aberdeen-music

Video Games that are both New and Good

Soda Jerk

I nipped in to town with the intention of buying NHL12, but nowhere has it yet. Not a single shop. What gives? It came out last week, but no one has had a copy yet.

Came out with a pre-owned LA Noire instead. Not bad for 20 notes. It might not get a look in yet as I'll probably rinse the FIFA demo tonight. Looking forward to seeing what they've done with the manager mode. Other than the tactical defending, I believe this part of the game has received the biggest overhaul, with the added deadline day excitement.

Demo feels so sluggish and the threw ball seems totally broken and useless. Not enjoyed it although FIFA is always pretty shit when it's two top teams against each other.

They usually iron out kinks before the actual release, too. Though they seem to be saying this new player intelligence thing means that players with high vision like Xavi will pick out passes others can't. I hope that doesn't mean they are the only players who can do a through-ball at all.

I WANT A NEW NORMAL FUCKING TONY HAWKS GAME. One button press to jump, super combos and grinding on helicopter blades. What's wrong with that?

Right on. Skate is infuriating, and the combos aren't as ridiculous. Ollie > kick flip > manual is considered SICK COMBO. Snore. I want to do a 1080 triple kickflip nosebone into a backslide on the gutter of a skyscraper, fall 100 feet and manual through traffic.

They usually iron out kinks before the actual release, too. Though they seem to be saying this new player intelligence thing means that players with high vision like Xavi will pick out passes others can't. I hope that doesn't mean they are the only players who can do a through-ball at all.

I dunno I played like 6/7 games there even as Barca it was tough to make the threw pass work the new defending just over complicates in IMO there's times you're trying to do something and you miss by millimeters and your totally fucked. The computer is also far too accurate at it defenders catching up with super quick strikers despite being about 5 feet behind them.

I liked Skate 2. It was challenging and stylish.

I'm super excited about FIFA12, and the prospect of a sexy new manager mode, as that's the main game mode I play. I remember the FIFA11 demo played way better than the actual game did, so I hope this isn't the same with 12 :( I can't download it though as I'm back with my parents and their internet is really, really slow and bad and my Xbox can't seem to connect to it.

Soda Jerk, LA Noire is right good. Give it a wee while as you wont get into it immediately (at least that's what I found).

NBA 2K11 is probably the best sport game I've ever played. It's as perfect a digital representation of basketball as you're going to get and there are so many options to customise the gameplay to your liking. Everything about it is ace, and the presentation is second to none. I can't go back to FIFA now because it feels like something a 15-year old threw together on a £20 budget in-comparison.

Should be cheap at the moment as there's a new one out soon, and with the NBA in lockdown why bother with 2K12?

LA Noire is pretty good so far, though interviews are annoying if you get an accusation wrong and you have to go all the way back to the beginning of the interview. I've got one with 5 possible answers. I've picked two that make the most sense, but they are both wrong. It's a bit tedious.

FIFA demo is alright. I can't get the ball off the computer, or score a goal, but it's alright. Looks slick.

interviews are annoying if you get an accusation wrong and you have to go all the way back to the beginning of the interview.

That's only at the start as a tutorial. Later on if you fuck up an interview that's the end of the interview.

I got bored of LA Noire. It could have been so much better than it was. Decent game but not as good as it should have been. Unfortunately the company that made it have gone bust so unless Rockstar picks it up I doubt there'll be a sequel.

I nipped in to town with the intention of buying NHL12, but nowhere has it yet. Not a single shop. What gives? It came out last week, but no one has had a copy yet.
Weird, my mate Callum got it. Fuck knows where from, but he got it. I'm intending trading in a bunch of games to get it and was hoping to do it tomorrow. Fuck sake, they better have it.

LA Noire is pretty good so far, though interviews are annoying if you get an accusation wrong and you have to go all the way back to the beginning of the interview. I've got one with 5 possible answers. I've picked two that make the most sense, but they are both wrong. It's a bit tedious.

FIFA demo is alright. I can't get the ball off the computer, or score a goal, but it's alright. Looks slick.

Where did you get LA Noire for 20 quid, also what platform?

NBA 2K11 is probably the best sport game I've ever played. It's as perfect a digital representation of basketball as you're going to get and there are so many options to customise the gameplay to your liking. Everything about it is ace, and the presentation is second to none. I can't go back to FIFA now because it feels like something a 15-year old threw together on a £20 budget in-comparison.

Should be cheap at the moment as there's a new one out soon, and with the NBA in lockdown why bother with 2K12?

I have been wanting to play this for a while. Think ill try pick it up soon. As well as NBA Jam obviously.

Weird, my mate Callum got it. Fuck knows where from, but he got it. I'm intending trading in a bunch of games to get it and was hoping to do it tomorrow. Fuck sake, they better have it.

Game have the display cases, but are waiting for the delivery. No idea why they have it on the shelves. I was annoyed.

The demo is pretty great. I haven't played an NHL game for ages so it was pretty different. First person view during fights was awesome. I also like the right stick for body checking 360 degrees. You don't have to be skating right into them to give them a shove. Smashing them into the bench is fun as hell too. Couldn't quite get into shooting with the right stick though, difficult to hit one-timers.

I'll hopefully get it eventually.

One timers are easier than you'd think. Basically hold the right stick forward as soon as you release the pass and the receiver should let one go. I've played NHL 07 which was the first year with new controls, and NHL 10 a ridiculous amount. It's awesome. Spin o Rama, wrap shots from behind the nets, loose puck dekes around defenders. There's so much control over your player it's awesome.

I'm even sad enough to have videos of stuff online. I'll post some up when I get into work.

Came out with a pre-owned LA Noire instead. Not bad for 20 notes. It might not get a look in yet as I'll probably rinse the FIFA demo tonight. Looking forward to seeing what they've done with the manager mode. Other than the tactical defending, I believe this part of the game has received the biggest overhaul, with the added deadline day excitement.

Where did you get LA Noire for 20 quid and what platform?