aberdeen-music

Planet of the Apemen

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

BBC News - Why is there only one human species?

I find all this sort of stuff really interesting, although I don't know that much about it.

I was just thinking whilst reading that article about different "races" of humans, and wonder if anyone has any real knowledge on the subject.

Has it ever been established "why" people have certain ethnic characteristics? There is the obvious difference in skin colour between (for example) people from Scotland, parts of Africa, Japan etc but also distinctive characteristics such as different shape of certain features etc.

Is this some form of evolution? Are white people white for a reason?

Are we all actually the same "species"? I assume we are because they tell us we are, but has it ever been shown that all humans of all ethnic backgrounds descend from homo sapiens? I assume we did or else someone would have told me by now that we didn't.... And as such, are we all a sort of "sub-species" of homo sapiens? Much in the same way as you get different species of other animals (like poodles and rotweilers...)

• Upvote 1

All dogs are the same species. The breed is different. They're pretty unique in that there is so much variety within the same species.

Im pretty sure all humans have 100% the same genetic makeup. It's all to do with breeding and environment adaptive evolution. A Peruvian from the andes for example has a much better respiratory system than a Scotsman because of millennia living at high altitude whereas a Scotsman can keep warm in colder weather due to the climate and the fact he shoves loads of thains down his greasy pie-hole. In crude terms, differences in skin color comes from exposure to the sun. We are all the same species. That is why scientists got so stoked when they discovered a wee guy's remains In guinea, because he was supposedly a different species of human.

I do know due to watching a few documentarys lately that recently scientists have discovered some human beings have some neanderthal dna after many many years of thinking neanderthal's were completly extinct...

Ive always been fascinated in eye colours and why if we all come from the same kind of base code why so many of us different coloured eyes....I dont understand why evolution would make our eye colours different when no coloured eye has an apparent benefit from another colour.

BBC News - Why is there only one human species?

I find all this sort of stuff really interesting, although I don't know that much about it.

I was just thinking whilst reading that article about different "races" of humans, and wonder if anyone has any real knowledge on the subject.

Has it ever been established "why" people have certain ethnic characteristics? There is the obvious difference in skin colour between (for example) people from Scotland, parts of Africa, Japan etc but also distinctive characteristics such as different shape of certain features etc.

Is this some form of evolution? Are white people white for a reason?

Are we all actually the same "species"? I assume we are because they tell us we are, but has it ever been shown that all humans of all ethnic backgrounds descend from homo sapiens? I assume we did or else someone would have told me by now that we didn't.... And as such, are we all a sort of "sub-species" of homo sapiens? Much in the same way as you get different species of other animals (like poodles and rotweilers...)

For finding it interesting, you've not got a great gasp of the basics of natural selection whatsoever. Different species? Bloody hell.

I do know due to watching a few documentarys lately that recently scientists have discovered some human beings have some neanderthal dna after many many years of thinking neanderthal's were completly extinct...

Ive always been fascinated in eye colours and why if we all come from the same kind of base code why so many of us different coloured eyes....I dont understand why evolution would make our eye colours different when no coloured eye has an apparent benefit from another colour.

You've answered your own question. If any eye colour DID benefit us, it would have been naturally selected and would predominate. (although of course in humans natural selection is pretty much non existent in the last few generations due to our agricultural and medical advances). One could argue natural selection in mankind has not occured for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Poverty was the main cause of death through most of the middle ages, not any kind of genetic variance

In the absence of any competetive advantage, genetic mutations can lead to all sorts of phenotypes. Such as different eye/hair colour.

For finding it interesting, you've not got a great gasp of the basics of natural selection whatsoever. Different species? Bloody hell.

+1 here. Biologicially speaking, a species is able to reproduce with one another and have children which can reproduce. Since all human races are capable of this, we are one species. The classic example of breeding which produces sterile offspring is a Horse and Donkey, producing a mule, which is sterile. Which must mean the horse and donkey are different species. (it's a bit more complex than that, I think some mules are capable of breeding but it's a general rule of thumb!)

Difference species tend to have different numbers of chromosomes which make natural reproduction impossible.

I don't think that's very fair. The classifcations of living things is quite tricky to get a handle on to some non-science minded folks.

One could argue natural selection in mankind has not occured for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

Humanity is still evolving. The modern world, farming, industry has a causal effect on natural selection. Natural selection isn't just about who dies before they can pass on their genes, it's about who is most successful at passing on their genes. Being born is a natural selection. Our species evolves every day.

Humanity is still evolving. The modern world, farming, industry has a causal effect on natural selection. Natural selection isn't just about who dies before they can pass on their genes, it's about who is most successful at passing on their genes. Being born is a natural selection. Our species evolves every day.

The two are closely correlated. It's impossible to pass on your genes if you die before reaching sexual maturity (in humans, after puberty). Our advances mean more people are living to this age. Even people with genetic diseases who would have died before this stage, are living long enough and being able to reproduce.

The only places with good examples of natural selection are those in poverty and without the wealth of the modern world. Eg Sickle Cell Anaemia providing increased resistance to malaria, which in turn means people can survive longer and have a greater chance of passing on this gene.

As for 'who is most successful at passing on their genes, even those who are infertile have help available, and with regards to selecting a mate (impossible to have a kid without a woman!) we also have surrogacy and natural selections by means of preferential selection of the most attractive people is also not really alive in our species.

However being a dickhead and not being able to keep a relationship with a woman is a means for not reproducing. It is one of the few behavioural adaptations still left preventing finding a mate :p It's not like when we walk outside we are confronted by predators. In the health and safety conscious world education has alleviated almost all dangers. It is generally known running in front of a car will not result in a good outcome.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

You must spread your ass cheeks and let Old Gold fuck you mercilessly before adding to his reputation again.

Guest Gladstone

Fuck off - I wasn't asking for a critique. I said I don't know much about it.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
Maybe I was a bit harsh, however I personally found the questions about human evolution akin to a grown man asking how to operate toilet paper. Cringe.

You do realise that some people have totally different learning backgrounds etc? I have never studied any of this stuff past primary school which was about 20 years ago.

I bet I know more about some stuff than you, but I wouldn't call you a moron for it.

Questions about human evolution are akin to asking how to operate toilet paper, aye? Stop being a bell-end.

Bit harsh, I'm fairly interested in evolution but wasn't sure the exact definition of what constitutes a different species.

For all I knew, Asians and Jews could be different species.

xx

You do realise that some people have totally different learning backgrounds etc? I have never studied any of this stuff past primary school which was about 20 years ago.

I bet I know more about some stuff than you, but I wouldn't call you a moron for it.

Questions about human evolution are akin to asking how to operate toilet paper, aye? Stop being a bell-end.

FIIIGHT!

xx

Guest Gladstone
No biting, hair pulling or punching below the belt please gentlemen. We are all mature and intelligent enough to have a lively debate without resorting to calling each other "bell-ends".

Surely we can call you a bell-end though? Seeing as you are one.