aberdeen-music

Sleeper Train from Aberdeen to London?

Johnny Mac

As far as I know it's just the one company that does these? I could be wrong though.

My advice is if you can choose your seat. I got stuck in one of those awful ones facing another two which meant that I had bugger all legroom and I am five foot fuck all so if you're a normal height you're even worse off. To top things off, about 1am some alkie got on and proceeded to conduct loud hourly phonecalls between grunting in his sleep and dropping his half full can of Carling.

So, essentially, my advice is if you can afford it get a bunk.

Stevie P, Kai and I had a great time sleepering our way to see Nick Cave in London in 2006. As soon as everyone went to bed we played poker (not a euphemism) with the stewardesses until the early hours. Slept like a baby in the wee cabin thing and woke up for breakfast in London.

So I guess the conclusion is that, if you have good company, it will be ace.

There is only one choice for a sleeper to London but I would suggest you also check out the following link to East Coast Trains

Journey selection

as you can see by the name at the end of the link I would guess they have a musican writing the program!

The only good thing I can say about the sleeper service is that if you really need to be in London in the morning the train will surely get you there. Planes can go tech and get hit by fog and all kinds of delays.

The train always gets to London on time but every time I go on it I promise myself I will never do it again. I just can't sleep on the train, I am forever rolling up the blind to see where we are - oh damn Carstairs - better shut the blind again and hope there isn't a full moon.

I like the Easy Jet service to Luton and then take their bus into London. It goes real fast in the bus lane through all the traffic in Hampstead. Hop off at Marble Arch and you are quickly and cheaply in the middle of London. Fly BE also offer a good service to London but it is far more expensive. Hopefully the addition of the new Easy Jet service to London Gatwick will have the effect of reducing Fly Be's fares.

Whether by train or plane - book ahead for the best bargain. Remember to add in an all day underground ticket.

I've megabussed it to London and Birmingham a few times. Awful. One time I had shingles and it was all over my back, burning pain. Now imagine that rubbing on the seat all the way to London. How to make a 12 hour bus journey even less fun. Nae chance of sleeping on the overnighter either, some pished cunts always get on in Dundee or Glasgow and yell all the way there.

EDIT - it's probably Stichman.

You had shingles? And you went on a megabus for 12 hours? o_O

Yeah, I've had shingles a bunch of times, used to get it a lot when I worked night shift and my immune system was a bit fucked from not seeing any sunlight. I've always been pretty lucky with it though, I only ever get the blisters, not the crazy fatigue / fever etc. so I've been able to just cover it up and get on with my day to day. I've known folk who've been off their work for 2-3 weeks with it. I was on my way to the Reading Festival that time, didn't affect my weekend, except for extreme discomfort from having blisters all over my back. It's not contagious either so I wasn't putting anyone else at risk, if that's what you meant.

Yeah, I've had shingles a bunch of times, used to get it a lot when I worked night shift and my immune system was a bit fucked from not seeing any sunlight. I've always been pretty lucky with it though, I only ever get the blisters, not the crazy fatigue / fever etc. so I've been able to just cover it up and get on with my day to day. I've known folk who've been off their work for 2-3 weeks with it. I was on my way to the Reading Festival that time, didn't affect my weekend, except for extreme discomfort from having blisters all over my back. It's not contagious either so I wasn't putting anyone else at risk, if that's what you meant.

No I wasn't thinking about it being contagious just that people I know who have described have always made it sound so horrible that you nobody would want to do anything other than stay at home.

I once got the megabus to london to get to Reading Festival, 1 each way :D

Sleeper Train from Aberdeen to London?

The Caledonian Sleeper is done by Scotrail, there are no other sleeper trains in the UK.

If you're on your own and want a berth then you'll share with someone of the same sex unless it's quiet (it's never predictably quiet). You can pay extra to have sole occupancy. The seated coach isn't that much different than taking the bus once you're actually settled down for the night and you'll only know from experience which you personally can get better rest in.

Try not to book the sleeper using anywhere other than scotrail website though as other train companies' software doesn't give all the options.

Caledonian Sleeper trains, sleeper train London to Scotland ScotRail - ScotRail

(me, I'd book far in advance to get a cheap private berth)

I know it's not exactly practical but I took the train in February to London from Glasgow and it only took 4.5 hours. Tickets were relatively reasonable so I guess it's about counting the cost of getting to Glasgow and the difference etc or maybe you just genuinely want to go on a sleeper train!