aberdeen-music

The Village Studio

Kingbass

Well for a start, the only thing triggered on the track you mentioned is the bass drum. I used a Fat Kat trigger pedal to trigger a 909 bass drum sample, but all the drums are played live by myself.

The second thing is about different genres of music produced by Exile etc. The only genre I see Exile producing is guitar based indie / metal or whatever. Not exactly a wide variety of styles now is it?

Triggering drums is quite lazy in my opinion. I for one would not want to go into a studio with 6K worth of drums and cymbals, only for the sounds to be replaced by samples. What would be the point in that? I'd expect the engineer to put in the time and get a sound from the kit. Ok triggering samples is perhaps saving a bit of time in the studio, but nothing beats the sound of a well recorded kit. All it takes is a well tuned kit, and the engineer knowing about proper mic placement etc.

Thats fair enough, the snare to me sounded fake but ill easily take your word for it.

Well Indie, Metal or whatever have a variety of styles, but thats not the point, like it or not, the vast majority of bands looking to record in Aberdeen will be guitar bands, yes you may stumble across a few different things along the way but most of the people you will be hoping to become customers will play guitar based music, it would really help your cause if you had examples that show that kind of music off.

You miss the point with your last statement, you wouldnt go to Exile full stop if you could afford 6k worth of drums. Obviously if you spend that on gear you would want to record in a higher class of studio. The majority of bands going to Exile will have good enough guitars, amps and drums, but never as expensive as your making out.

Again ill point to the fact that you can criticise the way Mark from Exile, or Paul from Toms or Niall work and the quality they produce, but as people they are fantastic, you on the other hand come across completely differently, luckily for you this site is no where near as busy as it used to be, word of mouth in this small city gets about very quickly.

Thats fair enough, the snare to me sounded fake but ill easily take your word for it.

Well Indie, Metal or whatever have a variety of styles, but thats not the point, like it or not, the vast majority of bands looking to record in Aberdeen will be guitar bands, yes you may stumble across a few different things along the way but most of the people you will be hoping to become customers will play guitar based music, it would really help your cause if you had examples that show that kind of music off.

You miss the point with your last statement, you wouldnt go to Exile full stop if you could afford 6k worth of drums. Obviously if you spend that on gear you would want to record in a higher class of studio. The majority of bands going to Exile will have good enough guitars, amps and drums, but never as expensive as your making out.

Again ill point to the fact that you can criticise the way Mark from Exile, or Paul from Toms or Niall work and the quality they produce, but as people they are fantastic, you on the other hand come across completely differently, luckily for you this site is no where near as busy as it used to be, word of mouth in this small city gets about very quickly.

Can we get one thing straight here. I am not criticising the way any of those guys work. I've actually recorded at The Mill with various bands on numerous occasions over the years, and know Niall very well.

See an earlier post by Droid !! You don't need a dedicated studio area to produce a fantastic sound, just a bit of savy!! Your actually missing my point. I said that I wouldn't want to go into any studio with my kit just to end up triggering samples.

And no the snare on that track isn't fake. It was a Joe Montineri custom snare drum that I used on that track.

Can we get one thing straight here. I am not criticising the way any of those guys work. I've actually recorded at The Mill with various bands on numerous occasions over the years, and know Niall very well.

See an earlier post by Droid !! You don't need a dedicated studio area to produce a fantastic sound, just a bit of savy!! Your actually missing my point. I said that I wouldn't want to go into any studio with my kit just to end up triggering samples.

And no the snare on that track isn't fake. It was a Joe Montineri custom snare drum that I used on that track.

You have already criticised the quality of work these guys produce, hence the arguments in both threads you have heavily contributed towards.

You wouldnt buy a 6k kit to take it into the middle of nowhere to record it in a barn, that is the point, whereas my old premier royal kit, with 5 year old pinstripes on it would sound like someone hitting sticks against wet paper bags, so yes you would want to trigger it that is the point, most local drummer have very little clue about tuning and upkeep, we like hitting things, we dont go to Exile with a pitch perfect kit with brand new heads. Again tho you miss the point, yes you can get a good drum sound if you spend a while messing around wtih things, at Exile you dont have that, its not set up as a top of the market studio mark knows how he can work to produce good results, and he does that very well for what you pay. Its painless doing drums with him, and he can take any piece of shit kit and make it sound nice to the ears, again, most of the people booking recording time with Mark or Toms are usually not that flush with cash, they are cheap options compared to the hundreds of expensive studios you could choose, so mark uses a few tricks he knows to make a 200 recording sound like a 400 recording, whats the problem with that?

Musical snobbery is the worst thing in the world and the fact you have stuck your nose up at people who have worked with the Aberdeen music scene for over a decade and used what you see as their failings to promote your own work is a bad way to go about things.

• Upvote 1

You have already criticised the quality of work these guys produce, hence the arguments in both threads you have heavily contributed towards.

You wouldnt buy a 6k kit to take it into the middle of nowhere to record it in a barn, that is the point, whereas my old premier royal kit, with 5 year old pinstripes on it would sound like someone hitting sticks against wet paper bags, so yes you would want to trigger it that is the point, most local drummer have very little clue about tuning and upkeep, we like hitting things, we dont go to Exile with a pitch perfect kit with brand new heads. Again tho you miss the point, yes you can get a good drum sound if you spend a while messing around wtih things, at Exile you dont have that, its not set up as a top of the market studio mark knows how he can work to produce good results, and he does that very well for what you pay. Its painless doing drums with him, and he can take any piece of shit kit and make it sound nice to the ears, again, most of the people booking recording time with Mark or Toms are usually not that flush with cash, they are cheap options compared to the hundreds of expensive studios you could choose, so mark uses a few tricks he knows to make a 200 recording sound like a 400 recording, whats the problem with that?

Musical snobbery is the worst thing in the world and the fact you have stuck your nose up at people who have worked with the Aberdeen music scene for over a decade and used what you see as their failings to promote your own work is a bad way to go about things.

Perhaps if you replaced the 5 year old pinstipes, and spent a little bit of time learning how to tune your kit properly, then you wouldn't have to trigger samples??

I don't exactly see your band lighting up the charts? Better if you stick to your light weight folk music, real ale, and beards!! :up:

This statement is why I would quite like your business 'model' to crash and burn, if it hasn't already.

I actually can't believe your approach in this thread and the previous one you were heavily involved in. A little bit of criticism and you're flipping everything around to suggest that Aberdeen is cliquey and narrow-minded and unaccepting of the new.

In my experience, Aberdeen is very accepting of the new. What it isn't, however, is accepting of absolute morons.

• Upvote 4

This statement is why I would quite like your business 'model' to crash and burn, if it hasn't already.

I actually can't believe your approach in this thread and the previous one you were heavily involved in. A little bit of criticism and you're flipping everything around to suggest that Aberdeen is cliquey and narrow-minded and unaccepting of the new.

In my experience, Aberdeen is very accepting of the new. What it isn't, however, is accepting of absolute morons.

Welcome to the forum. :)

:up: