday, Alkaline Trio, NoFx, Reliant K, and more Ska stuff like Less than Jake (they had one belting album). Uk could never really produce a band that matched these, there were a few who used to tour like Douglas, PMX, and a few others but they never got to the level of the American bands.

Did Insomniac sell well?

It's their best record by a huge way IMHO but I always thought it was completely overlooked by the masses?

xx

I thought it sold quite well for that kinda music, could be wrong tho i was quite young back then. I remember getting an American copy from a girl who fancied me but i couldnt stand her, that CD changed that!! It does have some brilliant tracks on it like, infact i dont think there is a song id skip and the two songs that make up the one big song as amazing!

Well, as far as debate is concerned, I’m surprised some folk still seem to consider The Clash to be the pinnacle of punk rock, considering how much punk rock has evolved and what it has to offer now, and also how their idea of punk was naughty hand gestures, and playing on Top of the Pops. They were a rock band who wrote good songs, and also had a fair say in what punk rock would sound like in years to come, but they weren’t the only ones, and they were far from the pinnacle, in my measly and unreasonable opinion, of course. I love a lot the post-UK77 punk rock like Leatherface and Snuff, and a lot of the newer UK punk rock bands who are around at the moment, but in its formative years, there can’t be much debate against the Americans doing it with much more conviction. Whilst the likes of The Jam were appearing on television in suits, bands like Black Flag were jumping in a borrowed van, and touring 11 months of the year, releasing a record themselves on the 12th month, and doing it all over again the next year. According to documents like Our Band Could Be Your Life, and Rollins’ Get In The Van (which you should have a read of if you have any interest in punk rock or DIY music) they were drinking water from the sinks of public toilets and eating dog food balled up in old, thrown out bread for sustenance, and playing 300+ gigs a year, which were more often than not getting shut down by the police. Then you’ve got the UK77 lot who are still going, like the Stiff Little Fingers and the UK Subs, who still sound the fucking same as they did 30 years ago, where as the likes of Husker Du and The Replacements went from being a snotty hardcore kids, evolving into bands who wrote some of the best alternative rock music ever written in the space of about 8 years. In some (but not all) circles of UK punk, nothing has changed. They are still wearing bleached jeans, leather jackets and Mohawks, playing the same songs, releasing the same “best-of” every other year. I like loads of UK bands, but I don’t think I care a jot about all the stuff that gets put on those “Best Punk Album Ever” compilations CD’s that come out around Fathers Day, where punk starts and ends with the Pistols, Clash, that 2-4-6-8 Motorway song and Ian Dury and the fucking Blockheads. I think the bands who were involved with the formative years of punk rock in the UK had a tendency not to change, or ever want to change. 3 chords and a rant about Thatcher still seems to be enough to this day. Fair play, I suppose, but the thing that stands out the most to me from the American movement of punk rock and hardcore is that it (mostly) never wanted to stand still.

Certainly couldn't accuse The Clash of this. Personally I don't really care if a band was playing on top of the pops or in a sewer full of shit, I like The Clash's music more than any other band I've heard described as punk.