Favourite records of 2011?

girl anachronism

Ampere - Like Shadows

Good Luck - Without Hesitation

Algernon Cadwallader - Parrot Flies

Twin Sister - In Heaven

Twin Atlantic - Free

10,000 Leagues/John Cota Split

I'm probably missing out 20 million other amazing records that came out this year, but there's some.

The best album for me this year remains Earth ~ Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light I.

It's aceness is highlighted by the way it can transcend age, my 4 year old loon loves the opening song 'Old Black'. He likes singing along to the twangy guitars.

Tom Waits ~ Bad as Me is also great. Because it's Tom Waits.

And Wooden Shjips ~ West is awesome and led me to finally get around to listening to them.

The following are all also worthy mentions ~

Cat's Eyes ~ Cat's Eyes

Mastodon ~ The Hunter

Low ~ C'mon

Jesu ~ Ascension

Fucked Up ~ Davd Comes to Life

PJ Harvey ~ Let England Shake

I found the Josh T. Pearson album merely OK for some reason.

There are probably others that should be mentioned but it feels like I have largely bought more back catalogue stuff than new this year...

My top 25

22|Lucy | Wordplay for Working Bees

20|Kendrick Lamaar | Section 80

15|Balam Acab | Wander/Wonder

12|The Black Keys | El Camino

8 |Bill Callahan | Apocalypse

5 |Arctic monkeys | Suck it and See

4 |Andy Stott | Passed Me By

3 |PJ Harvey | Let England Shake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2tGhWVMc2E

2 |Araab Muzik | Electronic Dream

1 |Nadia Oh | Colours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqRxHboYjg

Just reading this thread has highlighted how little attention I pay to new music-

I've got into very little the last year- I tend to listen to a lot of Radio 4 podcast's (comedy of the week, etc etc.)

Music wise stuff that has given me a chubby-

Battles- gloss drop.

Steve Earle - whatever it's called- the new one with waitin' on the sky to fall on it.

Copy ha-ho...the LP...it might have been last year, but it fell into my grubby paws this year. good record.

Earth. Liked it. Love all those cd's.

that's about it.

Oh, aye I really liked the 13 Megadeth LP. He's a nutter- but I like his voice, and his paranoia et al.

No particular order.

Saigon - "The Greatest Story Never Told"

Pharoahe Monch - "W.A.R."

The Black Keys - "El Camino"

Beastie Boys - "Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2"

Bad Meets Evil "Hell: The Sequel"

Mastodon - "The Hunter"

The Roots - "Undun"

Josh T. Pearson - "Last of the Country Gentlemen"

Kendrick Lamar - "Section 80"

Ramesses - "Possessed by the Rise of Magik"

Rwake - "Rest"

Shabazz Palaces - "Black Up"

Pretty good year.

I think I got more from the Saigon album than any other release this year. I'm just a huge Just Blaze fan; I could listen to his production non-stop for a week and not get bored, and Sai is just nice on the mic. The album holds-up incredible well for something that was recorded five years ago.

Here is my top 10. It's not really in any order apart from number 1 which should come as a surprise to no one who knows me.

1. WILD FLAG – Wild Flag

2. Men – Talk About Body

3.King Creosote & Jon Hopkins – Diamond Mine

4. PJ Harvey – Let England Shake

5. Kate Wax – Dust Collision

6. M83 – Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

7. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart – Belong

8. Fucked Up – David Comes To Life

9. Low – C'mon

10. The Antlers – Burst Apart

I feel bad for having to leave out Yuck, Washed Out, Tim Hecker, Atlas Sound, Feist, Fleet Foxes and Tune-Yards who all made albums I listened to loads this year because they were ace. 2011 has been fucking great for music. I also really liked the new Drake album and the Jay Z/Kanye West one as well. The A$AP Rocky mixtape was really good as well but I've only listened to it a couple of times.

Stuff I've fallen in love with over the past few weeks of my mission to listen to as many things as possible but couldn't put on the list because i've only listened to the album once or twice include:

SubRosa - No Help For The Mighty Ones

Gem Club – Breakers

Craft Spells – Idle Labor

Little Scream – The Golden Record

Football, Etc. – The Draft

Wooden Shjips – West

Holy Ghost! – Holy Ghost!

Okay, I'm done. Too much musics. No such thing I guess, but such a bitch for making end of year lists.

I liked these albums from this year:

And So I Watch You From Afar - Gangs

Heights - Dead Ends

Funeral For A Friend - Welcome Home Armageddon

Mastodon - The Hunter

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Russian Circles - Empros

Young Legionnaire - Crisis Works

Vessels - Helioscope

Essence - Lost in Violence

Jeniferever - Silesia

*shels - Plains of the Purple Buffalo

Rival Schools - Pedals

I think I listened to more new albums this year than any year before. I probably heard about 60 or 2011 releases which was a bit too much to really appreciate properly especially as I would still listen to older albums too. You get people who listen to one or two hundred new albums a year and I have no idea how they do it.

Which one are you?

I'm doing that too. I don't even know if I listened to 10 albums from this year.

I'm Lesley, or 'LD' at the bottom of my reviews. The last thing I did was the JoFor review. And now this Top 10 shenanigans.

I totally forgot to even mention Bon Iver and St. Vincent. Both cracking albums, especially the St. Vincent album.

Also, Jake, Spotify has been an absolute gem in my mission to listen to albums from this year. £4.99 a month is a fucking steal.

• Upvote 1

I'm Lesley, or 'LD' at the bottom of my reviews. The last thing I did was the JoFor review. And now this Top 10 shenanigans.

I totally forgot to even mention Bon Iver and St. Vincent. Both cracking albums, especially the St. Vincent album.

Also, Jake, Spotify has been an absolute gem in my mission to listen to albums from this year. £4.99 a month is a fucking steal.

aha, I know who you are!

Yeah I might start listening to spotify more. I installed it and never looked at it since. I tend to hear one song live or on youtube then buy an album. Hence why I'm skint.

Still only listened to the Bon Iver album once and really don't have any urge to listen again. Kinda strange I loved For Emma so much, I guess it's just a bit out of sync with my 2011 tastes. Or maybe it's just rubbish.

The Araabmuzik album has been getting a lot of play the last week. I really love it, I would happily have it as my no 1 of the year, It just can't replace Nadia. I should have two number ones, or it could be 1.5.

I could listen to this all day long. Just so lovely