aberdeen-music

Remaking old films/rehashes of good films

MC Nice Andrew

Was going to stick this in pet hates but I felt it deserved it's on thread.

This negative feeling has been present for a while, though seeing this today exacerbated it.

Akira Script Polished, Casting Soon To Begin - Mania.com

It's maybe a little petty and narrow minded, though I can help but feel like everything is up for being updated and bastardised.

Thoughts?

In principle I don't have a problem with remakes as I think they can often be a good idea. But it does seem that these days many in Hollywood have got too comfortable and become lazy. Preventing good original material from being made and also a laziness which is affecting the quality of the remakes.

Its just beyond me why it is done in the first place. Surely the constraints on available technology at the time dictated the final outcome and the processes involved to make it what it is; using today's advancements esstenailly change the entire essence of the tone and perception of any given media.

Yes which is why a remake can be a completely separate and worthwhile entity.

I am staunchly against any form of remake. Would you rewrite a book?

A film is representative of its place in time; what the trends were, the socio-political climate, etc. Remakes remove the original from its moment in history, adds nothing new but only manages to create a culture of comparison. We could be done without the phrase 'it's not as good as the original' in my opinion. All remakes can get to fuck.

I am staunchly against any form of remake. Would you rewrite a book?

A film is representative of its place in time; what the trends were, the socio-political climate, etc. Remakes remove the original from its moment in history, adds nothing new but only manages to create a culture of comparison. We could be done without the phrase 'it's not as good as the original' in my opinion. All remakes can get to fuck.

What about a film based on a book?

What about a film based on a book?

Thats fine. Two different mediums. You can tell the same story via different means, I just don't like it when the same story is told via the same means as the original.

Edit: Anyone who says 'it's not as good as the book' is a nob. Again, it goes back to my point of there being a culture of comparing things with their original nowadays. A filmed adaptation is not in competition with the book.

I have no problem with remakes, reboots or reimaginings as long as they bring something new and, above all, are actually any good. Unfortunately, that's rarely the case or the motivation for producing them.

What is the point of making a live-action Akira in New York? It doesn't feel like a city that's about to explode. Tokyo, on the other hand...